We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96121 times)

SJW

Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #480 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:26 PM »
Steve, what a fabulous leaf shape on your silver leaf C.purpurascens, haven't seen that before.
I can echo that - how big a pot is that in?

Thanks. The young leaves also have a pink tinge which is another bonus. It's in a 6"/15 cm pot.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #481 on: August 29, 2014, 03:26:34 PM »
Thought I'd share this pic of a Cyclamen rohlfsianum in flower - from Cyclamen Society seed.

Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

SJW

« Reply #482 on: August 29, 2014, 11:32:43 PM »
Thought I'd share this pic of a Cyclamen rohlfsianum in flower - from Cyclamen Society seed.

Mine are nowhere near as advanced (although I don't plunge). It's an exciting time of year though, isn't it, with all the pots stirring into life?

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #483 on: August 30, 2014, 10:32:37 AM »
Most of the rest are tiny. For some reason my oldest tuber threw out two leaves in summer (as it the hot time a month or two back) but most are bearly perceptible pink bumps on the tubers.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #484 on: August 31, 2014, 08:53:22 PM »
Some more cyclamen are starting to flower in my greenhouse, the first are three pots of Africanum, one in flower & two with buds showing, next is Hederifolium Silver Leaf with two flowers, light pink with a dark pink nose, next is again Hederifolium this has just one flower so far, but it is completely white, next is cyclamen Confusum given to me a couple of years ago by Pat, lovely pink flowers, i have some seedlings from this plant just coming through, I'm hoping to put them in the garden next year. Lastly here is the Mirabile I had trouble with earlier, it's really taken off, I can see it is mirabile now with the way the flowers have the points at the end, it took me long enough, Anne & Melvyn i bow down to your superior knowledge  :) I had a sniff at the flowers, coconuts springs to mind.

image by johnstephen29, on Flickr

Untitled by johnstephen29, on Flickr

John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Roma

« Reply #485 on: August 31, 2014, 09:18:05 PM »
I decided to repot my Cyclamen rohlfsianum yesterday.  The two bigger ones are in 9 inch pots.  I did consider putting them in bigger pots but I needed two hands to carry them and managing the stairs without holding the banister is getting a bit tricky so I squeezed them back in the same pots.  The slightly smaller plant got a bigger pot.   The first one is about 6 inches diameter and 5 inches deep.  The second slightly smaller and number three a little smaller still.  They had about one inch clearance all round at the top and reached about halfway down the pot.  It was interesting that they had grown down the way when they were running out of room sideways.         
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #486 on: August 31, 2014, 09:22:16 PM »
I decided to repot my Cyclamen rohlfsianum yesterday.  The two bigger ones are in 9 inch pots.  I did consider putting them in bigger pots but I needed two hands to carry them and managing the stairs without holding the banister is getting a bit tricky so I squeezed them back in the same pots.  The slightly smaller plant got a bigger pot.   The first one is about 6 inches diameter and 5 inches deep.  The second slightly smaller and number three a little smaller still.  They had about one inch clearance all round at the top and reached about halfway down the pot.  It was interesting that they had grown down the way when they were running out of room sideways.       
Quit interesting to see Roma ! Strange that he go downwards .
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

SJW

« Reply #487 on: September 01, 2014, 12:32:21 AM »
Looks like you've got lots of flowers coming through, Roma. How old are those two tubers?

Roma

« Reply #488 on: September 01, 2014, 12:51:52 PM »
Looks like you've got lots of flowers coming through, Roma. How old are those two tubers?
They were sown in 1983 so I suppose that makes them 31 years old.  I think the parents are still alive at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden in Aberdeen.  They were collected in Libya in 1952.
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #489 on: September 01, 2014, 05:37:09 PM »
Super plants Roma. I wish I could flower it that well. Here on the south coast you would think it would be ideal but I fail miserably every year, lots of leaves but very few flowers. Please post some pictures when they are at their best.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

SJW

« Reply #490 on: September 02, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
They were sown in 1983 so I suppose that makes them 31 years old.  I think the parents are still alive at the Cruickshank Botanic Garden in Aberdeen.  They were collected in Libya in 1952.

It's a testament to your green fingers, keeping tubers going for over 30 years takes some doing.

Pat - do you have plants from different sources? As you know, the earlier rohlfsianum introductions weren't that floriferous (or attractively leaved) I seem to recall. If any of the young plants I have growing on look like being good flowerers, I'll put one aside for you!

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #491 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:04 PM »
Thanks for your kind offer gratefully accepted Steve. I checked my only remaining plant today and it doesn't look too bad this year. I have had many plants from many sources over the years and I think it is me and not the plants that are the problem I just don't grow it very well.
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

goofy

« Reply #492 on: September 04, 2014, 08:13:39 AM »
hello friends,
some of my Cyclamens are flowering nicely.

Cyclamen purpurascens, with a nice strong smell

Cyclamen hederifolium, "funny" Stargazer

Cyclamen hederifolium albiflora, 'White Cloud' self sown seedlings bed

enjoy
« Last Edit: September 04, 2014, 12:08:03 PM by goofy »

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #493 on: September 05, 2014, 02:08:30 PM »
In my collection are some Cyclamen purpurascens f. album and I try always to produce seeds/seedlings
Until now the seedlings Comes always up with pure white flowers ..but today I saw a nice surprise  :o
All flowers of this plant has dark veines ...and the edges of the petals have a hint of pink - really interesting
I will look in next year if the flowers on this plants are same - here are two pics :

enjoy
Hans

"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #494 on: September 05, 2014, 09:13:37 PM »
Interesting feature Hans.

Here a part of my hederifolium bed. Not as much flowers as previous year. Time for some extra mulch and feeding ..........
On the other hand some masses of good seedlings ....

Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal