We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96134 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #450 on: August 22, 2014, 06:15:53 AM »
This came as Cyclamen peloponnesiacum rhodense from the seed exchange. Sown Feb 2012. Is it now Cyclamen rhodium peloponnesiacum?
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #451 on: August 22, 2014, 07:12:27 AM »
That's as I understand it Anthony.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #452 on: August 22, 2014, 12:14:59 PM »
Cyclamen Rhodium ssp peloponnesiacum. The ssp is important as this is now a recognised sub species
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #453 on: August 22, 2014, 02:02:23 PM »
Does the fact that The Cyclamen Society Web Site appears to list it as "repandum ssp pelopponnesiacum" and appears not to list any "rhodium" species that there is some dissention in the ranks (as it were) about naming?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #454 on: August 22, 2014, 02:31:40 PM »
According to The Plant List,

"Cyclamen rhodium subsp. peloponnesiacum (Grey-Wilson) J.Compton & Culham is a synonym of Cyclamen repandum subsp. peloponnesiacum Grey-Wilson This name is a synonym of Cyclamen repandum subsp. peloponnesiacum Grey-Wilson.

The record derives from WCSP (in review) (data supplied on 2012-03-23) which reports it as a synonym with original publication details: J. Cyclamen Soc. 27: 72 2003.

Full publication details for this name can be found in IPNI."
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #455 on: August 22, 2014, 02:58:51 PM »
Does the fact that The Cyclamen Society Web Site appears to list it as "repandum ssp pelopponnesiacum" and appears not to list any "rhodium" species that there is some dissention in the ranks (as it were) about naming?

Unfortunately the Cyclamen society website is badly in need of updating. Rest assured it is on the agenda but may take some time.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #456 on: August 22, 2014, 03:52:24 PM »
Thanks Pat.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #457 on: August 23, 2014, 12:49:29 AM »
The fact that it has a trinomial would make "ssp." redundant.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #458 on: August 23, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
Sorry Anthony I thought you just wanted to write a plant label.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #459 on: August 23, 2014, 07:57:17 AM »

Eh! ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #460 on: August 23, 2014, 08:44:28 AM »

Whilst true in zoological nomenclature (where there are only subspecies, no varieties of forms) in botany, names below the rank of species must include a qualifer to indicate the rank, i.e. subsp., var., f., etc: http://www.iapt-taxon.org/nomen/main.php?page=art24

In the example given, Saxifraga aizoon var. aizoon subvar. brevifolia f. multicaulis subf. surculosa may also be referred using the trinomial Saxifraga aizoon subf. surculosa. Without the connecting term "subf." in the trinomial, it wouldn't be possible to know what rank the name has.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #461 on: August 23, 2014, 11:18:39 AM »
They have "var" and "form loc" in animals (particularly butterflies) too, but Genus species subspecies seems pretty standard.

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #462 on: August 23, 2014, 02:01:13 PM »
They have "var" and "form loc" in animals (particularly butterflies) too, but Genus species subspecies seems pretty standard.

Of course. In most cases it is safe to assume that a trinomial for an animal will be referring to a subspecies, but taxonomic levels below subspecies aren't generally covered by the code for zoological nomenclature.

In plants, where varieties and forms occur with much greater frequency the code for nomenclature does apply. If I receive a plant labelled "Narcissus bulbocodium nivalis" or "Crocus kotschyanus leucopharynx", it's not clear from the trinomial that "nivalis" and "leucopharynx" are varieties rather than subspecies, which is why the code advises the use of a connecting term. This doesn't matter so much to gardeners, but is more important to botanists, especially if your working with these plants in the field.

Of course, sooner or later one of those botanists will take a break from their fieldwork to review their taxonomic status and upgrade/demote them to another rank, so it's probably easier to ignore the connecting terms to save us rewriting labels  ;D
« Last Edit: August 23, 2014, 05:36:11 PM by Matt T »
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #463 on: August 24, 2014, 12:41:45 PM »
A part of my Cyclamen purpurascens has funghi on the leaves. Can somebody say me what this could be and how can one fight against it? Many Thanks
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #464 on: August 24, 2014, 08:45:44 PM »
Here are some more cyclamen that i have in flower, the first is Cyclamen hederifolium var. hederifolium f. albiflorum 'Perlenteppich', grown from cyclamen seed about four years ago and spreading nicely, next is Cyclamen hederifolium var. hederifolium, lovely pink flowers, next is cyclamen hederifolium Red Sky with dark pink flowers, next i have found this cyclamen flowering in my greenhouse with no label to identify it, i think it may be cyclamen intaminatum, if someone can confirm this i would be grateful, it has small light pink flowers with a darker nose. Lastly i noticed Cyclamen coum subsp. caucasicum has already started into new growth in the greenhouse.

image by johnstephen29, on Flickr

Success :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 07:04:08 PM by johnstephen29 »
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal