We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2014  (Read 38227 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Eranthis 2014
« Reply #210 on: November 02, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
If you want to increase your stock I would have though the best way is probably to get hold of some seed.   

You are right, and I would be very happy to get some fresh seeds next spring, I'll remind you :). I haven't seen seeds of E.hyemalis in any commercial seed lists (and they are most likely too dry if there were any), but I got some Eranthis seeds from SRGC seed exchange last winter, and most of the germinated last spring, so I'm going to try to get Eranthis there also this year. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #211 on: November 02, 2014, 09:04:32 AM »
Leena, I have seed of E. hiemalis, just harvested a week or so ago so still quite fresh. I'll send some with (green) pulsatilla seed which should be OK but will send some riper pulsatilla soon. I have your address. :) I find the eranthis seed germinates about when the bulbs are showing though which would be next July here but maybe in your next winter or perhaps this coming one. Not sure.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2014, 09:06:15 AM by Lesley Cox »
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #212 on: November 02, 2014, 09:52:26 AM »
Thanks Lesley, I'd like it very much  :)
When I sowed the seed exchange seeds last winter, I soaked the seeds overnight, then kept them moist and warm for one month and then cold for three months and they (or about half of the seeds) germinated then in June when I took them outside. So I think that fresh seeds sown now will germinate well in the spring if I keep them first in warm for a month or so before the cold period.
Leena from south of Finland

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #213 on: November 05, 2014, 07:35:19 PM »
Hi WimB I know I'm really late saying this but I really liked your article on eranthis, I'm working my way through the eranthis section. I grow E. hyemalis & E. Cilicica in my garden, do you know where I can get any of the others? Thanks John

P.s. Is the crocus group accepting new members yet?
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #214 on: November 05, 2014, 08:02:08 PM »
I was told recently that the black fungus attacking Eranthis cant be controlled with any fungicide that is used to control/stop smut on cereal crops
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #215 on: November 06, 2014, 08:29:16 AM »
Hi WimB I know I'm really late saying this but I really liked your article on eranthis, I'm working my way through the eranthis section. I grow E. hyemalis & E. Cilicica in my garden, do you know where I can get any of the others? Thanks John

P.s. Is the crocus group accepting new members yet?

Hi John,

Peter Nijssen sells some, as do Joe Sharman (Monksilver nursery) and Andreas Händel (Mr. Hepatica).

You can send your membership request for the Crocus Group to Tony Goode (CrocusgroupAThotmail.co.uk (replace the AT by @))

Cheers

Wim
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #216 on: November 06, 2014, 08:31:24 AM »
I was told recently that the black fungus attacking Eranthis cant be controlled with any fungicide that is used to control/stop smut on cereal crops

Mark,

I've never tried it, but I've been told that smut in Eranthis can be controled and eradicated by the persistent use of a systemic fungicide. I've only had it once and I destroyed the plant immediately, so I have no personal experience with the use of any fungicide against Eranthis-smut.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #217 on: November 06, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »
Thanks very much for the info Wim
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Jan

« Reply #218 on: December 02, 2014, 05:45:02 AM »
Eranthis sibirica December 2014

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal