We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Gardening Scotland 2014  (Read 9969 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: Gardening Scotland 2014
« Reply #75 on: June 02, 2014, 01:36:58 PM »
Just watched the Beechgrove programme and I'm not so sure about some of the themed gardens (a little bit too jocular for me) but liked the one made (I think?) by the Hungarian lady which looked very natural, plus some of drystone walling. The alpine displays were great, just what you would expect, with some great plants (would have liked half the programme just on these!), and I enjoyed the short tour round picking out planting combinations, which is what a lot of gardening is about. Eremurus and celmisias? Hmm - funny combination.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #76 on: June 02, 2014, 02:12:06 PM »
Tim, I do not visit GS, but I can give you Ian's opinion of the outside show gardens over many years .......useless!  There have been exceptions, but these are few and far between  and he has largely been unimpressed.  I cannot say I have ever seen one on TV that I coveted.
I think that with the number of families attending with children there is always a tendency to jocularity and "cuteness" in many gardens.  :-X :-\   Such traits tend to be "played up " by the Beechgrove coverage too, which , in my opinion, doesn't help!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #77 on: June 02, 2014, 03:50:50 PM »
...........................................Such traits tend to be "played up " by the Beechgrove coverage too, which , in my opinion, doesn't help!

In view of the fact that I'm a regular moaner about the quality of Gardener's World and also of Chelsea perhaps I qualify for a word or two about the same on Beechgrove.? I thought the quality of much of the presentation by both of the male presenters was abysmal. Had I wanted to watch comedians  I would watch a comedy programme. Carol Baxter was better, but maybe she had more to get her teeth in to. I found the production "bitty" and pedestrian to see the least and why on earth when doing an interview segment don't they always tell the viewers who it is they are interviewing all the time rather than just some of the time?
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #78 on: June 02, 2014, 04:01:10 PM »
Valid points there , David.  Actually  the programme was in some ways better than it usually is.  :-X
Last year the two "boys" - were pitiful. Someone in production seems to think the format works but I speak to a great many gardeners and just "plain TV viewers" who find it  painful to watch.

As to identifying interviewees- goodness knows what their problem is. There is also the variance in giving clear IDs about some commercial stands and not others - again inconsistent  segment to segment and quite odd with some filming re BBC guidelines. It  is beyond odd altogether, really.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #79 on: June 02, 2014, 04:03:44 PM »
I suppose creating show gardens anything like those at Chelsea is completely unrealistic - just insufficient backing (or indeed interest). But at least they could have some sensible relevance to what gardening really is. As soon as the coverage comes on to the SRGC display and some of the other indoor displays it becomes so much more worth listening to, and the presenters are able to express their true knowledge of plants.

It is interesting that we all tend to criticise the concentration on 'Show Gardens' at Chelsea which by comparison are often spectacular and brilliantly made, and the problem here is we can probably not identify with gardening design done at such a 'high' level, not realisable for most gardeners (at the other extreme!) Again it shows the complete lack of ability of television to capture something of the real passion and artistry and knowledge that many gardeners have, which is found in programmes covering other vocations. I imagine this is because people who make (produce) television programmes have never made gardens! (Would have to agree with the last comments, but I suppose they had little choice - again scope for an 'alternative' programme for those with a real knowledge of plants).
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #80 on: June 02, 2014, 05:41:10 PM »
Today at the showground Rob and I loaded up his trailer and our two cars with the stand sections  and materials and that was it for another year.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #81 on: June 02, 2014, 05:44:44 PM »
... and a job very well done by all.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

DaveM

• Doctor Rock
« Reply #82 on: June 02, 2014, 08:01:22 PM »
Agreed, wholeheartedly, David! It was great to see the SRGC exhibit on Saturday. Many of the visitors were full of praise for what the team had achieved. Great stuff! After the Joint Rock meeting I spent much of the day helping out on the stand, so only managed to get around the floral hall - I didn't go outside and by the sound of some of the recent posts, I didn't miss much.

Anyway, just a few images of some plants that tool my eye.

Primula ambita - again -  we had seen this at various stages this spring and here it is at its maximum development I guess. Not particularly exciting, and probably not hardy here, but interesting nevertheless (compare photo in Chelsea 2014 thread).

Of much more interest Primula aurantiaca x pulverulenta from Graeme Butler of Rumbling Bridge.

and Corydalis flexuosa 'Snowflake' from Ian Christie. A chance seedling with a delightful sweet scent. This should make an excellent garden plant.

Both the last two were considered for the 'Best new plant' in the show, but were sadly pipped by the eventual winner.
Dave Millward, East Lothian, Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #83 on: June 03, 2014, 11:11:36 AM »
You'd wonder there was not an individual category for best new garden plant and best new house/glasshouse plant, wouldn't you? Otherwise it's a case of 'comparing apples and oranges'  isn't it?

Stan and Rob :  many thanks and congratulations once more on your tremendous efforts on behalf of the club. Without all your 'before and after' work the delight that was the SRGC stand could not happen. We owe you a great debt of gratitude.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #84 on: June 03, 2014, 12:38:56 PM »
Hear hear Maggi!  Such a huge task to undertake, to say nothing of getting the plants themselves ready and in good shape.  So much expert teamwork there, and the mopping up afterwards is just as impressive, getting the right plants back to the right people, knocking down the stand transporting it and so much more.  Big pat on the back to you all!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Liz Mills

• Immediate Past President
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2014, 06:51:42 PM »
I took all the unclaimed plants home.  So if you have 'lost' one of your plants, please get in touch and I'll check I haven't got it here.  We bought some plants for the display and I intend bringing them to sell at bargain prices at the Summer Event in Dunblane on 23 August. 

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2014, 03:53:11 PM »
WeFixFistulas \ WaterGemsAlba\ Binnyplants -  time lapse video from Gardening Scotland set up:

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal