We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Erythronium 2014  (Read 18383 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Erythronium 2014
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2014, 06:45:52 PM »

Thrives in the cool damp Scottish climate!  ;)

It certainly does, a wonderful clump Steve.
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #91 on: April 17, 2014, 09:34:38 AM »
Thanks for your notice, Dimitri. I have come to my computer only today, sorry.
It is quite surprise for me. Are there any more differences between those two except the yellowish tint ?
Zdenek, the difference is obvious just at first sight as for me  - please, compare yourself these erythroniums plants - E. sibiricum white form and caucasicum from W Transcaucasus. In two words, E. sibiricum is huge plant with big broad-petaled flowers, it has some white forms with not at all marked leaves with slightly bronze tint. Even now some white population of it in Altai are separated as a species - E. krylovii.
E. caucasicum is much dwarfer plant having elegant white flowers as a rule with narrow petals, rarely pinkish or yellowish. And Maggi is right it has very marked leaves, also to add it has white flowers with contrast reddish (not brownish!!) petal bases and stems.
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #92 on: April 17, 2014, 10:57:05 AM »
Sorry, Dima - yes I  will admit that reddish is a  better description that brown! :-[
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Oakwood

• http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207#/album10207358_132501312
« Reply #93 on: April 17, 2014, 11:49:54 AM »
Sorry, Dima - yes I  will admit that reddish is a  better description that brown! :-[

Maggi  ;D ;D besides, your Ers different Craigton's cultivars vegetate quiet well at me in eastern Ukraine - I'm still waiting for soon bloom!!! many thanks for plants and for warm wishes about our terrible Ukraine...............
Dimitri Zubov, PhD, researcher of M.M. Gryshko's National Botanic Garden, Kiev/Donetsk, zone 5
http://vkontakte.ru/album10207358_107406207

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #94 on: April 17, 2014, 11:10:31 PM »
Erythronium hendersonii
Three different clones.
The palest clone (first two images) has a yellow halo around the blackcurrant centre of the flower which fades as the flower matures. The second clone is darker in flower (images 3 & 4). The darkest clone flowers significantly earlier than the other two and so often shows some frost damage in the flowers (image 5).
Unfortunately all are slow to clump up.

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #95 on: April 18, 2014, 09:21:42 PM »
Following on from Ian's comments on particularly Erythronium revolutum in this weeks Bulb Log I thought I would post a few pictures here of todays visit to Knightshayes Court here in Devon.

Knightshayes is the place, of course,  where E revolutum 'Knightshayes Pink' was first selected and there are huge drifts of them in the wooded areas with some forms of a lighter pink.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #96 on: April 18, 2014, 09:27:51 PM »
It doesn't take a lot of looking to find white revolutums (at least to my untrained eye they are possibly white revolutums)
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #97 on: April 18, 2014, 09:31:25 PM »
A Spring mixture; and to end one of only very few yellow Erythroniums at Knightshayes
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #98 on: April 18, 2014, 10:00:38 PM »
The wide expanses of revolutum are just breathtaking, David.
The white is not a revolutum- its a californicum hyybrid - white pollen and narrow filaments.

Beautiful - but not as glorious as the pinks, eh?

Stephen Vella

« Reply #99 on: April 19, 2014, 03:13:23 AM »
Nice Erythroniums everyone.

David that is amazing to see the mass displays of revolutum.

And Dimitri nice to see thoses wild ones.

Steve Garvie, nice to see thoses close ups of revolutum with dew hanging on them. Makes me wonder with all that damp weather that Erythroniums never suffer from botrytis?? Never seen botrytis here but we are very much dryer.

cheers
Stephen
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #100 on: April 19, 2014, 08:13:13 AM »
Nice Erythroniums everyone.

Steve Garvie, nice to see thoses close ups of revolutum with dew hanging on them. Makes me wonder with all that damp weather that Erythroniums never suffer from botrytis?? Never seen botrytis here but we are very much dryer.

cheers
Stephen

Thanks Stephen, that's raindrops rather than dew. Also get a lot of wind here so I've never seen botrytis on plants in the open garden. I suppose it could be a problem in plants grown under glass protection.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Stephen Vella

« Reply #101 on: April 19, 2014, 10:54:08 AM »
Steve just noticed the hendersonii clones, i didn't know they come in such varied colours, we only have the mauve one here that I've noticed. I know of grower here that uses this for hybridising for those tall branching flower arrangement.
What's the origin of yours if you don't mind me asking? They are very nice.
Cheers
Stephen
Stephen Vella, Blue Mountains, Australia,zone 8.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #102 on: April 19, 2014, 11:33:10 AM »
Hi Stephen,
I procured these plants about 20 years ago and the labels have long been lost so I don't have exact details. One came from the late Kath Dryden (England) whilst another was from Ian Christie (Kirriemuir, Scotland), the third was from seed obtained from Ron Ratko (USA), only a handful germinated and all appeared quite similar (-the almost white plants pictured above with the fading yellow halo around the dark centre; the amount of yellow flare varies between individuals but otherwise they are very similar).
Cheers,
Steve

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Ed Alverson

« Reply #103 on: April 22, 2014, 08:13:52 PM »
Hi Stephen,
I procured these plants about 20 years ago and the labels have long been lost so I don't have exact details. One came from the late Kath Dryden (England) whilst another was from Ian Christie (Kirriemuir, Scotland), the third was from seed obtained from Ron Ratko (USA), only a handful germinated and all appeared quite similar (-the almost white plants pictured above with the fading yellow halo around the dark centre; the amount of yellow flare varies between individuals but otherwise they are very similar).
Cheers,
Steve
Steve, are you saying that the first of your photos (the light flowered E. hendersonii) is from Ron Ratko seed? It looks to me like it could be a hybrid with E. oregonum, with the yellow halo and slightly flattened filaments a result of the genetic influence of E. oregonum. There are a few places where the ranges of these two species meet and natural hybrids are found, so it could be that Ron was collecting from one of these areas...
Ed Alverson, Eugene, Oregon

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #104 on: April 22, 2014, 08:18:58 PM »

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal