We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2014  (Read 38302 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Eranthis 2014
« Reply #75 on: February 02, 2014, 03:38:20 PM »
Hi Robert,

like almost all Ranunculaceae the seeds are ephemeral, you need to sow them as early as possible. If you get old/dry seeds you should soak them for 24h in lukewarm water and sow them then. You'll get some germination in the following couple of years.

Wim

Thank you so much!

All I need is to have a few seeds germinate. We are extremely isolated here, with no source for buying established plants. I think that I might have some seed arriving from the NARGS seed exchange and can give the method a try.

Thank so much again!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #76 on: February 02, 2014, 04:58:19 PM »
like almost all Ranunculaceae the seeds are ephemeral, you need to sow them as early as possible. If you get old/dry seeds you should soak them for 24h in lukewarm water and sow them then. You'll get some germination in the following couple of years.

Thank you from me, also. I just received exciting (for me) Eranthis seed from SRGC seed exchange, I hope I get some seeds to germinate. :)
Leena from south of Finland

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #77 on: February 03, 2014, 03:49:37 PM »
Eranthis pinnatifida, from Nariwa, Takahashi-shi, Okayama. This is someting different from normal one, sepals are narrower and increased.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

chris

• veen-helleborus
« Reply #78 on: February 03, 2014, 07:55:34 PM »
Eranthis from seed,
Chris Vermeire
http://home.scarlet.be/veen.helleborus/
Zomergem
Belgium

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #79 on: February 04, 2014, 07:50:30 AM »
With the Eranthis hyemalis cultivars, how much attention is paid to distinguishing the parent from its seedlings?  My 'Schwefelglanz' has now produced some seedlings which, to my inexperienced eyes, look the same as the parent.  But coming to Eranthis by way of Galanthus I would not dare to call them 'Schwefelglanz' even when they appear to have 'come true'. 
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #80 on: February 04, 2014, 09:28:29 AM »
Some of them do come true and I think (?) 'Schwefelglanz' is one, however, talking to Joe on Sunday he said that my 'Euan Bunclerk' seedlings would probably only have 5% coming true.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #81 on: February 04, 2014, 01:46:13 PM »
The question of cultivars breeding true and the consequent naming of their progeny is one that causes quite a bit of confusion.   :P

There used to be guidelines which said that if the resultant seedlings  showed a comparison  to the  cutlivar of  =/- 10 per cent , then they could carry the cultivar name - that was clearly a rather problematic rule, since it would only take a few of generations  for the seedlings to be a LONG WAY from the original cultivar and still be  being given that name.  :-X :-\

I'm not sure what the "rule" is now  - perhaps the answer may lie somewhere in the 206 pages of this paper :
INTERNATIONAL CODE OF NOMENCLATURE  FOR CULTIVATED PLANTS  (ICNCP or Cultivated Plant Code)  incorporating the Rules and Recommendations for naming plants in cultivation  -

http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf  - I don't know, I haven't time to study it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #82 on: February 04, 2014, 01:50:51 PM »
............................................... I don't know, I haven't time to study it!

Why ever not?  :P ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2014, 01:57:44 PM »
Why ever not?  :P ;D
I made a New Year's Resolution not to spend more than twelve hours a day on SRGC "Stuff" - am trying hard to stick to it!  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #84 on: February 04, 2014, 10:24:22 PM »
Rules are one thing but I was more interested in what the people who distribute these cultivars do.  If I buy a Schwefelglanz, can I be sure it has been propagated by division of the original corm or could it be a seedling that looked similar? 
Almost in Scotland.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #85 on: February 04, 2014, 11:39:00 PM »
I had never noticed before quite how tall Eranthis hyemalis plants are capable of growing.  ~10 cm + 7.6 cm for the case of the tape measure.
Almost in Scotland.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #86 on: February 05, 2014, 01:23:03 AM »
Rules are one thing but I was more interested in what the people who distribute these cultivars do.  If I buy a Schwefelglanz, can I be sure it has been propagated by division of the original corm or could it be a seedling that looked similar? 

Alan,

I'm not much into rules either. In my world I can do whatever I like. When saving seed for seed exchanges I often designate my seed as F2 ,F3. etc as to how far removed the seed line is removed from the original cultivar. I sometimes put a lot of effort into creating a stable, true breeding strain out of a clonal cultivar. An example is Lupinus albifrons; the best forms are rooted from cuttings. It is easy to inbreed lupines and generally a stable strain can be created without a lot of effort.

I'm somewhat vexed that when I offer, and label as such, a true breeding line, that the seed is not label as such in the seed list. It is very different from open pollinated non-isolated seed.

Home gardener as well as professionals seem to have all sorts of different practices. This is fine. However, it can be very helpful to know if you are getting a clone, a seed strain or something else.

Good luck.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #87 on: February 05, 2014, 07:05:27 AM »
As far as the rules go:

"2.12 An assemblage of individual plants grown from seed derived from uncontrolled pollination may form a cultivar when it meets the criteria laid down in Art. 2.3 and when it can be distinguished consistently by one or more characters even though the individual plants of the assemblage may not necessarily be genetically uniform. " "for example: Ex. 9. When seed is sown of the yellow-fruited cultivar Viburnum opulus ‘Xanthocarpum’, a proportion of the resulting seedlings is indistinguishable from the parent plant; such progeny is to be treated as being part of the same cultivar."

Anyhow, some Eranthis come 100% true from seed (like Schwefelglanz', 'Hafod' and 'Moonlight') and the seedlings are sold as being the same cultivar. Others in other percentages (Like 'Euan Bunclark' (5%) and 'Zitronenfalter' (50%)), and the seedlings that came true of those are sold as the same cultivar too.
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #88 on: February 05, 2014, 09:37:29 AM »
Well, I know my seeds of 'Euan Bunclark' are from a really reliable source, so I shall make sure that if none come true (there were only a few seeds) they are not passed on.  It will be a pity as I know a couple of people who would have been delighted with a little present.  I obviously need to get seed of 'Moonlight' as I have not seen plants for sale.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #89 on: February 05, 2014, 09:46:16 AM »
A general question :

Is Eranthis hyemalis self fertil ?

Thanks
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal