We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 95959 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #720 on: November 23, 2014, 02:35:27 PM »
Hello everyone. New here. I recently bought some C. africanum and C. greacum from Ashwood nurseries. Is there any special ways of sowing and caring for them or do I just put them in a pots and wait?

Hello Lewis - sorry, I've got muddled- Steve did reply to you, but I wasn't sure  if you'd had answers from the cyclamen folks so I'm just adding a couple of links you may find useful -  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=192.0  and here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4584.msg123273#msg123273 and the posts from Diane following that, too.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2014, 02:38:23 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lewis Potter

• Go Fourth, Work Hard and Smile.
« Reply #721 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:40 PM »
Hello Lewis - sorry, I've got muddled- Steve did reply to you, but I wasn't sure  if you'd had answers from the cyclamen folks so I'm just adding a couple of links you may find useful -  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=192.0  and here :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=4584.msg123273#msg123273 and the posts from Diane following that, too.

Thanks Maggi, and everyone else.   :)

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #722 on: November 24, 2014, 09:42:00 PM »
Courtesy of ants - normally I hate them, but this array of Cyclamen coum and occasional cilicium is special
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #723 on: November 24, 2014, 10:00:46 PM »
Hi Arthur the ants have given you a good selection of plants with some great leaves, ironic seeing as you hate them ;D
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #724 on: November 26, 2014, 11:34:39 AM »
A nice Cyclamen rohlfsianum, unfortunately a very slow grower.
Second picture shows it with different leaves of other plants and two siblings of the same seed capsule.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #725 on: November 26, 2014, 12:22:34 PM »
Those are lovely forms Hans.
Do you mean that this particular plant or the species generally are slow for you?   
C. rohlfsianum grows slowly for me too but I assumed that this was mainly because my conditions were somehow sub-optimal. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #726 on: November 26, 2014, 01:38:32 PM »
I find that C. rohlfsianum is variable in terms of growth rate (C. cyprium and some others are similar). Grown under apparently the same conditions some are really slow and some (unfortunately a minority) grow reasonably quickly.
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Hans A.

• bulb growing paradise
« Reply #727 on: November 26, 2014, 01:57:54 PM »
Ashley, it is this particular plant and its siblings. Do not know the reason, maybe because they came from a selfed plant, the colouration of the leaves or maybe the conditions are worse than for others. On the other hand the motherplant (not as nice) is growing next to them and grows well. Those plants are about 8 to 9 years old....
All other C. rohlfsianum grow much faster.
Hans - Balearic Islands/Spain
10a  -  140nn

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #728 on: November 26, 2014, 02:34:47 PM »
Thanks both.  I must try again, with seed from another source.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Mark Griffiths

« Reply #729 on: November 26, 2014, 03:07:44 PM »
Ashley, most of my plants are from Cyclamen Society seed and they are very variable in constitution
Oxford, UK
http://inspiringplants.blogspot.com - no longer active.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #730 on: November 27, 2014, 05:21:12 PM »
What happened with this Cyclamen rohlfsianum?

I hope very much there is a better Cyclamen grower than I am who would be able to tell me the reason for the unexpected behaviour shown here. Previously in the greenhouse the plant developed fine new leaves.
After the temperatures dropped I kept the pot in a slightly warmer room inside. First the leaves grew on but now, about a week later they began to wilt.
I must confess that I did not water carefully after the change mentioned so that the leaves were found somewhat flabby at one occasion. But after that and an additonal watering they recovered at first but began to yellow later.
So my question is - es Cyclamen rohlfsianum especially sensitive concerning irregular watering/temperature changes?

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Naoto The Zombie

« Reply #731 on: November 27, 2014, 08:29:12 PM »
@Gerd
Perhaps it couldn't cope with rapid temparature change? I always keep my rohlfs ouside until below 0c at night.  ??? ??? ??? ???
Contains 10% urea

Gerdk

« Reply #732 on: November 28, 2014, 03:10:38 PM »
@Gerd
Perhaps it couldn't cope with rapid temparature change? I always keep my rohlfs ouside until below 0c at night.  ??? ??? ??? ???

Thank you Naoto!
Where do you leave the species when it was freezing outside?  What is the minimum for your plants?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Gerdk

« Reply #733 on: December 04, 2014, 06:01:22 AM »
It seems to me that I stopped the Cyclamen thread with my last question!
Perhaps there will be anyone who can tell me the temperature requirements for
Cyclamen rohlfsianum during winter time.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

SJW

« Reply #734 on: December 04, 2014, 01:10:00 PM »
It seems to me that I stopped the Cyclamen thread with my last question!
Perhaps there will be anyone who can tell me the temperature requirements for
Cyclamen rohlfsianum during winter time.

Gerd

Gerd - my first thought when confronted with yellowing leaves and/or wilting leaves (that don't recover by the evening after a sunny day) is always, damn, I've screwed up on the watering! Underwatering isn't usually a problem, plants soon pick up. More often for me it's overwatering, and rohlfsianum does seem to be particularly sensitive to this, particularly as the temperatures drops when the roots could be sitting for days in cold, wet compost. During winter, rohlfsianum needs to be kept above freezing. I've not had to use the heater in my greenhouse so far this year - it's been so mild - but it got down to just below freezing in there this week and while the rohlfsianum are ok, I wouldn't want to risk it getting much lower than that. I also have some plants in the house and they grow well so they like the warmer conditions, but the light levels are much lower so plants can get etiolated if they're kept growing during the dullest time of the year. If you want to keep plants in character it's probably best to grow them 'hard' but frost-free.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal