We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus 2014  (Read 6692 times)

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
Re: Calochortus 2014
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 12:48:07 PM »
The amoenus photos are superb.
George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2014, 03:26:32 AM »
A sampling of the thousands of Calochortus nudus / minimus I saw today in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. In this one area, they were all different; gradations in size, flower color, shape, and other characteristics.

I see this with some of our other local, native Calochortus species. Nature is in constant change - it keeps me looking, looking, breathlessly!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 10:54:19 AM »
Diogenes' Lantern (Calochortus amabilis)
Not the best of images as the plant has grown particularly well this season and has rooted out of the pot into the plunge so I couldn't move it for photographs.
This individual opened its first flower in the 2nd week of May and is still currently in flower.

Diogenes was a notorious Greek philospher who frequently challenged the establishment and conventions of the day. He was renowned for his cynicism and critical views of society whilst his followers set themselves up as the watch dogs of morality. Many stories are associated with Diogenes but perhaps the most famous concerns his search for an honest man with the aid of a lit lantern (in broad daylight). Needless to say Diogenes never found his honest man!
Perhaps this Calochortus could be adopted as the floral emblem of bankers.  :o

WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Chris Johnson

« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 05:31:38 PM »
Diogenes' Lantern (Calochortus amabilis)
Not the best of images as the plant has grown particularly well this season and has rooted out of the pot into the plunge so I couldn't move it for photographs.
This individual opened its first flower in the 2nd week of May and is still currently in flower.

Diogenes was a notorious Greek philospher who frequently challenged the establishment and conventions of the day. He was renowned for his cynicism and critical views of society whilst his followers set themselves up as the watch dogs of morality. Many stories are associated with Diogenes but perhaps the most famous concerns his search for an honest man with the aid of a lit lantern (in broad daylight). Needless to say Diogenes never found his honest man!
Perhaps this Calochortus could be adopted as the floral emblem of bankers.  :o

What an attractive plant and photograph. I love the green hue to the yellow.

Chris
South Uist, Outer Hebrides

Steve Garvie

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2014, 09:57:19 PM »
Alkali Mariposa Lily(Calochortus striatus)
Apparently this is a plant of seasonally damp alkaline flats in the Mojave desert.
Surprisingly it is not difficult to grow in a pot under glass where it produces a long entwining flower stalk. It does seem to need a summer cooking however.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

Steve Garvie

« Reply #20 on: August 17, 2014, 12:30:55 AM »
Calochortus obispoensis
This species and clavatus are always the last to flower here.

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

arillady

« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2014, 10:47:26 AM »
wow how unusual
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #22 on: August 17, 2014, 10:53:26 AM »

That is absolutely stunning Steve, that made my wants list. Your photographs are wonderful too. More please. :)
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2014, 09:32:45 AM »
The start of the Calochortus season in our garden:
Calochortus pulchellus from AGS Seedex 2008, first flower yesterday,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2014, 04:40:21 PM »
Fermi,

I will enjoy seeing Calochortus season a second time around.

The first flowers look great and very well grown!
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2014, 11:05:44 AM »
I will enjoy seeing Calochortus season a second time around.

Robert,
here's the next lot!
Calochortus venustus grown from seed - there is variation amongst the seedlings and not all have the reddish stripe;
Calochortus clavatus ssp recurvifolius bought from Marcus Harvey last summer,
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2014, 02:43:34 PM »
Fermi,

Thanks for the good photographs.

I like the C. venustus. I'm going to recheck all of my information, as when I see the yellow ring around the purple I always think C. superbus.
To the south of us one finds the two species and others. They can and do hybridize in the wild all the time. The botany with C. venustus can be confusing  - at least for me. What I find in the field does not always key out and I use multiple keys as they do not always agree either.

Not matter - the plants are beautiful and I enjoy seeing them.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2014, 05:38:49 AM »
Robert,
I thought I'd posted a reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared or maybe I didn't click the right button!
I'd wondered about this clump of Calochortus as at last one looks exactly like what I grow as C. superbus, but most have this central stripe. Let me know if you decide it's here under false pretences!
Here's Calochortus umpquaensis, a bit smaller this year I think - maybe it needs some of Ian's magic powder?
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #28 on: November 17, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
Robert,
I thought I'd posted a reply earlier but it seems to have disappeared or maybe I didn't click the right button!
I'd wondered about this clump of Calochortus as at last one looks exactly like what I grow as C. superbus, but most have this central stripe. Let me know if you decide it's here under false pretences!
cheers
fermi

Fermi,

Our farm is located in El Dorado County, California the northern limit of C. venustus. C. superbus is very common in our area, even growing naturally on the farm as well as throughout the countryside. Personally, I have never seen C. venustus in El Dorado County. There are some that claim C. venustus even grows in Placer County, the next county to the north. I definitely have my doubts about this. A number of other Calochortus species also grow in the area. C. luteus is no longer common, however it can hybridize freely with C. venustus and C. superbus. Adding to this, not all the botanical keys agree and some were created from herbarium specimens without any, or little, field work being done by the author.

Having said all of this, I use the following to distinguish C. venustus from C. superbus:

Mariposa brand peach packing crates have a beautiful and accurate print of a C. venustus on them. It clearly shows the recurved tips of the sepals, something I use to distinguish this species.

The yellow surrounding the dark spots on the petals generally distinguishes C. superbus. Also, the inverted "V" at the base of the petals is helpful but is sometimes hard to see clearly.

Beyond that I get confused and start thinking the plant might be a hybrid. They are somewhat common throughout the range of both species. Seed of garden origin will easily hybridize with other species if measures are not taken to control pollinization.

I've been long winded and maybe not of much help.

I do enjoy your photographs. No matter what species, are they are very beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing them.

Also, maybe someone that is an expert in this field will come forward with the definitive answer on how to ID the two species.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2014, 02:29:46 AM »
I posted a pic of this Calochortus in the Southern Hemisphere Thread and Marcus has confirmed that it's Calochortus plummerae
cheers
fermi
Victoria, Australia

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal