We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Calochortus 2014  (Read 6692 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Calochortus 2014
« Reply #30 on: December 17, 2014, 01:09:52 AM »
Fermi,

Thanks for posting the photographs of this beautiful Southern California Calochortus species. They look great.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2014, 12:44:23 AM »
Thanks for posting the photographs of this beautiful Southern California Calochortus species. They look great.
I'm happy to post pics of any of "your" bulbs that I can grow, Robert ;D
Here's another that has lost its label because of the echidna!
It's possibly Calochortus clavatus, not fully open this morning,
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2014, 02:31:05 PM »
Fermi,

They sure look like C. clavatus to me.

I definitely will not tire of photographs of "our" Calochortus, especially out of season. Right now, for us, the C. clavatus are nothing more than little green shoots poking out of the ground, a tiny amount. Same for most of the other low elevation species.

Some of the species from high elevations and/or winter snow cover have been a little tricky for me to grow - but not all of them. C. nudus has been an easy and a reliable bloomer. They wait until spring to poke their heads above ground.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Mike Ireland

• Erinacea anthyllis
    • Mike Ireland's Alpine Garden
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2014, 09:25:50 AM »
Robert have you seen the photos of Calochortus on Phil & Gwen Phillips Wild Plant Gallery?
Nearly all taken in the USA.  Gwen did grow quite a lot at one time.  Really wonderful selection of plants & photos.
Link to their site :- http://www.wildplantgallery.co.uk/Index2.htm
Mike
Humberston
N E Lincolnshire

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2014, 12:15:09 PM »
Robert have you seen the photos of Calochortus on Phil & Gwen Phillips Wild Plant Gallery?
Nearly all taken in the USA.  Gwen did grow quite a lot at one time.  Really wonderful selection of plants & photos.

And, thanks to Mike's help, all these photos now form part of the Phillips Archive, including all the trip logs of Phil and Gwen, which are now presented to the SRGC for preservation.  All to come when time allows!

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Robert

« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2014, 03:35:34 PM »

Mike,

Thank you for the link. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I was not aware of their photo gallery. I have to admit that I do not spend much time on the internet; just this one, the weather, and a few others. Too busy I guess. However, I will give their site a look. The Calflora web site has photographs of a majority of our California flora, plus a link to Jepson's (Plant key). Kind of one stop shopping, at least for me.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2014, 10:20:17 AM »

They sure look like C. clavatus to me.

Hi Robert,
I got a better pic later in the day and found a piece of broken label nearby which might confirm its identity - if it is then it has a good pedigree if it comes from the La Fong "stables" ;D
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Robert

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2014, 05:34:27 PM »
Fermi,

Calochortus clavatus var. avius grows right up the road from the farm here. Much of the habitat was burned over by the King Fire this past summer. Fire generally does not hurt the bulbs, on the contrary, in a few years they should be blooming better than ever - more light and the nutrients released by the fire help with this. There are a number of interesting plants in this burned over area, such as Lewisia serrata, that I want to check on latter in the coming season. Its habitat was in the bullseye of the most destructive part of the fire. I hope to get some good photographs of Calochortus clavatus var. avius at that time.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal