We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96184 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #375 on: July 09, 2014, 04:14:59 PM »
Found this photo on google image of a Paxos olive grove in October. Looks like there's cyclamen growing everywhere.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-n3nbDzNlWQY/Uz52IOu8CwI/AAAAAAAABH4/QC8SFfUtRsw/s1600/PA230044.JPG

A lovely photo in itself - but yes, just look at all the flowers!  Cyclamen heaven.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #376 on: July 13, 2014, 07:53:43 PM »
The first Cyclamen hederifolium in flower in the garden today...Autumn is coming!

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #377 on: July 13, 2014, 07:56:01 PM »
The first Cyclamen hederifolium in flower in the garden today...Autumn is coming!
:o Melvyn you horror!  Go and wash your mouth out  :P - we're only just getting summer!

Roma

« Reply #378 on: July 13, 2014, 08:36:31 PM »
Maggi, I've got Acis autumnale flowering.  I haven't noticed any Cyclamen hederifolium - yet.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #379 on: July 13, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »
Maggi, I've got Acis autumnale flowering.  I haven't noticed any Cyclamen hederifolium - yet.
Oh good grief -  what is the place coming too? I'm feeling the year slipping away!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #380 on: July 14, 2014, 01:27:36 AM »
My only starring cyclamen at present are C. coum in various leaf and flower forms but this one is interesting because I am not aware of this colour in C. hederifolium. Of course it started months ago but has retained the reddish shade well into winter. It's a rather sad tuber, rescued from a grassy and almost dead pot when we moved more than a year ago. It didn't come up for months last year and didn't flower but has decided that life is worth while after all.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #381 on: July 14, 2014, 05:28:18 PM »
Hi Lesley
                 Lovely to see a bowles apollo that looks the real deal. Super plant, you must sow any seed from it or better still send some to me just for safe keeping. There are several clones of hederifolium that show this pink colouration but most plants of apollo strain seem to have lost it over the years it is great to see it is still a possibility.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #382 on: July 14, 2014, 05:29:36 PM »
Oh yes , great plant Lesley !!!  :o
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

SJW

« Reply #383 on: July 14, 2014, 07:06:46 PM »

My first flowering potted cyclamen, the Dutch- bred, dark flowered hederifolium. Would probably have been a deeper colour if I'd have kept the pot in more shade. I think this strain is generally early to flower so it probably doesn't feature as much as it could on the autumn show benches. Although I know Pat (Cycnich) has managed to coax a later show of flowers for one of the AGS autumn shows and the Cyclamen Society show. Quite difficult to capture the correct colour with a simple point and shoot camera as can be seen by these different shots of the same plant!

Lesley - not often you see the Bowles Apollo red colouration persisting like that, very nice.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:10:21 PM by SJW »
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #384 on: July 14, 2014, 09:20:59 PM »
I was checking some pots in to which I had sown various seeds, I found that in one of them marked C, Purpurecens Album a tiny seedling, success at long last  :). I have put it in a shady part of my greenhouse and keeping everything crossed that I can keep it growing.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

SJW

« Reply #385 on: July 15, 2014, 12:42:09 AM »
I was checking some pots in to which I had sown various seeds, I found that in one of them marked C, Purpurecens Album a tiny seedling, success at long last  :)

And let's hope the seed donor had isolated the seed parent from any pink-flowered purpurascens!  :)
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Tim Murphy

« Reply #386 on: July 15, 2014, 06:03:46 AM »
Last month I spent a few days in Croatia and Bosnia. I saw C. purpuracens in flower in the hills above Samobor, a small town just west of Zagreb. Most of the plants looked in need of water; the woodland areas here and further south around the Plitvice National Park were very dry, more so than I've ever seen before in early June. This is the first time I've seen C. purpurascens flowering so early in the wild.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #387 on: July 15, 2014, 08:30:16 AM »
Thanks for the comments about my 'Bowles' Apollo.' It's one (or two actually, since I have the same plant in both pink and white-lowered forms) I've had many years and though it usually flowered well, I've had almost no seed but in future I'll keep a better eye out and Pat if there is any next season I'll certainly send it. Perhaps you'd send me your postal address in a PM so that I don't forget. Oddly however, I've never had this red colouring until this year.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #388 on: July 15, 2014, 08:46:43 AM »
Hi Steve I got the seed from Jan over in the Netherlands so hopefully it is a white plant.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #389 on: July 15, 2014, 02:35:23 PM »
Hi lesley
               Thank you for your kind offer. I think the white form of apollo is called Artermis. Hopefully someone will confirm this.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal