We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: New Event: Kendal Show 15th March 2014  (Read 13480 times)

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
Re: New Event: Kendal Show 15th March 2014
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2014, 01:42:51 PM »
more

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2014, 01:44:19 PM »
last batch

Stan da Prato

• Snapper Stan
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2014, 02:24:53 PM »
to finish the caption competition then a look at the messages on the displays as well the school walls - both very apposite - and time to pack up and drive home.

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2014, 04:50:15 PM »
Here's my few contributions from the show, really had a nice day out there.  Thanks everyone for making it work so well!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2014, 04:51:20 PM »
More  Darren's orchid was wonderful, I've tried to photograph it but failed miserably...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:56:26 PM by ChrisB »
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2014, 04:52:22 PM »
More
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ChrisB

« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2014, 04:55:05 PM »
I'm not sure why the genus Tulipa is always ignored by the judging fraternity.  That tulip was such a stunning pot full, and its so hard to get them looking like that too.  So I'm posting it again just for the heck of it!
Cyril's Frit. was super, it was a shame the three pan class here had to be so scrunched up because all three pots were well worth looking at.  I know the tables were full to bursting, but its still such a shame.... Bravo Cyril!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

ruweiss

« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2014, 08:51:58 PM »
Many thanks to all the photographers for their good work at this splendid show.
It is so good to look at all these fine plants!
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2014, 09:19:25 PM »
Really great pictures and so nice to know the show has got off to such a rousing start. I hope Kent next week will also discover a whole new lot of visitors to alpines - quite a bit of emailing and twittering has gone on and a few people down in Faversham yesterday said they might come along; it might be hard pressed to have such a comprehensive range of plants though.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2014, 09:36:07 PM »
A few pics.  George will hopefully have a more comprehensive set later.

Saxifraga Leonardo da Vinci
Primula allionii Eveline Burrow
Iris nusairiensis x aucheri Olof
Fritillaria ariana x bucharica sown 250910
3 pans small
Cyril
Scotland

ChrisB

« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2014, 07:42:54 AM »
Evaline Burrow was probably the best staged allionii I have seen to date.  It beat a lot of larger pots and we'll deserved its 1st!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

veteran vet

« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2014, 07:14:59 PM »
Prompted by Cyril I had better I thought I had better add a few close ups from the show, as has been well documented it was a really fine show both in number and quality of plants on display and by the number of people through the door...they were waiting in line in the outer corridor up as the judging had run through till nearly 12 and from then until well past 3pm it was jammed solid...made photography difficult however. I judged the Large Open section with Margaret Taylor and Jim Almond and we were a remarkably harmonious trio on our thoughts when it came to red stickers and we were also fortunate that in our allotted section no less than 4 plants went up for the Farrer Medal, I was not so lucky as I was 'volunteered' to carry three of them up to the judging table for the final votes, arms were several inches longer by the time I had carried them there and back.
As usual for me I just took pictures of what caught my eye and when there was a space in the crowd to take them so in no particular order
Primula allionii 'Fritz Kummert' from Frank and Barbara Hoyle (13)
Trillium nivale Barry Winter (69), one of quite a few on display, is the time of year, the one I had been going to take had the flowers eaten by slugs on the Thursday night before the show...slugs now been fed to our hens!!!
Fritillaria hermonis, Mala Janes (71) is an old cultivar, not so flashy as some' but still stood out well on the day
Iris 'White Caucasus' from Ivor Betteridge (67), new one for me, there were a few on the bench
Fritillaria aurea Don Peace (23) he keeps on producing this fine plant year after year, always really top notch

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2014, 07:23:45 PM »
I'm always banging on about Iris 'White Caucasus'  being misnamed as 'White' and you picture yet again upholds my view George.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

veteran vet

« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:19 PM »
Had my usual struggle with pic sizes, nearly gave up but might be sorted now so more
As might be expected there were Primula of all shapes and sizes so a run through a few of these
Primula 'Arduaine', Alan Oatway (115)
Primula bhutanica 'Sherrifs Form' from Henry and Margaret Taylor (49)
Primula megaseaefolia Terry Mitchell (9)...I always like this, for me don't find it so easy
Primula x meridian 'Miniera', Peter Hood (11)
Primula davidii Stella and David Rankin (50), definitely a new one for me, liked it

veteran vet

« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2014, 07:34:00 PM »
Frank and Barbara Hoyle had a fine range of plants on the bench, had two go up for the Farrer Medal, the winner being
Cyclamen pseudibericum (4), part of a fine 3 pan which also had
Primula 'Pink Aire', a huge pan
Elsewhere they had
Dionysia aretiodes (2)
Primula allionii 'Eveline Burrow' that also was given a Certificate of Merit (54)
Dionysia 'Eric Watson' (8)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal