We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2014  (Read 95969 times)

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
Re: Cyclamen 2014
« Reply #735 on: December 05, 2014, 09:34:29 AM »
Steve,
Thank you very much for your cultivating advices!
Maybe I overwatered the plant before I kept it inside - I have to confess that I always become
somewhat careless concerning watering when the hotter season is over.
Nevertheless the species developed some (leggy) new leaves inside.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Menai

« Reply #736 on: December 07, 2014, 10:07:07 AM »
Help! My sister-in-law has just given me 5 large dry rootless corms presumably of hederifolium. Bought I suspect from a bin in her local garden centre. She usually uses Hilliers but I would have hoped they would have given up this practice. 2 of them have flower buds but the others nothing. Is there any way I can rescue these or should I just bury them in the garden and pretend the wildlife got them.

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #737 on: December 07, 2014, 10:42:05 AM »
Hi Menai I would pot them up in good size pots and use compost with good drainage. Put them in a greenhouse or a cool frost free place and see what happens. They will either grow or they won't, the two with the buds sounds promising. I agree with you this sort of thing should be stopped, but certain countries are still allowing some species to be dug up and sent abroad.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #738 on: December 07, 2014, 10:43:57 AM »
A hybrid; africanum x confusum dark form still  in bloom
and a carpet of C. rohlfsianum leaves
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

johnstephen29

« Reply #739 on: December 07, 2014, 10:50:52 AM »
Hi Oron I have never heard of a africanum/confusum hybrid before, does it have a name yet? It has lovely flowers. Great leaves on the rohlfsianum, by the way oron the persicum autumnale you sent me have started into growth a few weeks back and looking really good.

Oron Peri

• Middle Eastern Correspondent for the Forum
  • Living in the Galilee Region, min. temp. 5c max 40
    • Seeds of Peace
« Reply #740 on: December 07, 2014, 03:01:13 PM »
Hi Oron I have never heard of a africanum/confusum hybrid before, does it have a name yet? It has lovely flowers. Great leaves on the rohlfsianum, by the way oron the persicum autumnale you sent me have started into growth a few weeks back and looking really good.

Hi John

There isn't a name for this hybrid, probably because C. confusum has been upgraded to a species level only recently or luckily it occurred only for me...?
I get often hybrids between africanum/hederifolium/ confusum as they grow next to each other and flower at the same time.

The latest hybrid is quite incredible it is probably persicum x graecum ssp. anatolicum!
It appeard  in between C. graecum anatolicum seedlings.
I haven't found any literature mentioning this possibility accept a trial done artificially.
Still I'm a bit confused about it as my graecum anatolicum flower in autumn at the same time with C. persicum var autumnale but this plant blooms as the common variety in mid winter.
There are two possibilities either it did hybridize with var persicum that occasionally blooms earlier or it  hybridized with var autumnale but behaves differently.
As you can see in the photo, it is the plant on the left which has identical leaves to the other but will have persicum flowers in about 6 weeks time.

Glad to hear you had good germination with the autumanle.
Tivon, in the lower Galilee, north Israel.
200m.

johnstephen29

« Reply #741 on: December 07, 2014, 04:11:06 PM »
Hi Oron it shows how closely related to each other africanum/hederifolium/confusum are to hybridized so readily, I find my plants in the repandum group do the same. Your persicum/Graceum anatolicum plant has really great leaves Oron, as you say I also get flowers out of season on my persicum plants.  Your other theory about persicum autumnale and Graecum anatolicum is another good possibility, but you would think in that case it would flower at the same time as its parents, really strange.

SJW

« Reply #742 on: December 08, 2014, 12:26:56 PM »
C. rohlfsianum, intaminatum and confusum flowers still hanging on (just...)
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

MargaretB

« Reply #743 on: December 11, 2014, 10:48:24 AM »
I recently bought three 'cyclamen coum silver leaf' from Eurobulbs and wasn't expecting too much as they only cost £5.50 for the three.  Two of the plants look normal, but on the third all the flowers are weird and look as though they have been ironed!  It has been in flower for two months already and is quite attractive.  Is it something to be kept and loved, or is it suffering from a disease and should be destroyed before it infects all my other cyclamen?

SJW

« Reply #744 on: December 11, 2014, 01:26:48 PM »
I recently bought three 'cyclamen coum silver leaf' from Eurobulbs and wasn't expecting too much as they only cost £5.50 for the three.  Two of the plants look normal, but on the third all the flowers are weird and look as though they have been ironed!  It has been in flower for two months already and is quite attractive.  Is it something to be kept and loved, or is it suffering from a disease and should be destroyed before it infects all my other cyclamen?

Margaret - yes, the flowers do look a bit odd but cyclamen can sometimes throw up abnormal flowers, just look at 'Stargazer' (pass the sick bucket)! The leaves look ok and the flowers aren't streaked so it probably (?) isn't virused. Personally, I'd hang on to it to see if 'normal' flowers appear next year although to be on the safe side you could isolate it from your other plants. If it sets seeds it would be interesting to see if the same characteristic is passed on to its offspring. Unusual for C. coum to have already been in flower for 2 months though, mine are still in bud.

johnstephen29

« Reply #745 on: December 11, 2014, 03:01:06 PM »
Leave stargazer alone steve or I'll take that sick bucket and put it over your head while full  ;D

SJW

« Reply #746 on: December 11, 2014, 04:47:09 PM »
Leave stargazer alone steve or I'll take that sick bucket and put it over your head while full  ;D

Yes, 'Stargazer' really is a marmite plant! I like marmite but not keen on 'Stargazer' at all ;D.

johnstephen29

« Reply #747 on: December 11, 2014, 05:17:51 PM »
Other way round for me, like stargazer, hate marmite with a passion.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #748 on: December 11, 2014, 05:29:29 PM »
Margaret, I think your plant looks pretty healthy- in so far as one can tell from a photo-  and I think those "button"  flowers are rather sweet.

(Not that anybody cares : I love Marmite and think Cyclamen 'Stargazer is awful!)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

cycnich

• Mister 1000
« Reply #749 on: December 11, 2014, 06:20:01 PM »
Its marmite for me as well. Stargazer on toast is just wrong.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 06:24:54 PM by cycnich »
Pat Nicholls, Cyclamen and associated bulbs.

Shoreham by sea West Sussex, UK

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal