We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: March 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 15278 times)

Margaret

Re: March 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #150 on: March 30, 2014, 08:01:03 PM »

Flowering today:
Leucojum 'Gravetye Giant'
Soldanella Spring Surprise
Margaret
Greenwich

fixpix

« Reply #151 on: March 30, 2014, 08:09:42 PM »
A couple cute blooms from around my garden

Lunaria annua
Dicentra spectabilis
Ipheon uniflora
Viburnum burkwoodii
Ajuga reptans
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 08:15:04 PM by fixpix »
Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

Jacek

« Reply #152 on: March 30, 2014, 08:26:03 PM »
Fixpix, my spring is less advanced than in Romania! My Dicentra spectabilis is just showing up from the soil.

Jeffersonia dubia showing its buds - I like it at any stage of development. While it perfectly suites to my garden conditions, I do not have any seedlings. Fortunately, the original clumps enlarge slowly.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Jacek

« Reply #153 on: March 30, 2014, 08:48:08 PM »
Another plant that is just perfect for my woodland garden is Omphalodes verna. Able to survive and flower in dark shade, does not die in case of severe summer drought. Dry shade is not a problem for it. Propagates very fast, but since seedlings are rare and the vegetative growth is by creeping shoots - control is not an issue.

Perfectly hardy, though the creeping shoots need to root before winter. Otherwise they die.

I tried Omphalodes cappadocica as well, but I lost it in the first winter after planting.
Jacek, Poland, USDA zone 6, lowland borderline continental/maritime climate.
Hobby woodland gardening

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #154 on: March 31, 2014, 07:31:44 AM »
Omphalodes verna does well here, too, and also 'Alba' is very nice.
I have tried O.cappadocica ('Starry Eyes') twice, the first on lived three years, and then I divided it and both parts died, so my mistake.
Now I have second try planted last spring, and I don't know yet if it has made it through winter.
Leena from south of Finland

greenspan

« Reply #155 on: March 31, 2014, 03:53:43 PM »
some beauties 8)
Asarum species (presumably china); any idea what species it could be?
Aristolochia steupii (pot growing, too dangerous to make experiments outside in garden; many thanks to sergey 8))
Aristolochia lutea (ex italy; without problems here in garden )
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

johnralphcarpenter

• Plantaholic
« Reply #156 on: March 31, 2014, 07:41:07 PM »
Camellia japonica 'Nunncio's Carousel'
Ralph Carpenter near Ashford, Kent, UK. USDA Zone 8 (9 in a good year)

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #157 on: March 31, 2014, 09:14:04 PM »
some beauties 8)
Aristolochia steupii (pot growing, too dangerous to make experiments outside in garden; many thanks to sergey 8))
Aristolochia lutea (ex italy; without problems here in garden )

Bizarre and wonderful!!!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Anne Repnow

« Reply #158 on: March 31, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
That Asarum - whatever it is - is quite impressing! Very unusual.

1: Lilium martagon
2: Soldanella carpatica
3: Aquilegia 'Woodside variegated'
4: Plagiorhegma dubium
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

fixpix

« Reply #159 on: April 01, 2014, 07:48:25 AM »
Greenspan, I love your weird-ies :)
The pics made me think the blooms are huge, but they are probably tiny...
Right?

Some of my creations :)
http://edenium.sunphoto.ro/

ebbie

« Reply #160 on: April 01, 2014, 09:07:35 AM »
Wow, what a fine Soldanella, Bolinopsis. And the Aristolochias of Greenspan are exceptional and striking!
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 09:40:03 AM by ebbie »
Eberhard P., Landshut, Deutschland, Niederbayern
393m NN, 6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #161 on: April 01, 2014, 11:05:58 AM »
some beauties 8)

Many thanks to Pascal Bruggeman who sent this message  :
".... the Asarum of member Greenspan in the March 2014 thread is nice form of Asarum heterotropoides. Very prone to slug damage, mine were damaged a lot this year IN THE GREENHOUSE….   "

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

greenspan

« Reply #162 on: April 01, 2014, 12:59:46 PM »
@pascal bruggeman

thx maggi for pascals information. 8) but i guess the identification might be wrong. i got this Asarum under the species-name "heterotropoides" + it seems that this plant was introduced under this name in our hobby. flora of china (FOC) describes heterotropides with "reflexed lobes"! here 2 links to photos of Asarum heterotropoides which fits the flower description about the reflexed lobes... first photo taken in Hokkaido University Botanical Garden and second photo from plantarium.ru, where russian botanists make a good work in identification of plants. the leaf shape is also different to my plant. the flowers of my plant never reflex the lobes but spreading these like a star. the flower diameter is about 3 cm. maybe it's the chinese species Asarum heterotropoides f. mandshuricum? but in FOC nothing is mentioned whether or not the chinese form shows reflexed lobes. so i have to assume, that the reflexed lobes also occur in Asarum heterotropoides f. mandshuricum.

to complete the confusion ;D... i got another one labelled as "heterotropoides", same leaves, same time emerging but with smaller flowers + different colour:

both plants are full hardy + no need to overwinter in greenhouse. they tolerated temperatures about -19°C.

@fixpix

huge? no...tiny? no ;D ;) it's matter of opinion...as i wrote, the Asarum species flowers are ~3cm in diameter, Aristolochia steupii flowers are ~2cm hight to 1cm width (open tube), Aristolochia lutea flowers are small ~less than 1 cm width but ~5-6 cm long/hight (tube).
« Last Edit: April 01, 2014, 02:59:32 PM by greenspan »
South Germany/Northern Bavaria/Z6b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #163 on: April 01, 2014, 08:27:20 PM »
Hi Greenspan - I had also asked Pascal to look at the plants you'd posted  here:  http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=2475.msg148228#msg148228

Pascal has sent another note :

He writes :"I have seen the response from Greenspan and  I know some species are often confused.

The problem is that very few are familiar with variation in the wild, particularly of widespread species and therefore focus on a very specific plant according to some “authoritative publication”. Heterotropoides and many species of the same section are widespread and variable, the closest species to heterotropoides is sieboldii, named after Von Siebold who worked in Japan. The key characters in Asarum are often situated in the flower (shape of male flowers, length ratio of style to male flower, number and shape of male flowers). The recurved or non-recurved petals are variable.

The plant on the links he posts to me look more like Asarum sieboldii which is predominantly a Japanese and Korean species.

You can see how close they all are here:
http://www.asarum-jp.com/ssc02/R16.htm

Regarding the Flora of China, there are very few genera that are treated well in there and those that do are usually written by Western taxonomist…. I use the FoC often as a start to narrow it down to a few species and then start to look up the original descriptions and additional info. I never take what is said in the FoC for granted.

I am not saying I am right but I have looked at a lot of publications for the very same reason and I came to the conclusion for myself the recurved petaled plants on an erect flower stalk are sieboldii and the ones with the non-recurved more open flowers are heterotropoides. Maculatum falls in that same group and the extremely recurved ones from that group with the hairy stems are caulescens. Which occurs in yellow through to dark purple. Sieboldii occurs from green to dark purple. They all throw up generally 2 lush leaves but the way the flowers develop is rather different, heterotropoides starts to flower before the leaves are completely unfurled, sieboldii when the leaves are almost completely unfurled. Tony Avent from Plant Delight Nursery asked Barry Yinger , one of the people studying Asarum and Barry came to the same conclusion as me: http://www.plantdelights.com/Asarum-heterotropoides-for-sale/

But is either heterotropoides or sieboldii and my bet is on heterotropoides.

Pascal  "

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tasmanian Taffy

« Reply #164 on: April 02, 2014, 12:43:06 AM »
Hi Greenspan,
just seen your pic's of Aristolochia Steupii I have never seen one before, can it be grown from seed.
Cheers John.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal