We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2014  (Read 18365 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Erythronium 2014
« Reply #120 on: April 25, 2014, 09:24:27 PM »
Lovely erythroniums - guess what Keith Wiley and the BD speak about when they are together.........  ::)    ;D

Loved that John Mitchell showed  R. de T. the Hepatica falconeri that was in the last RBGE display at the Edinburgh show and which has featured in the forum .  8)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 09:26:09 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #121 on: April 25, 2014, 11:29:53 PM »
Lovely erythroniums - guess what Keith Wiley and the BD speak about when they are together.........  ::)    ;D

Loved that John Mitchell showed  R. de T. the Hepatica falconeri that was in the last RBGE display at the Edinburgh show and which has featured in the forum .  8)

Fab programme for a change
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #122 on: April 26, 2014, 02:39:01 PM »
Petunias?
 ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #123 on: April 26, 2014, 02:46:49 PM »
First GW I've watched right through last night.  What a nice change.... Even gushy CK couldn't trump the swathes of erythroniums......
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #124 on: April 26, 2014, 03:14:42 PM »
For those who missed it and cant wait for tomorrows repeat
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b04252sx/Gardeners_World_2014_Episode_8/
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Gene Mirro

« Reply #125 on: April 28, 2014, 07:26:53 AM »
Erythronium elegans:

441191-0
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Mavers

« Reply #126 on: April 28, 2014, 02:47:16 PM »
I agree Chris & Mark it was a decent programme at last.

I visited Keith's new Wildside garden a few years ago to buy erythroniums. I noticed thick clumps of them growing in full sun on the slopes he'd dug into the landscape.

The garden now looks much more mature from seeing CK's piece on Gardeners World.

I don't think the garden is open at all during 2015.
Mike
Somerset, UK

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #127 on: April 28, 2014, 03:10:15 PM »
I don't think the garden is open at all during 2015.

It appears not

http://www.wileyatwildside.com/4.html
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2014, 04:29:33 AM »
For those who missed it and cant wait for tomorrows repeat

It knows where I am.  There is a big bar across the tulip picture which says Not available in your area.

I feel left out.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2014, 02:32:50 PM »
It knows where I am. There is a big bar across the tulip picture which says Not available in your area.

I feel left out.

Fiendishly cunning, the BBC - if only they consistently made programmes with as much attention to detail  :-X

At least we're pleased to have you here, Diane  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2014, 03:47:06 PM »
Western North American Erythronium species tend to struggle here in my Midwestern garden.  Here is a valiant E. multiscapideum hanging on:

441348-0

and here is another one still with us:

441350-1

Once upon a time, there were more of them in these spots.  I think that West Coast plants of all kinds, evolved with cool, dry nights even in summer, don't take well to our warm, humid summer nights in Indiana.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2014, 07:52:46 PM »
Western North American Erythronium species tend to struggle here in my Midwestern garden.  Here is a valiant E. multiscapideum hanging on:

(Attachment Link)

and here is another one still with us:

(Attachment Link)

Once upon a time, there were more of them in these spots.  I think that West Coast plants of all kinds, evolved with cool, dry nights even in summer, don't take well to our warm, humid summer nights in Indiana.

Jim

Jim,

Our California native Erythroniums, such as E. multiscapoideum and tuolumnense, grow where the soil gets bone dry during the summer. In the garden, I have been able to get away with summer irrigation as long as the soil drains extremely well. Having said that, they are happiest when dry in the summer - that is why I'm in the process of moving mine to a new area.

I do not see how heat can be an issue for them as 38c or more during the summer is common. However heat and moisture when dormant = death to the bulb.

When growing our native Erythroniums in pots I use a soil mix of 2 parts 1/4" lava rock, 1 part sharp sand, and 1 part leaf mold. When they go dormant in the late spring they go under the shade under a big oak tree and no water. For me it is important to wait well into the fall and cool weather before watering if the rains do no arrive. They grow very well for me this way until I can get them in the ground.

I hope that maybe this is of so help.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #132 on: April 30, 2014, 01:24:02 AM »
Jim,

I got thinking about your Erythroniums.   ::)

Your winters are very cold compared to our part of California. The California Erythroniums start active root growth in mid-winter and it seems that they will be unhappy if their roots remain frozen, and likely damaged by the extreme cold. Maybe a more likely cause for their poor performance. The ground never freezes deeply here, so the roots are never frozen.

Something to think about.  :)
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #133 on: April 30, 2014, 01:27:43 AM »
Jim,

I got thinking about your Erythroniums.   ::)

Your winters are very cold compared to our part of California. The California Erythroniums start active root growth in mid-winter and it seems that they will be unhappy if their roots remain frozen, and likely damaged by the extreme cold. Maybe a more likely cause for their poor performance. The ground never freezes deeply here, so the roots are never frozen.

Something to think about.  :)

Yes, a very good point.  Plus our summer rains.  I wonder if trying to grow these in the ground around here is a poor strategy?  Would pots work better -- winter and summer in the greenhouse?

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Robert

« Reply #134 on: April 30, 2014, 01:51:38 AM »
Yes, a very good point.  Plus our summer rains.  I wonder if trying to grow these in the ground around here is a poor strategy?  Would pots work better -- winter and summer in the greenhouse?

Jim

It seems like it is worth a try. If you do give this a try, let me know how it all works out.

I have good luck growing Erythroniums in containers. Ian Young's "fish boxes" seem the best but I have also had good luck with 01 Gallon nursery containers, E. toulumnense likes the deeper containers. With smaller containers I've gotten into trouble. Remember to keep the pots out of the sun during the summer - disaster!
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal