We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Crocus March 2014  (Read 16614 times)

Janis Ruksans

• Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
Re: Crocus March 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 08, 2014, 11:06:56 AM »
Just returned from Monastery State Athos (Holy Mountain) in Greece where went to check what is mysterious Crocus athous included by Brian Mathew in  synonyms of C. atticus. After 5 hours long ascend by very narrow and steep footpass winding by almost vertical rock we (Professor of Saloniki University, my Czech friend and I) reached pass at altitude 800 m and after that down to 200 m up to Kerasia skiff (small monastery) where we were accepted by Father Theologus. There are no electricity, no mobile, no internet. Light in evenings from candles and oil lamps. As started p-re-Easter time food was was very moderate, but excellent and monks all this (sleeping, food) provide free of charge.
Next day we went up in direction of tip of Mount Athos. And at altitude of 1200 we found searched crocus growing together with other bulbs and crocuses (C. pulchellus, Crocus olivieri - still in flowers, Crocus mazziaricus - between splits of rocks, possibly Crocus chrysanthus, but out of flowers, so could be misidentified). So in short distance at least 4-5 species.
Fortunately we found even 3 flowering specimens of searched Crocus athous. When we returned to warm air of monks cell - flowers opened and it was possible to make good pictures. For 90% I'm certain that it is valid species and must be restored in status (not only by flower but by corm tunics etc., too), but will decide this after comparing with other species from Crocus atticus family.
On pictures - Crocus athous and one of localities where pass along which those crocuses are growing was not very steep (some 100-200 m below Panagea refugee).
Rare Bulb Nursery - Latvia
http://rarebulbs.lv

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #61 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:47 AM »
Very interesting  report, Janis.  Not the easiest plant to find, it seems. 

So in short distance at least 4-5 species.
Quite unusual to have a place with so many species  closeby ?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #62 on: March 08, 2014, 01:40:53 PM »
Very interesting  report, Janis.  Not the easiest plant to find, it seems. 
Quite unusual to have a place with so many species  close by ?

It isn't so that they all grow together but 3 species - yes - olivieri, athous and pulchellus. About chrysanthus I'm not so certain, it could be side by side, but may be I regarded as chrysanthus smaller specimens of pulchellus with narrow leaves. Crocus mazziaricus (or some of cancellatus group) were only on real rocky soil - just in splits between calkstone, but habitats there change after few meters both ways.

To reach Athos as such is not easy. There only four non-clericals allowed per day and for four days only and you must obtain "visa" at least two months before. Our greatest luck was just joining of company by Greek professor. Otherwise we couldn't get visas in time. How we could image that office will be open at 6 o'clock in  morning if on doors is written - working hours from 7-30. The ship for S end of peninsula departs on around 7-00 (not mistake - just "around") , but ticket office opens at 8-00. We must reach very end of peninsula, but today ship will not go so far... So we used longer way from Agia Anna Monastery harbour.
There are stone steps up for some distance, I counted up to 4000, but after that stopped...St. Anna (Agia Anna) Monastery is located around 100-150 m over sea level and there is our first stop. Monks serve us with cup of excellent coffee, glass of cold water and small glass of own maid brandy - all this is free of charge. Going up is very steep. Soon steps ends and farther is narrow foot pass with few large stones positioned at side of gorge in  most dangerous spots. Fortunately weather is nice and dry. A day before it was heavy rain and fine raining was still in early morning. I can't image ascending in rain when pass must be slippery.
Going up is not easy for heart and breathing, but all the time I'm thinking about way down on return. It will be very painful exercise for legs. But seeing first crocus leaves on top I forgot any pain, regardless of disappointment that this is not searched Crocus athous but only olivieri. Next one collected at first moment looked as true for reticulate tunic but long fibrous neck - oh, again not true - it is autumn bloomer from cancelletus group. Some hundred meters further I was finally greated with correct one, with searched one for which I came there - most likely Crocus athous, confirmed next day with flowers shown on previous entry.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:02:24 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Janis Ruksans

« Reply #63 on: March 08, 2014, 01:57:37 PM »
Kerasias skiff (small monastery) is situated only 600 m over sea level and adjacent sea port, but no one know - will be ship come to this point or not. So we go back by same road to largest Agia Anna. We start in dark and when we reach large croice on pass sun just rise up. Monks told that there are 2-2,5 hours needed for way back, for us it takes 3,5 hours. At Agia Anna we again got coffee, water and brandy. The chief of Monastery open for us around thousand years old church and we are greated with possibility to see one of greatest treasures of Athos - remnants (reliquie) of St. Anna - Mother of St. Maria.
From there we can see how today ship goes further by coast to Kerasia haven. Who could know this...
Still left 200 meters down and we are in port 15 minutes before departing of ship to Daphne (border control and customs) and Ouranopolis (proper Greece). In mountains of Macedonia snow changes to rain and back. From +18 C on Athos we return to winter with +2-4 C. All crocuses are under snow and we go back to Thesalloniki for two days in hotel before flying home.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 02:04:17 PM by Janis Ruksans »

Olga Bondareva

« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2014, 02:52:57 PM »
my final pot of Crocus gotoborgensis
Wow!
+1 to all! Colors are incredible. 
Olga Bondareva, Moscow, Zone 3

Anne Repnow

« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2014, 06:33:31 PM »
Thank you, Janis, for your wonderful account about your trip to the orthodox republic of Athos. The males of the Greek part of my family told me similar stories of neck-breaking steep paths and uncertainties about the ferry. Ah well - an adventure that we females will never be able to experience...  :'(
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

Anne Repnow

« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2014, 07:02:11 PM »
Later than 'Zwanenburg': Crocus etruscus 'Rosalind'

FrazerHenderson

• For people, scenery and plants visit Yemen
« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
Crocus korolkowii flowering in a crocus vase

« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 02:49:27 PM by Maggi Young »
Yemen, what a country ... Haraz mountains, Socotra, Sana'a, Hadramaut, the empty quarter.... a country of stunning, mind altering beauty...and the friendliest of people.

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2014, 07:34:47 PM »
Now Crocus malyi is in blossom, the form of Karlobag with narrow pedals and the form of Sveti Roc with broader petals and a little bit more yellow in the throat.

Crocus malyi , Karlobag
     ''        ''     , Sveti Roc  and
     ''     kosaninii           
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2014, 08:20:29 PM »
Some Crocus in flower in my garden today:

Crocus heuffelianus 'Schockwave'
Crocus heuffelianus 'Carpathian Wonder' (Still one of my favourites)
Crocus heuffelianus 'Dark Eyes'
Crocus minimus 'Little Girl'
Crocus tommasinianus 'Pictus'
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2014, 08:26:41 PM »
This is obviously a cultivar but it is quite amazing to me such rich colour.  It does however have the politically incorrect name of 'Negro Boy'
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2014, 11:22:36 PM »
Thomas, I have just opened this thread for the first time and am thrilled to see your lawn and the wonderful things growing so well. All are amazing but the hybrids must be a special thrill for you. I'm pleased that your terrible winter didn't mean total devastation of your crocuses.

I am also delighted with your method of marking and isolating the crocus hybrids, for future lifting or maybe for seed. I had never thought of this way and will be saving the tags from my bread and other items at the supermarket from now on.  ;D

Small parcel in the post to you tomorrow. I've been repotting at the weekend and most are well into root now but should be OK in damp paper towel and clingfilm.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

fixpix

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2014, 12:16:43 PM »
I'm more and more amazed at the... diversity!
Another... commercial :)
C. vernus Pickwick?

Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Anne Repnow

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2014, 05:56:22 PM »
The Corcus heuffelianus are stunners!

Here is Crocus karduchorum (I think...)

Anne Repnow

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2014, 06:10:11 PM »
Well - sorry - that is definitely not C. karduchorum. However, as I lost the label, I'm lost...

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal