We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: BBC TV Programme- Brian Mathew  (Read 5275 times)

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
Re: BBC TV Programme- Brian Mathew
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 09:07:02 PM »
The trouble is Chris how do you go about making a programme without presenters? We would all like to see programmes on the plants we enjoy so much - and I could think of a programme on the Czech Rock Gardens for example, but in the absence of a presenter(s) with a special interest in this, the people and plants, and an ability put this across in a way that actually captures and holds viewers attention, it's unlikely to happen. It's all very well moaning that it doesn't happen, but it is no easy thing to bring together different sorts of programmes without some sort of groundswell of opinion and practical support. All of David's gnats who watched Gardeners World would probably have interesting things to say about the minutae of alpine gardening at times - ie: it's not for them. The trick is convincing them that it is for them as much as it is for all of us.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 10:43:08 PM »
It's true Carol does know her plants John, and it's good they are interviewing experts such as Brian.

But Tim - we all know that Brian is the expert on this subject so yes, by all means let her introduce him but then, let Brian do the talking.  There's precious little time for the piece so maximise the expert and minimise the presenter is what I'm saying...
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 11:38:26 PM »
I agree with you on that Chris, but what I would like to see is something beyond this - say a programme devoted to Crocus with Brian Mathew and Jānis Ruckšāns, maybe Tony Goode and David Stephens too(!) and looking at the plants in both gardens and Nature, and really putting across the huge experience these people have which goes beyond Carol for example saying how beautiful these plants are, which no one would argue with. You are right it would be fascinating to really listen to Brian speaking about the plants, and to have a presenter who has the skill and knowledge to bring out much more of the magic and detail behind them. I'm overly optimistic I know, but who doesn't get excited reading Jānis' entries on this Forum for example and all that lies behind his wonderful nursery. A dialogue between expert and presenter is necessary for this to happen and you do see this in programmes on music and musicians for example and sometimes about artists, but it requires plants and gardening to be regarded with some of the same sophistication, but also showing that it is accessible to everyone.
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

ChrisB

« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2014, 08:29:04 AM »
 That's a dream programme Tim... I remember the time before presenters when documentaries were made 'properly' with editing and if any explanation was needed there was 'voice of God' interpretation but the filming was of the subject - in your case it would be the plants where they grow and the experts talking about them.  That's my sort of programme.  Don't know if you're old enough to remember the golden years of BBC documentary such as Cathie Come Home or Now That The Chips Are Down or a host of others but presenters and personalities hadn't yet been invented so directors had to work to put their story together and sit at editing tables splicing and suchlike.  I still see some traditional documentaries on the PBS channel we now get on Sky and they are a joy to watch because your brain doesn't spend half it's time thinking about the person presenting and can concentrate on the story instead.  Some of the Storyville docs are traditional too nobody famous presenting.  What a joy.... And they are probably cheaper to make as well, these personalities don't do it for nothing....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Lina Hesseling

• Journal Access Group
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2014, 09:03:41 AM »
Ofcourse you all are right and the program could improve a lot by giving the experts more time to say what THEY want to say. But in The Netherlands we only have very commercial garden programs sponsored by gardencenters. They plant very small gardens with lots of plants in full bloom and the soil is so easy to work, they can make the holes for the plants with their hands!
No real gardens to my opinion.
So I am very happy, Gardeners World starts again. And I am a fan of Carol.
Lina Hesseling, Winschoten, The Netherlands.

ChrisB

« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 09:48:10 AM »
Good that you keep us in perspective Lina!  I sometimes forget how lucky we are in the UK.  When I lived in Canada there were no gardening programmes at all - so I had to read books to find out anything.....
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 05:48:45 PM »
Iconic Project and  Perthshire Big Tree Country are to be featured on Countryfile today -  7pm BBC 1
http://www.countryfile.com/countryfile-tv/countryfile-sunday-perthshire

"This week, Countryfile heads north of the border to find out how Perthshire has earned its reputation as big tree country.

Ellie Harrison meets the scientists travelling the globe to bring endangered conifer species back to Scotland and also discovers what impact nature's own lumberjack, the beaver, is having on the countryside."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 08:53:59 PM »
I saw that program Maggi it was the best one they have done in ages.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2014, 08:47:57 PM »
Good news - Vic Aspland is on GW tonight - programme has started now...... 8)

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 01:39:25 AM »
Yes I saw it Maggi well worth the wait. Carol was as good as ever & saw some great cyclamen
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 12:50:11 PM »
You might like to know that the 5 minute slot with Brian (It may have been less) took 5 hours to make  :o
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

ChrisB

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 12:55:02 PM »
Sigh, sounds like a jobs worth to me.... please let us know when Beechgrove is going to be on.  They were there all flippin' day for that piece... hope they got a few good soundbites!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 01:02:10 PM »
Five hours to do that job is quite good going for a TV crew!

Beechgrove Garden programme returns at 7:30pm on Thursday 3rd April on BBC2 Scotland and on Sunday 6th April on BBC2 network.  No word of programme content yet.  I'll contact Carole Baxter to ask if she has any definite news of Dunblane footage. 

Richard Green

• Journal Access Group
  • SRGC Treasurer
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 01:21:52 PM »
Following Tim's comments about thoughtful programmes.  One of the best I ever saw was a short series on BBC called The Quest for the Rose with Phillips and Rix.  It was followed by a book of the same name which is still available on Amazon and ebay.  It was made in the early 1990s, and presumably that sort of thing would cost too much to make now.
Richard Green - Balfron Station, West Central Scotland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:33 PM »
Following Tim's comments about thoughtful programmes.  One of the best I ever saw was a short series on BBC called The Quest for the Rose with Phillips and Rix.  It was followed by a book of the same name which is still available on Amazon and ebay.  It was made in the early 1990s, and presumably that sort of thing would cost too much to make now.
I think I recall the programme, Richard - was it mainly concerned with the early roses from China?

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal