We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2014  (Read 38228 times)

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
Re: Eranthis 2014
« Reply #195 on: April 04, 2014, 09:39:50 AM »
Astragalus, it's Eranthis hyemalis you have....

Edit: If you want to be really sure...look at the tubers...E. cilicica: round tubers E. hyemalis: irregularly shaped tubers.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 09:44:02 AM by WimB »
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #196 on: April 04, 2014, 09:41:40 AM »
The interesting thing to me is whether some of the other rarerly-grown Eranthis species that are generally cosseted and grown under glass might be capable of becoming garden plants.

Alan, Eranthis pinnatifida has been growing and flowering outdoors for 5 to 6 years in my garden...the clump doesn't grow quickly but it sets seed every year and they are quite easy to grow them from seed.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #197 on: April 04, 2014, 10:13:48 AM »
That's great news, Wim.  I would really love to grow Eranthis pinnatifida in my garden.  Can you recommend a source of the seeds?
Almost in Scotland.

WimB

• always digs deeper...
« Reply #198 on: April 04, 2014, 10:48:20 AM »
That's great news, Wim.  I would really love to grow Eranthis pinnatifida in my garden.  Can you recommend a source of the seeds?

I've sent you a PM.
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #199 on: April 04, 2014, 11:21:11 AM »
I have never yet seen Eranthis cilicica naturalized so it is either less hardy or much less common or both.  It would be interesting to know where the ones we can buy in garden centres are raised.

Thank you Alan. It is interesting though that why E.cilicica is sold more commonly (as E.hyemalis), I would have thought that it would be opposite. Anyway, my E.cilicica has not increased at all in maybe four years, so that would also indicate that is is not so vigorous as E.hyemalis. I will have to try to buy E.hyemalis again and hope that I get the right species. I have sown it from seeds exchange seeds last winter, so they may be a good start for E.hyemalis in my garden. :)
I hope there will also be E.pinnatifida in the seeds exchange in the future. :)

Edit: If you want to be really sure...look at the tubers...E. cilicica: round tubers E. hyemalis: irregularly shaped tubers.

This was a very good to know, thank you. :)
Leena from south of Finland

astragalus

« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2014, 11:35:00 AM »
Thanks, Wim. It certainly seems to be E. hyemalis.  I'll be moving a couple of small patches soon and will check the tubers then to be absolutely sure.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #201 on: April 04, 2014, 11:45:29 AM »
Leena - for us cilicica is much less hardy than hyemalis.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Leena

« Reply #202 on: April 05, 2014, 08:07:44 AM »
Thanks Maggi. :)

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #203 on: April 07, 2014, 09:15:45 PM »
Here the differences of the seed pods of different Eranthis:

E.hyemalis Schwefelglanz
E.hyemalis semi-plena form
E.cilicica
E.tubergenii fertile form
E.tubergenii Guinea Gold, never seeds

Eranthis cilicica attaches more seeds per blossom, thereby he is easier absolutely in summer-dry areas to increase than hyemalis.
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #204 on: April 08, 2014, 07:17:01 AM »
I live in a very summer-dry area and my garden has some large trees that make it even drier.  But my Eranthis hyemalis has reached the point that seedlings are beginning to pop-up all over the garden at some distance from where the original plants grow and have spread - I don't know how they have managed that.  My Schwefelglanz is seeding prolifically and the few that have flowered so far have come true to the parent.

My first attempt to grow Eranthis cilicica was about a decade ago and quickly failed - I don't know why I lost those plants.  I bought a few last year and a few more this year but no sign of any seedlings yet.     
Almost in Scotland.

astragalus

« Reply #205 on: April 08, 2014, 02:09:49 PM »
That's interesting, Alan.  The same thing has happened here with E. hyemalis.  They are popping up ni some other parts of the garden where I never planted them.  The original planting was 6 in the same area.  Perhaps chipmunks or squirrels have done it?  They don't seem to find everything they store in the garden.
Steep, rocky and cold in the
Hudson River Valley in New York State

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #206 on: April 08, 2014, 04:30:15 PM »
No chipmunks here and I would have thought the seeds are too small (and come too early in the year) to be of interest to squirrels for storage.  Perhaps some get eaten and pass intact through the digestive system of whatever animal it is?
Almost in Scotland.

Mavers

« Reply #207 on: April 10, 2014, 10:36:20 AM »
I've also noticed seedlings in a part of the garden where eranthis have not been planted.

Some will have to be pulled out as they are emerging among my anemonellas.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Leena

« Reply #208 on: November 02, 2014, 06:47:07 AM »

I got two bulbs of E.hyemalis last spring from a friend and the tubers were really irregularly shaped and easy to tell I had the real thing, unfortunately no photo, but now I bought more E.hyemalis (because I want more of them  :)), and when I got to look at these tubers they look more round. Which ones are these? They were dry so I soaked them overnight before taking the picture and planting them. These were bought from a commercial supplier from Netherlands.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #209 on: November 02, 2014, 07:33:45 AM »
Good luck with those, Leena.

Here in the UK you can find large naturalised populations of Eranthis hyemalis which set seed in great quantities.  If you want to increase your stock I would have though the best way is probably to get hold of some seed.  If you remind me next year I will try to collect some for you.  Is late April or May the optimum time, I wonder?   
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal