We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2014  (Read 18378 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Erythronium 2014
« Reply #30 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:51 PM »
Thanks Maggi. I've just this minute come off looking at Erythroniums on Susan's Site and it was obvious mine wasn't californicum, I knew I hadn't bought americanum so it must have been tuolumnense.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #31 on: April 01, 2014, 09:14:41 PM »
My Erythronium caucasicum is just only sprouting, I send here my picture from the last year.

Zdenek, you've got here really E. sibiricum album  ;D
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #32 on: April 01, 2014, 09:21:35 PM »
Here E. caucasicum from the wild 'Russian forest tract' in the N. Caucasus. This race flowers have yellowish tint!!!
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #33 on: April 01, 2014, 09:41:55 PM »
Beautiful plant of E. caucasicum. We don't have erythroniums seeding with the freedom of Gene's picture but this little patch of E. revolutum mixed up with wood anemones is seeding around a lot and should begin to look good in a few years. Love these woodland communities.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Ed Alverson

« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2014, 04:21:46 AM »
I've been cutting bouquets of cut Erythronium flowers in to my local coffee shop to display on the counter. They have been generating a great deal of interest from the customers. Everyone wants to know what they are. This particular batch includes E. hendersonii, E. oregonum leucandrum, and E. revolutum.
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Ed Alverson

« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2014, 04:28:58 AM »
I'm really enjoying see everyone's Erythroniums photos.
Here are a few of mine that are flowering at the moment:
Erythronium tuolumnense EB A clone.
Tell me more about "Erythronium tuolumnense EB A clone". There seem to be a number of distinct clones of this species in cultivation, but some of them are not all that great, perhaps selected for abundant production of offsets rather than good flowers. The good clones need to be pointed out!

Ed

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2014, 09:52:12 AM »
I've been cutting bouquets of cut Erythronium flowers in to my local coffee shop to display on the counter. They have been generating a great deal of interest from the customers. Everyone wants to know what they are. This particular batch includes E. hendersonii, E. oregonum leucandrum, and E. revolutum.

Lucky customers Ed :D
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Jane

• Cornovium Snowdrops
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2014, 01:32:50 PM »
Hi Ed

The Erythronium tuolumnense EB Clone A is shorter in stature and has bigger flowers than Erythronium tuolumnense.  I think the EB may be E.B Anderson but I'm not 100% sure, so if anybody else can add to this I would be interested to know!
Cornovium Snowdrops near Chester, Cheshire.  I love plants, especially Snowdrops, Trillium, Erythroniums and Primula.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2014, 01:52:53 PM »
More info on the EB Anderson and erythroniums from his "stable -

------in a Bulb Log of 2008  http://www.srgc.org.uk/bulblog/log2008/140208/log.html  Ian writes of some other E.B. Anderson hybrids  "Two similar plants, raised by E.B. Anderson and passed on to Kath Dryden with the number EBA 4656 have been named by Kath Dryden. Erythronium 'Jeanette Brickell' and E. 'Margaret Mathew' are both basically creamy white and look superficially like E. 'White Beauty' and share the same ease of cultivation. E. 'Jeanette Brickell' is not pink as it appears in the excellent book 'Bulbs' by Roger Phillips and Martin Rix this is most likely a trick of the printers ink."

-----E.  'Margaret Mathew'  Raised by E.B.Anderson around 1956 and numbered EBA 4656. Named by Kath Dryden  and thought to be a hybrid between E.oregonum and E.tuolumnense

E. 'Jeanette Brickell'  hybrid made in 1956 by E.B. Anderson, but named only in 1978 ..... not likely to have tuolumnense   as a parent given their colouring.

-------in a report on Wisley trials 1994  http://apps.rhs.org.uk/planttrials/TrialReports/Erythronium%201994.pdf

It is perhaps worth noting that W.B. Anderson is mentioned in Elmer Applegate's erythronium papers from 1925 - so there is a chance for confusion there!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Ed Alverson

« Reply #39 on: April 02, 2014, 06:19:16 PM »
Thanks Maggi, that is helpful information. It sounds as if E. tuolumnense "EB A clone" is a form that has not been named but its provenance has been retained as it has been passed around.

The Andersons mentioned in Applegate's monograph are cited as collectors of other species (not E. tuolumnense), mostly in British Columbia, and not in California. Checking the Consortium of California Herbaria web site, the only Anderson who collected Erythronium specimens in California herbaria was a D.E. Anderson, who collected in the 1960's and 1970's. This person, however, did not collect E. tuolumnense. So, your suggestion that "EB A" refers to EB Anderson makes sense to me.

By the way, I wanted to mention that the Erythronium monograph by Elmer Applegate you referred to is now archived on JStor and can be downloaded as a pdf from http://www.jstor.org/stable/41422138. You need to have JStor access to download the pdf, however you can apparently read it online for free. However, if anyone would like to have me send them the pdf I'd be happy to do so, just send me a PM. I can also send pdf's of other journal articles from North American journals that are not easily accessed, at least outside of a university library. Just let me know.

Menai

« Reply #40 on: April 02, 2014, 11:24:10 PM »
E. hendersonii. Much darker than yours David. Not a very satisfactory shot and how did I manage not to see that label?

Erle
Anglesey
Erle - seed sower & re-inventor of wheels
Anglesey, North Wales
Temp max 26°C min -6°C rainfall 120cm

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2014, 09:15:43 AM »
Erle, I think that was Micheal Campbells, mine was tulumnense
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

udo

• Dirk Schnabel
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2014, 07:02:18 PM »
Nice pictures from all.
Here some new flowers in my garden:
Ery.sibiricum
Ery.tolumnense in a dwarf form
Ery.oregonum ssp.leucandrum
and two cultivars:
Ery. Joanna
Ery. Sundisc
Lichtenstein/Sachsen, Germany
www.steingartenverein.de

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2014, 07:09:57 PM »
Can someone name this Erythronium?

I only have one Erythronium in the front garden, E. citrinum var. roderickii, but I haven't seen it for years. This caught my eye today

Trying to establish E. revolutum over many years by seed has failed
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2014, 07:17:37 PM »
Possibly a pale-flowered hendersonii?
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal