We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Eranthis 2014  (Read 38290 times)

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
Re: Eranthis 2014
« Reply #90 on: February 05, 2014, 12:42:29 PM »
Thank you from me, also. I just received exciting (for me) Eranthis seed from SRGC seed exchange, I hope I get some seeds to germinate. :)

Leena, there is still hope :) Two years ago I had successful germination of Eranthis hyemalis Aurantica from the SRGC seed exchange. I achieved about 50% germination the first year and I didn't soak the seeds. The pots were placed in an unprotected outdoor seed frame where they got lots of rain.

Poul
« Last Edit: February 05, 2014, 12:54:32 PM by pehe »
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: February 05, 2014, 12:52:59 PM »
From Alan B : Rules are one thing but I was more interested in what the people who distribute these cultivars do.   
A question that a great many of us  pose regarding lots of other plants too - snowdrops come to mind - and hellebores -and and and !  ::)

From Robert: I'm somewhat vexed that when I offer, and label as such, a true breeding line, that the seed is not label as such in the seed list. It is very different from open pollinated non-isolated seed.   
I can well understand such frustration, Robert. I think that  perhaps the seed reception managers  can have trouble in determining when such provenance is reliable so  prefer to take a wider "lumping " approach.  :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

pehe

• Autumn flowering bulbs
« Reply #92 on: February 05, 2014, 12:53:40 PM »
Wim, thank you for boosting interest in Eranthis with your excellent IRG article.

Right now I have Eranthis hyemalis and pinnatifida in flower.
Last year I replanted pinnatifida in lattice pots in the garden, to be able to bring them in the green house to get a better pollination. Until now they have been planted directly in the garden. They flower well there but have only set seed one time in about 5 years.

Poul
Poul Erik Eriksen in Hedensted, Denmark - Zone 6

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #93 on: February 05, 2014, 01:18:53 PM »
Right now I have Eranthis hyemalis and pinnatifida in flower.
Last year I replanted pinnatifida in lattice pots in the garden, to be able to bring them in the green house to get a better pollination. Until now they have been planted directly in the garden. They flower well there but have only set seed one time in about 5 years.
Poul

That's a good point , Poul - there is often a good reason to have such plants under cover in certain climates - not merely for survival but, as you say, to get better pollination and seed set.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #94 on: February 05, 2014, 02:32:07 PM »
A question that a great many of us  pose regarding lots of other plants too - snowdrops come to mind - and hellebores -and and and !  ::)

Viz a viz hellebores; many in circulation now are from micropropagation, e.g. 'Anna's Red'. Where they are from seed then they shouldn't have a cultivar name. I like the Ashwood approach who sell their Helleborus x hybridus as Ashwood Garden Hybrids - no single quotation marks, hence not a cultivar name.
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #95 on: February 05, 2014, 03:23:16 PM »
A general question :

Is Eranthis hyemalis self fertil ?

Thanks
Hans

Hans,

My guess is that E. hyemalis is self fertile. They do not appear to be apomixis. If some clones come 100% true from seed, without apomixis, then they must be self fertile and a lot of inbreeding has gone on.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #96 on: February 05, 2014, 03:39:13 PM »
Hans,

My guess is that E. hyemalis is self fertile. They do not appear to be apomixis. If some clones come 100% true from seed, without apomixis, then they must be self fertile and a lot of inbreeding has gone on.

Many thanks Robert ,

I have a similar idea ...
Now I'm testing this theory ...in my greenhouse is a E.hyemalis ( isolated ) and I pollinate it every day ...we will see !

Best wishes
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #97 on: February 05, 2014, 04:00:07 PM »
Don't you think we all get carried away by "name/taxon collecting"? I'm seriously thinking about removing all the name tags from plants in my garden. So a rather nice snowdrop will just be "Snowdrop" and a rather nice Hellebore with pink spotting will be just that and maybe next to another that just happens to be  yellow. Save a fortune on labels and stress as a result of blackbirds chucking labels about.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #98 on: February 05, 2014, 04:03:22 PM »
Anyhow, some Eranthis come 100% true from seed (like Schwefelglanz', 'Hafod' and 'Moonlight')

So what happens if you cross, say, 'Hafod' with 'Moonlight'?  I guess the seed parent could always beat the pollen parent or is it that these Eranthis are much more likely to be self-fertile than to be pollinated by a different variety, which is what makes them likely to come true. 
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #99 on: February 05, 2014, 05:03:24 PM »
Leena, there is still hope :) Two years ago I had successful germination of Eranthis hyemalis Aurantica from the SRGC seed exchange. I achieved about 50% germination the first year and I didn't soak the seeds. The pots were placed in an unprotected outdoor seed frame where they got lots of rain.

Thank you Poul. :)
I soaked the seeds overnight, now the pots are inside in warm and I thought to take the pots outside after about a month. The temperatures in March are still freezing here most of the time, but I can cover the pots with snow and also many seeds like fluctuating temperatures, sometimes below freezing and sometimes warmer. I'm prepared to save the pots for another year. :)
Leena from south of Finland

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #100 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:23 PM »
Hi Wim

i've just discovered your article, it's a wonderful job u've done.

I've learnt new things, dankje  :D
North of France

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #101 on: February 05, 2014, 08:42:07 PM »
Don't you think we all get carried away by "name/taxon collecting"? I'm seriously thinking about removing all the name tags from plants in my garden. So a rather nice snowdrop will just be "Snowdrop" and a rather nice Hellebore with pink spotting will be just that and maybe next to another that just happens to be  yellow. Save a fortune on labels and stress as a result of blackbirds chucking labels about.
You have a point, but personally I am fascinated by taxonomy (yes, I'm weird)! Take as look at this which I got from Tom Mitchell Tweet: http://t.co/CNayt5UVqv
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #102 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:33 PM »
But they would say that wouldn't they, vested interests strike again. No reason why the rest of us should put ourselves on the breadline buying more and more labels.

Wisdom expressed recently by my brother whilst showing him round a garden:- Me: "that's Galanthus Comet; that's Galnthus Merlin etc etc. Our Kid: "they're all bloody Snowdrops aren't they" ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #103 on: February 06, 2014, 02:05:32 AM »
So what happens if you cross, say, 'Hafod' with 'Moonlight'?  I guess the seed parent could always beat the pollen parent or is it that these Eranthis are much more likely to be self-fertile than to be pollinated by a different variety, which is what makes them likely to come true. 

More guess work on my part....

Most Ranunculaceae are out breeders. Many, such as Aquilegia, will also accept their own pollen. With too much inbreeding it is a good idea to keep a look out for inbreeding depression, detrimental and lethal recessives, that sort of stuff.

When working with out breeders and making fertile x fertile crosses (i.e. an uncontrolled cross) I often get a mixture of selfs and out crossings. I see this all the time with Rhododendrons.

What goes on with Eranthis, I don't know, but I will be having fun finding out myself.

I can well understand such frustration, Robert. I think that  perhaps the seed reception managers  can have trouble in determining when such provenance is reliable so  prefer to take a wider "lumping " approach.  :-X

Maggi

I've been on both ends of the seed exchange system; donor and distribution. Maybe I don't like rules in my world but I do have a few:
1.) Be kind - near the top of the list!
2.) Have gratitude.

I'm thankful for all the seed I receive and I'm thankful for all the hard work that does into a seed exchange to make it work.

I've received some interest seed, such as the lepidote rhododendron seed that turn out to be some sort of a elepidote rhododendron. There have been many other unexpected surprises.

I like the saying of the Joy of Painting guy Bob Ross - "There are no mistakes only happy accidents".

With this in mind, I sow my seed, go the bed, and get a good night sleep.

Some say Bob Ross was a painter, maybe he was a Bodhisattva. :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #104 on: February 06, 2014, 08:41:37 AM »
A general question :

Thanks
Hans

Yes, they are self-fertile!
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal