We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 96056 times)

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #570 on: September 21, 2014, 07:07:57 AM »
Impressive Cyclamen , thanks to all for showing.

For some it was stil to hot in my greenhouse. Now the first graecums are starting.(pict. 1)
Some of the hederifoliums in the garden are very productive e.g. this white hederifolium. (pict2) Another hederifolium who was named as hederifolium 'No Name ' . (pict3)

On mirabile just tiny buds , same story with rohlfsianum . The first cypriums are just flowering.   
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #571 on: September 22, 2014, 08:41:53 PM »
I my Graecum plants just starting into growth.

image by johnstephen29, on Flickr

I also have some seedlings just starting into growth, on the left are C. Confusum & on the right are C. coum subsp caucasicum, I am hoping to plant these out in the garden next year & get a colony of each going.

image by johnstephen29, on Flickr
« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:48:21 PM by johnstephen29 »
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

SJW

« Reply #572 on: September 24, 2014, 02:53:54 PM »
Nature and nurture.

In January 2013 I sowed seed of C. graecum ssp candicum from the SGRC seedex. The first flowers appeared this month. From germination to flowering in 20 months is, in my experience, amazing for graecum; 3, 4 or 5 years is more usual, I think. I'd be interested to hear if others have had a similar experience. The explanation is probably due to how they've been treated. The seedlings have been kept indoors on a south-east facing bedroom windowsill and I kept them growing for as long as possible - right through their first summer, only going dormant this year during July and August. I thought I'd treat them this way (as I do rohlfsianum) because being endemic to Crete they'd appreciate the extra warmth. It can't all be nurture though. I treated another pot of candicum (from the Cyclamen Society seedex) in the same way, although sown a month earlier, and they're still a year or so from flowering I'd say. See photos below.

For anyone studying the flowers closely....I'm not fully convinced it's a candicum either! Whatever the subspecies, 20 months to flowering for graecum is a first for me.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #573 on: September 24, 2014, 04:06:58 PM »
By way of comparison, here's the first flowers on C. graecum ssp graecum ex CSE 94046, also from Crete. The parent plant was collected south of the Rodopou peninsula, above Spilia. Seed sown October 2011, ie three-years-old. Treated the same as the candicum in the above post, but moved to the greenhouse last year. One of the plants has, potentially, very good leaves.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #574 on: September 24, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
Nature and nurture.

In January 2013 I sowed seed of C. graecum ssp candicum from the SGRC seedex. The first flowers appeared this month. From germination to flowering in 20 months is, in my experience, amazing for graecum; 3, 4 or 5 years is more usual, I think. I'd be interested to hear if others have had a similar experience.......................

I'm still waiting for my first flowers on graecum sown 2008 and 2009 and it doesn't look likely that I shall see any this year :(

Some Cyclamen that are flowering though:-

C. cilicium sown from seed (AGS 10/11-2312) sown 23/09/11, labelled 'Bowles Variety'. I note from 'Cyclamen' Chris Grey-Wilson 2002 that the Author writes on 'Bowles Variety' "........but the plants are scarcely distinguishable from many ordinary cilicium...."

C. cilicium forma album from seed (SRGC 10/11-1170) sown 18/10/11. Note that the pot, which contains 13 seedlings re-potted in June this year, includes a pink one too.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #575 on: September 24, 2014, 06:26:21 PM »
David, my recollection of the description of Bowles var is that it was white with a pink/ purple nose rather than the lilac with a pink/ purple nose so it looks as if you have the "true plant" (whatever that means!). Looks very pretty - I had some from Archibald seed decades ago and I think they came out pink.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #576 on: September 24, 2014, 06:27:07 PM »
Cyclamen cyprium ex ES from seed kindly sent to me by Tony Willis in 2009 and sown 16/10/09. One or two Forumists have tubers from the same seed.

David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #577 on: September 25, 2014, 10:24:42 AM »
David, my recollection of the description of Bowles var is that it was white with a pink/ purple nose rather than the lilac with a pink/ purple nose so it looks as if you have the "true plant" (whatever that means!). Looks very pretty - I had some from Archibald seed decades ago and I think they came out pink.

Thanks for that Mark. Oddly, bearing in mind his comments, Grey-Wilson doesn't describe Bowles Variety so I had no idea what to expect. I agree with you if mine is anything like the "true plant" it is a very pretty little plant.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #578 on: September 25, 2014, 04:27:45 PM »
Cyclamen cyprium ex ES from seed kindly sent to me by Tony Willis in 2009 and sown 16/10/09. One or two Forumists have tubers from the same seed.

Looking (and smelling?!) good, David. I have a couple of leaves starting to show, but no buds up yet. Many thanks.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #579 on: September 25, 2014, 05:52:48 PM »
Smelling very good Matt. Maybe yours will need another years growth.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #580 on: September 26, 2014, 07:43:50 PM »
Two very different Cyclamen in flower today,

Cyclamen hederifolium from Corfu

and C.intaminatum a form with laciniate petals

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #581 on: September 26, 2014, 07:56:16 PM »
looks like a butterfly
North of France

Graeme

« Reply #582 on: September 26, 2014, 08:22:41 PM »

those are both superb - love the hederifolium colour
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #583 on: September 26, 2014, 08:58:08 PM »

Your collection look really  :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Contains 10% urea

SJW

« Reply #584 on: September 27, 2014, 12:04:20 AM »

Not sure I care for the laciniation, Melvyn, but what well-marked striations the flowers have! And the colour of the flowers on some of the CSE Corfiot heds amazes me every time I see them. :o

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal