We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2014  (Read 18362 times)

Diane Whitehead

• Queen (of) Victoria
Re: Erythronium 2014
« Reply #135 on: April 30, 2014, 02:30:36 AM »
The western erythronium you have a chance of succeeding with is E. revolutum
as it grows on streambanks.
Diane Whitehead        Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
cool mediterranean climate  warm dry summers, mild wet winters  70 cm rain,   sandy soil

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #136 on: April 30, 2014, 02:05:38 PM »
Thanks Diana and Robert.  As soon as the two surviving multiscapideum plants go dormant, I'll put them into pots.  Then I'll go shopping for E. revolutum.  I used to have that species in my woodland garden as well. but it is not there anymore.

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Gene Mirro

« Reply #137 on: April 30, 2014, 02:59:43 PM »
I think the revolutum is going to be a science experiment.  It's native to the Pacific NW coast, which has mild winters with almost no freezing temps.  And very cool, dry summers.  Extremely different from Indiana. 

To get the cool, dry summers, try planting them under a big deciduous tree.  They will get some sun while they are growing in Spring, and then deep shade in Summer.  Also, the tree will keep the soil fairly dry in Summer.  Do not irrigate.  Mulch may be helpful in cooling the soil.

To minimize the effects of Winter cold, mulch heavily.  This will slow the rate of freezing and thawing.  It won't change the temperature that the soil ultimately reaches.  But the rate is important to survival.  This is why you can't leave certain potted plants outdoors in Winter.  You will have to figure out if the mulch needs to be removed in Spring.  If it harbors snails or other pests, or if the emerging plants can't break through it, you will need to remove it.

If you try them in pots, I would recommend several bulbs in a large pot, at least two-gallon or larger.  As Robert said, keep the soil cool while they are growing.  Plunge the pots into the soil or into a sand bed in a cool place, not in a hot greenhouse.  They like a lot of sun and cool temps while they are actively growing.  When they go dormant, I would store them in a cool place, like a basement or crawl space under the house.  Protect from mice. 

I like to grow companion plants in the container with bulbs that are sensitive to excess moisture.  Small plants like violas are ideal.  Small grasses are OK too.  When the bulbs are ready to go dormant, stop watering and let the companion plants use up the moisture in the potting mix.  The companion plants will eventually die due to drought stress, and the bulbs will be left in a dry mix for the Summer.  If you don't do this, you might be amazed at how wet the soil is for a long time after the bulbs go dormant.  I completely agree with Robert that the combination of moisture and high temps is deadly for these bulbs.  This is something that I discovered a long time ago about species lilies.  The bulbs must be kept cool.  The companion plants also shade the soil while they are in active growth.

If you try to grow these plants too fast, you may lose them to bulb rot.  If you grow them too slow, they may never bloom.  In my climate, they take about four years to bloom from seed.  It will probably take longer there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2014, 03:04:24 PM by Gene Mirro »
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #138 on: April 30, 2014, 09:53:09 PM »
Erythronium elegans in flower here.
It seems to like a sunny south-facing spot that dries out a bit in high summer -which in Scotland is usually two days in late July   ;)
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #139 on: May 01, 2014, 02:11:47 AM »
It knows where I am.  There is a big bar across the tulip picture which says Not available in your area.

I feel left out.
Same here in the US. Unfortunately Gardeners World has not expanded its reach to the US. BBC America seems to have a schedule that is a bit heavy with "Dr. Who".
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

drtd

• Certifiable Plant-a-holic
« Reply #140 on: May 01, 2014, 02:35:52 AM »
You can find older episodes on YouTube, but that's about it. I know the feeling, totally left out :/ We don't have a gardening show that even comes close here in the states.
-Danny

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #141 on: May 01, 2014, 08:23:12 AM »
To get the cool, dry summers, try planting them under a big deciduous tree.  They will get some sun while they are growing in Spring, and then deep shade in Summer.  Also, the tree will keep the soil fairly dry in Summer.  Do not irrigate.  Mulch may be helpful in cooling the soil.

Thank you for the advise for growing E.revolutum. I think you gave good advise also for Finland, and mulching will help that the ground won't freeze so deep, and especially the advise about keeping the bulbs dry in the summer. I have had good germination of the seeds, but then have lost them when I have kept them potted, not enough dry, I'm sure now.
Right now my last year's seedlings are planted outside and I think they are doing better than in pots.
Leena from south of Finland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2014, 02:00:38 PM »

Ian reviews Chris Clennett's Erythronium monograph in this week's Bulb Log :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/logdir/2014Jun181403082722BULB_LOG_2514.pdf

Erythronium montanum- which is in cultivation.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #143 on: July 09, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
We've just been sent this link by our friends Jan and Dave Dobak to photos which show more Erythronium montanum than we could ever imagine. Absolutely superb.
The BD is lying down with oxygen to revive him.  There's only so much excitement he can take.  ;)

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #144 on: July 09, 2014, 06:42:45 PM »
 :o Wowzers!!

I like the name 'avalanche lily' :)
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

Mark Barratt

« Reply #145 on: July 23, 2014, 05:04:39 PM »
Hybrids masquerading as Species

I have been  labouring under the illusion that  E revolutum and E hendersonii were both clumping up nicely in my garden.  Then last Saturday, I received a copy of Chris Clennett’s book ‘The Genus Erythronium’ and read to my horror on page 144 that ‘several species of Erythronium will not increase  by vegetative means’ including E hendersonii and E revolutum.

I decided to check with Applegate (1935) and he states under E Hendersonii  ‘rarely multiplying by sessile offsets’.

Admittedly, I had been a little concerned that my ‘hendersonii’ were rather too pale, so now I know why. Of course these were purchased from reputable nurseries, but how can a complete amateur tell if he is purchasing the species or a hybrid.

What to do now?   Where do I get the species? Clearly I need to put greater emphasis on raising from seed.

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
« Reply #146 on: July 23, 2014, 06:41:59 PM »
Mark, it is my experience that much of what masquerades under E. hendersonii in cultivation is of hybrid origin, especially if it increases.

I have raised hundreds of this species from seed and never had a form that increased - I did see a clump in the wild but it was still in bud so I could not ascertain  if it was a pure species - hybrids also happen in the wild.
Due to the fact that they do increase the hybrids make better garden pants.
I do have forms of E revolution, that increase at a steady if not fast pace increasing to a clump of five in around the same number of years.

Seed of wild origin is the best way to get true species garden seed can and does produce hybrids.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 07:07:47 PM by Ian Y »
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Gene Mirro

« Reply #147 on: July 23, 2014, 06:43:21 PM »
I'm pretty sure my E. revolutum is correctly named, and it slowly forms a clump of bulbs in garden conditions.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #148 on: July 23, 2014, 07:12:07 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Mark . 
I can tell that you are a bit disappointed oi find that you may be growing hybrids rather than species - but you know, when it comes to making good garden plants those hybrids are real gems. Spare a thought  for how  disappointed you would be with one flower sitting on its lonesome, year after year!!  ::) ;)

vanozzi

« Reply #149 on: September 08, 2014, 10:07:39 AM »
A few years ago I bred a few erythroniums.Could somebody tell me which is the correct Ery. revolutum, or are both seedlings?
Paul R
Bunbury Western Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal