We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2014  (Read 38225 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Eranthis 2014
« Reply #180 on: April 01, 2014, 06:29:56 PM »
I have bought this Eranthis as E.hyemalis, but now that I have looked at your photos, I'm having doubts. Can you tell what species this is?
Leena from south of Finland

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #181 on: April 02, 2014, 07:44:27 PM »
I have bought this Eranthis as E.hyemalis, but now that I have looked at your photos, I'm having doubts. Can you tell what species this is?

Leena, I would say that's E. cilicica you have there!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

astragalus

« Reply #182 on: April 02, 2014, 11:29:09 PM »
Finally in bloom, Eranthis hyemalis.  Is this correct?
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Leena

« Reply #183 on: April 03, 2014, 07:07:38 AM »
Leena, I would say that's E. cilicica you have there!

Thank you Wim! :)
It seems that here if you buy E.hyemalis, you get E.cilicica, I have bought it twice and I know some friends too, who have it under the wrong name. I don't know why that is.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #184 on: April 03, 2014, 08:14:54 AM »
It's pretty much the same here in England.  In March my local garden centre was selling 'winter aconites' in large and small pots.  The small ones were wrongly labelled  'Eranthis hyemalis' whilst the large ones were correctly labelled 'Eranthis cilicica.  In my part of south England, the flowering time for the two species is about two months different!  Hyemalis flowers from very early in January going on to late February and cilicica flowers from late February onwards (over a much shorter period).
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

« Reply #185 on: April 03, 2014, 09:30:56 AM »
In a normal colder and more snowy winter they both flower about the same time here (or start only days apart, a week at the most), but  a friend of mine has a real E.hyemalis and this year it started to flower earlier (a month maybe) than my E.cilicica.

astragalus

« Reply #186 on: April 03, 2014, 12:21:30 PM »
Nothing blooms here in January.  Even in a winter with no January snow, the ground is frozen solid.  Is the picture I showed hyemalis or cilica?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #187 on: April 03, 2014, 01:20:00 PM »
Cilicica has more deeply-divided leaves and more reddish stems.  Your photo does not show the stems but I thought that the leaves look more like cilcica than hyemalis.  I was hoping Wim would come a long and give you the benefit of his much greater expertise.
Almost in Scotland.

astragalus

« Reply #188 on: April 03, 2014, 02:18:34 PM »
OK, now I'm really confused.  It was bought many years ago as E. hyemalis.  I just checked the stems - some are totally green, others have some red.

astragalus

« Reply #189 on: April 03, 2014, 02:30:21 PM »
Hope this is enough detail.  The eranthis (?) have been multiplying for many years and now cover quite a bit of territory.  There seems to be great variability in stem color.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #190 on: April 03, 2014, 03:28:41 PM »
Oops, maybe I should have kept quiet.  In the picture we have cilicica centre and right and hyemalis left.  You may see that the leaf-frond to gap ratio is higher for hyemalis than cilicica because the deep gaps between leaf fronds tend to be wider and more numerous for cilicica.  You will also see that the stems of cilicica are perfectly green, the red colouration present when the leaves are newly-emerged must disappear with age.

On the basis of your close-ups I'm more inclined to favour hyemalis.  In the UK the statistics for any well-established winter aconites are vastly in favour of them being hyemalis. 

Edit:  Sorry, got interrupted and forgot to attach the picture I wanted to refer to, now corrected
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 08:10:17 PM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #191 on: April 03, 2014, 03:34:02 PM »
It may be that hyemalis and cilicia are just continuations of one species - though there are sufficient differences in timing and hardiness to make it useful for gardeners to keep a distinction.  There is so little about plants that is completely "cut and dried".

I'd come down on the side of hyemalis..... for what that's worth!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

astragalus

« Reply #192 on: April 03, 2014, 10:04:24 PM »
Thanks, Alan and Maggi.  I agree, Maggi - not much is cut and dried.  This population developed from one small planting which has been undisturbed for years.  There are some variations within the population but no color breaks that I've noticed.  It is one of my most enjoyed plantings since there isn't much else to distract the eye at this time.

Leena

« Reply #193 on: April 04, 2014, 06:18:21 AM »
Thanks Alan for the picture about differences.

- though there are sufficient differences in ... hardiness to make it useful for gardeners to keep a distinction.  T

Maggi, do you mean that the other one is less hardy than the other one? Which one?

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #194 on: April 04, 2014, 07:48:06 AM »
Leena, I don't know if the same is true in Finland but in the UK you can find large swathes of Eranthis hyemalis in churchyards, well-established gardens etc.  Once established they seed prolifically and do not seem to attract any attention from slugs or snails.  Maybe over the years of self-seeding we have bred a hardier strain of this plant but it is perfectly hardy here despite its origins in more southerly parts of Europe.

I have never yet seen Eranthis cilicica naturalized so it is either less hardy or much less common or both.  It would be interesting to know where the ones we can buy in garden centres are raised.

The interesting thing to me is whether some of the other rarerly-grown Eranthis species that are generally cosseted and grown under glass might be capable of becoming garden plants.   
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal