We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Spring Narcissus 2014  (Read 33697 times)

Gerry Webster

Re: Spring Narcissus 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2014, 09:08:17 PM »
Thanks Rafa.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2014, 09:24:56 PM »
Rafa, thank you for showing pictures of these exquisite narcissi, N. albimarginatus, N. muñozii-garmendiae and N. x susannae.  I wrongly believed that the last two were synonymous, your pictures show very distinct plants.
Cyril
Scotland

Rafa

• Narcissus King and Castilian conservationist
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2014, 10:06:52 PM »
yes, there are two totally diferent things.
N. muñozii-garmendiae is now considered by Flora Iberica as Pseudonarcissus species, I am not agree with this, to me it's a species from Asturiensis group.

Also since they bring back to life N. albicans (also ignored by Flora Iberica) there are two very similar hybrids with N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus: Narcissus x litigiosus (parent albicans) and Narcissus x susannae (parent cantabricus).

YT

• Twitter
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2014, 11:49:48 PM »
They are around 30-33 cm. I think that this species like N. broussonetii needs many hours of full sun. I think it is possible to grow it in Mediterranean countries.

Not only in Mediterranean but my place... sunny winter and at N34°58′ almost same as Morocco ;D
Thank you for sharing your pictures, Rafa.
Tatsuo Y
By the Pacific coast, central part of main island, Japan

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #64 on: March 06, 2014, 06:14:04 AM »
We have a Mediterranean climate too.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #65 on: March 06, 2014, 11:30:45 AM »
some cantabricus pics from today - for comparison

left to right

Narcissus cant. Chorro / Almodovar del Campo / Brazatortas / Rio Jandula

the last one might be called N. albicans now - a surprising form/species which looks very close to the North African
N. romieuxii

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Rafa

« Reply #66 on: March 06, 2014, 11:44:43 AM »
fantastic comparative picture Gerd.

In Jandula river, there are N. cantabricus, but I think N. albicans is still an hybrid. Seeing the amount of N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium, there are very few N. albicans types. I collected once this plant and it was sterile. Maybe this evolution has started recently in this particular place and this is why there are very few. In Toledo or Extremadura, N. albicans have thousands of plants, more than the parents.

Gerd, did you see the groups of N. jonquilla mixed with N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium? they don't make any hybrid  :-\ there are also few N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus in the same group, close to the water and also N. jonquilla is not accting without any other species.

Rafa

« Reply #67 on: March 06, 2014, 11:50:10 AM »
This group of plants, called N. albidus etc.. in my oppinion are african versions of N. albicans.
Also I think in Spain, it could be possible different N. albicans deppending the mother bulbocodium, but the most successfully mother in this cross with N. cantabricus is the one that grows in Toledo, Ciudad Real, and Extremadura.

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #68 on: March 06, 2014, 03:18:11 PM »
Two Narcissus cordubensis one from Grazelema and the other from Zahahra. Interestingly when I was there last the Zahahra site had been totally trashed by wild boar and the narcissus,orchids and iris destroyed.

Narcissus alpestris ms842  from Mike salmon performing well again.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

ArnoldT

« Reply #69 on: March 06, 2014, 03:40:56 PM »
Very nice Tony.
Question on the N. cordubensis.  Do you dry them during dormancy or give some moisture.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #70 on: March 06, 2014, 04:06:13 PM »
They stay in their pot in the sand plunge which dries out but is not baked. I stop watering when they start to die down usually in May and start again in September
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #71 on: March 06, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
Gorgeous Daffs folks. Narcissus asturiensis from me.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Afloden

• why not ask him..... he'll know !
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2014, 07:19:14 PM »
Tony, alpestris is beautiful.

Arnold, I grow cordubensis outside here in eastern Tennessee and let it have whatever the weather throws at it. It is nearly in flower here in the garden and sets seed every year.

Aaron
Missouri, at the northeast edge of the Ozark Plateau

ArnoldT

« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2014, 01:45:14 AM »
Thanks, Tony and Aaron.

Arnold Trachtenberg
Leonia, New Jersey

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2014, 06:38:31 PM »
fantastic comparative picture Gerd.

In Jandula river, there are N. cantabricus, but I think N. albicans is still an hybrid. Seeing the amount of N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium, there are very few N. albicans types. I collected once this plant and it was sterile. Maybe this evolution has started recently in this particular place and this is why there are very few. In Toledo or Extremadura, N. albicans have thousands of plants, more than the parents.

Gerd, did you see the groups of N. jonquilla mixed with N. cantabricus and N. bulbocodium? they don't make any hybrid  :-\ there are also few N. triandrus subsp. pallidulus in the same group, close to the water and also N. jonquilla is not accting without any other species.

Thank you Rafa - the more abundant occurence of N. albicans in Toledo and especially in the Extremadura is very interesting.
I found plants which I took for yellow cantabricus only in the Sierra Morena and also some sterile ones, looking like a small
pale bulbocodium - unfortunately I lost them. I have to test the plant shown here for sterility.

No Narcissus jonquilla found in the region.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal