We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96004 times)

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2014, 12:00:34 AM »
C. purpurascens seedlings, germinated early summer onwards last year. It's interesting to compare the germination and growth rates of the different pots (each from a separate plant).
Steve :o
I doubt that we have  that many C. purpurescens in the entire country!
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

omereser

« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2014, 12:25:06 AM »
Hello, I'm a teacher and amateur nature pfotographer in Afyon province (West Turkey). A small population of C. mirabile is living near of Afyon. I found a new natural leaf form of C. mirabile.

http://dogalhayat.org/property/tilebarn-sahipata/

http://cyclamenmirabile.blogspot.com.tr/

Greetings Turkey, Ömer ESER

SJW

« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2014, 12:48:03 AM »
I doubt that we have  that many C. purpurescens in the entire country!
 ;D
cheers
fermi

Fermi - as you know, the more you sow, the better the chances of finding something special! :). Yes, I suppose your hot, dry summers may not suit purpurascens as much as some of the other species but presumably it can be, and is, grown well in Aus? If you'd have wanted to land a low blow you could have said I have more seedlings than England have runs. ;D
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2014, 07:26:05 AM »
Hello, I'm a teacher and amateur nature pfotographer in Afyon province (West Turkey). A small population of C. mirabile is living near of Afyon. I found a new natural leaf form of C. mirabile.

http://dogalhayat.org/property/tilebarn-sahipata/

http://cyclamenmirabile.blogspot.com.tr/

Greetings Turkey, Ömer ESER

Hi Ömer,
It's a pleasure to look at all the cyclamen photographs you show us here - thank you very much for sharing with us!

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2014, 10:45:14 AM »
I suppose your hot, dry summers may not suit purpurascens as much as some of the other species but presumably it can be, and is, grown well in Aus? If you'd have wanted to land a low blow you could have said I have more seedlings than England have runs. ;D
Steve,
I think Otto and others grow it well in the Dandenongs and cooler parts of Melbourne, but I believe there was been a problem getting seed on the white forms.
And I would never sink so low to land such a blow, Steve, as I don't follow the Soccer! ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Otto Fauser

• Bulb Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Fermi , I am surprised how well C. purpurascens  and C . colchicum survived last week's 5 days of 40 plus degrees heatwave .
 C. purpurascens album is in flower now , but as I only have one mature tuber ( plus a few as yet un flowered seedlings) no seed set as yet .

Fermi do you know the difference between soccer and cricket ??
Collector of rare bulbs & alpines, east of Melbourne, 500m alt, temperate rain forest.

SJW

« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2014, 02:05:22 PM »

To be fair, Otto, the way we've played, it's been hard to tell the difference!

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2014, 02:14:35 PM »

Soccer: a professional  game played largely by over-hyped; over-paid; over-indulged; over-sexed, under-educated males. Cricket: of the English variety by a set of lily-livered, self-opinionated wingers who wouldn't recognise a challenge if it hit them in the face.  ::)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2014, 04:36:22 PM »
Correct on both counts David. I love football but only watch my local team consisting of lads who don't get paid and still get up for work on a Monday morning. Not pretty but much more honest. As for cricket I didn't realise it was a sport I thought it was a pub game like dominoes or shove halfpenny only you don't have to be as fit.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2014, 06:39:41 PM »
 ;) ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2014, 07:48:31 PM »
great germination Steve, I usually find it comes up in ones and twos from seed exchanges - what's your secret?
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

SJW

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2014, 12:42:46 AM »
great germination Steve, I usually find it comes up in ones and twos from seed exchanges - what's your secret?

Mark - I used to sow my own seed fresh in the summer and I'd get very patchy germination in the autumn. I'd then have to find bench space over winter to grow on pots with just a few seeds up. For the past few years I've delayed sowing until November or even December, when it's too cold for any germination to occur. The pots are kept cold and damp/moist over winter (I bung them in the shed but a cold frame is fine, freezing weather isn't a problem) and I get excellent germination from about late May onwards. It's important not to let the pots dry out as temperatures rise in Spring, of course. It's one of the species that doesn't seem to respond to the "Reading Method" at all.

SJW

« Reply #42 on: January 25, 2014, 01:26:11 AM »

Ömer - thanks for sharing these photos, it's good to see C. mirabile growing in situ. I was interested to see your location is Afyon so I checked the Cyclamen Society's 2003 and 2004 C. mirabile expedition reports to look at their recorded distribution of the species - the primary aim of the expeditions was to check on areas outside its known range to establish whether it had a wider distribution than that previously recorded. The area covered was from Aydin and Milas in the west, Muğla in the south, Nazilli in the north and extending east to Denizli, Dinar and Eğirdir. There seems to be a break in distribution between Denizli and Dinar which corresponds with a rainfall pattern as there is significantly less annual rain east of Denizli before increasing again around Lake Eğirdir (where there is a known population). The furthest north they found mirabile was on limestone between Çivril and Dinar. And, "...A short probe from Dinar in the direction of Afyon proved that the species is there as well, growing at a higher altitude..."

Anyway, this is a rather long-winded way of commenting that it looks like you've extended the known range of C. mirabile north-eastwards to Afyon. Well, at least in relation to the Cyclamen Society's recorded distribution data - local people will have known about them all along, of course! :)

omereser

« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2014, 01:07:13 PM »
Thank you Mr. Walter for your comment. My locality is newly for C. mirabile. This locality is near the Afyon city. A small mirabile population is living on the volcanic (trachyte) rocks of near the Afyon city. I wroten a popular article for Bağbahçe magazine. Tis is a new locality (Northernmost) for C. mirabile. Greetings Turkey, Ömer.

http://www.ngbb.org.tr/images/bagbahce/bb_51.pdf

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2014, 07:45:26 PM »
thanks Steve, in theory I should be getting ok germination because the Cyclamen Society seed doesn't arrive until November but still the germination isn't as good as you are getting.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal