We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96172 times)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #390 on: July 15, 2014, 04:36:36 PM »
Hi Pat & Lesley I've just taken a look in the book by Chris grey Wilson, you are right the white
Version is called Artemis.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Bart

« Reply #391 on: July 16, 2014, 09:49:50 AM »
When checking the seed pods on my cyclamen, I came across these ones:
Cyclamen intaminatum, last in flower in January this year:

450541-0

and Cyclamen parviflorum, also re-flowering since January:

450543-1

More in line with the seasons the first C. purparescens have opened, the first is 'Green Ice'.

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #392 on: July 16, 2014, 09:56:15 AM »
So the white flowered form should be 'Bowles' Artemis'? In that case mine as pictured may be that since it hasn't flowered last or this year and I don't know which it is and I'm not sure where the other is at present ( ::) :-[) but I imagine the pink 'Apollo" would be more likely to have the red colour on the leaves. Time will tell me - I hope.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #393 on: July 16, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »
Whichever one it is Lesley you have a cracker of plant just for the leaves alone.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

SJW

« Reply #394 on: July 16, 2014, 11:42:25 PM »
So the white flowered form should be 'Bowles' Artemis'? In that case mine as pictured may be that since it hasn't flowered last or this year and I don't know which it is and I'm not sure where the other is at present ( ::) :-[) but I imagine the pink 'Apollo" would be more likely to have the red colour on the leaves. Time will tell me - I hope.

I see that C. hederifolium Bowles Apollo Group 'Artemis' was a Tilebarn introduction. http://www.cyclamen.org/RegisterPage40.html

I'm not sure how consistently it breeds true though. Particularly a few generations down the line, away from Peter Moore's watchful eye! The seed exchange Artemis I've sown in the past have given very patchy results. Some decent plants but none that really matched the cultivar description.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #395 on: July 22, 2014, 04:03:11 AM »
The two that I've had for many years as 'Bowles' Apollo' (but one, presumably is 'Artemis') have been confirmed by Peter Moore back in 1981 (or was it 93?) as the true plant. He saw photos then and was very definite about it. I simply can't remember where I got them but I think it was from seed rather than as tubers. I have to admit that this year the patterning seems a little less strong but I think that's current nasty weather as it's definitely one of the original 2 plants. They always had very big leaves and the silver and green were very strongly contrasted compared to other, even very good, forms.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #396 on: July 22, 2014, 04:05:43 AM »
Maybe they came from Peter himself. I did bring home quite a few Cyclamen in 1981. Worth noting that they all travelled well and established half a world away, with the single exception of the white C. cilicium.

SJW

« Reply #397 on: July 22, 2014, 03:35:03 PM »
Worth noting that they all travelled well and established half a world away...

Lesley - sounds like my aunt and family who were £10 poms back in the 1960s!

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #398 on: July 23, 2014, 12:07:17 AM »
Oh yes, I remember them, well not your family specifically of course. Many British people came here at the time and most certainly did settle happily though a few didn't like us or our lifestyle and repatriated. I think some English didn't like - and still don't like - the informality of life downunder. We tend to be very casual about some things, even more so nowadays. I remember my mother (Scottish to the core, though a second generation NZer being deeply shocked when I called the minister at my church and my doctor, by their first names. She didn't do such a thing ever though knowing the minister at least, much better than I ever did.  :)

SJW

« Reply #399 on: July 23, 2014, 01:33:26 PM »
Not very scientific, I know, but all the NZers I've ever met have been lovely people. Many years ago I shared a bedsit with one in Earl's Court - now there's a stereotypical location - who taught me some scurrilous rhymes about Australians ;). The exception, of course, is when they pull on the Black jersey at which point they become insufferable (because they're better than everyone else at the game, he says through gritted teeth)! ;D

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #400 on: July 25, 2014, 04:10:28 PM »
My  first Cyclamen of my new season, C. hederifolium. Growing in a north facing raised bed that always has a little moisture. Not as 'fuzzy' as the picture.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #401 on: July 28, 2014, 02:08:38 AM »
Oh darn, I was sure you could send a little seed of C. hed. 'Fuzzy Form.'

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #402 on: July 28, 2014, 08:18:34 AM »
 ;) ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

SJW

« Reply #403 on: July 28, 2014, 03:40:36 PM »
Young purpurascens plants appreciating the cooler/shadier conditions under the bench and beneath the tomatoes. Not sure if the latter is such a good idea as I'll have to keep removing spent tomato flowers from their pots and foliage, and keep an eye out for pests. But greenhouse space is at a premium! :)

goofy

« Reply #404 on: July 29, 2014, 01:54:34 PM »
hello friends,
this is the first purpurascens this summer in my garden

Cyclamen purpurascens

enjoy
« Last Edit: July 30, 2014, 01:23:26 PM by goofy »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal