We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Pests  (Read 24842 times)

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
Re: Bulb Pests
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2008, 01:17:54 PM »
Martin, I followed this discussion now for some days.
Here I’ll try to reflect my thoughts.

You are taking the leaves away after flowering and then cover the bulbs with extra soil, that's o.k.. But the vegetation produces the bulb’s energy reserve that is needed for next year’s growth. So next year there might be less flowers.

Plant if possible your bulbs in exposed windy places, the flies don’t like this.

When you take out your bulbs you could consider soaking bulbs in hot water (43-44oC) for an hour or so. That’s usual for all Narcissus here in Holland just before planting. I don’t know about Galanthus !Care must be taken to not exceed this temperature, because you will damage the bulb. This is the best way to kill other pests of bulbs, too.

I don’t think I told you much news and there is always the possibility to sit in the garden on a nice sunny day in May admiring the place and then grab your insect net and  catch those flies before they start laying their eggs.

Oh, and kill the narcissus flies. Swat them! Kill them! Kill them all...kill...killll...them! (curls up in ball, struggling against straight-jacket, and writes 'kill the narcissus flies' on wall of padded cell with foot, like Clousseau's demented boss in the Pink Panther films).

regards

Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2008, 01:46:36 PM »
Luit, I didn't mean  that I remove the snowdrop leaves after flowering but before they die: I mean that I remove them as soon as they turn yellow and start to die away, after they have done their work. I do this instead of leaving them shrivelling and rotting on the soil to attract narcissus flies.

Heat treatment is not as safe for the smaller bulbs of galanthus as for big narcissus bulbs, and snowdrop growers don't lift all their bulbs every year.

My favourite weapon, as I've mentioned here before, is my old tennis racket. You can hear the narcissus fly coming as they make a distinctive whining sound as they fly, and my tennis forehand greatly benefits from the practice.  ;D
« Last Edit: February 04, 2008, 03:33:39 PM by Maggi Young »
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2008, 01:52:35 PM »
Oh, and kill the narcissus flies. Swat them! Kill them! Kill them all...kill...killll...them! (curls up in ball, struggling against straight-jacket, and writes 'kill the narcissus flies' on wall of padded cell with foot, like Clousseau's demented boss in the Pink Panther films).

Right Martin, sounds like a good idea for a caricature? Choose your victim! ;D
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #33 on: February 02, 2008, 02:44:42 PM »
My favourite weapon, as I've mentioned here before, is my old tennis racket. You can hear the narcissus fly coming as they make a distinctive whining sound as they fly, and my tennis forehand greatly benefits from the practice. 

Well Martin, my skills in sport are more on the tribune-site.
Need my energy for the real gardening work, i.e sitting there and admire the flowers.  :D  ;)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2008, 04:43:44 PM »

.......Plant if possible your bulbs in exposed windy places, the flies don’t like this................

Luit, I think you could well be right, I have not (so far!) ever been troubled by them.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2008, 06:30:19 PM »

I don’t think I told you much news and there is always the possibility to sit in the garden on a nice sunny day in May admiring the place and then grab your insect net and  catch those flies before they start laying their eggs.

Well, why not creating a new kind of sports: Killing narcissus flies with different tools, i.e.
tennis rackets, insect nets, shotguns or sprayer? Take care and don't foul other players.
2 teams: Galanthophiles versus Daff enthusiasts.

But seriously: there are two active substances which may help against the larvae. These are Omethoate and Chlorpyrifos. Maybe they are no longer allowed, I don't know the present registrations.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #36 on: February 02, 2008, 07:14:17 PM »
Well, why not creating a new kind of sports: Killing narcissus flies with different tools, i.e.
tennis rackets, insect nets, shotguns or sprayer? Take care and don't foul other players.
2 teams: Galanthophiles versus Daff enthusiasts.
Well, I'm neutral. So will volunteer as referee. (saving my energy!)  8)

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #37 on: February 02, 2008, 09:40:06 PM »
Gerd,

Don't you think the shotgun could perhaps be a little in the way of overkill?

Luit,

Given that shotguns are in play then you are VERY game to be offering to referee.  You'll be right in the firing line (quite literally in this case) and they'll be watching the flies, not who is in the background.  :o
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #38 on: February 02, 2008, 09:52:30 PM »
Gerd, shotguns seem a little risky but I think both the substances you name are now not permitted in the UK so we may have little choice but to take up arms.

Luit, I would be very much against your taking a position of danger but perhaps the referee sits in a tall tower at some distance, with tea and cake, so, that may be fine ???
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #39 on: February 02, 2008, 10:27:58 PM »
In my garden they are active before the leaves start to yellow
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #40 on: February 02, 2008, 10:35:19 PM »
Oops, at the moment I was posting this message, somebody was 1 second faster than I, so trying again.

Given that shotguns are in play then you are VERY game to be offering to referee.  You'll be right in the firing line (quite literally in this case) and they'll be watching the flies, not who is in the background.   

Paul, I dont' think there's much reason to be afraid.
Given the fact there are still so many narcissus-flies left, I think these players are real miserable
shooters.... 8)   8)

Luit, I would be very much against your taking a position of danger but perhaps the referee sits in a tall tower at some distance, with tea and cake, so, that may be fine 

That's what I was thinking about.
Maggi, I'm grateful you are so concerned about my health, posting at the same moment!  :-*

Luit
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 08:35:50 AM by Lvandelft »

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #41 on: February 03, 2008, 12:08:13 AM »
Luit,

The fact that the players are miserable shooters is what I was CONCERNED about!!  They aim at the flies and hit you instead, even though you're 150m to the side and up an angle of 25 degrees.  ::)

Maggi, I reckon the referee would need the tall tower, coffee and cake, and a bullet proof box surrounding him!!  Only way to be safe with people around with shot guns and the white fever!!  ;D
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #42 on: February 03, 2008, 01:54:06 AM »
In my garden they are active before the leaves start to yellow

And no doubt active after the leaves are yellow too. At least removing the leaves when they start to die back reduces the chances of infestation a little and is a good precaution. Not much you can do when the leaves are still green, except spray regularly with insecticide - and kill them with tennis rackets...as I've said before, the best time to get them is when they're mating; they make an extra-loud whining sound then, and you get two with one squish...also they settle on the ground or on leaves to mate, so are easier to swat.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #43 on: February 03, 2008, 06:40:14 AM »
Gerd, shotguns seem a little risky but I think both the substances you name are now not permitted in the UK so we may have little choice but to take up arms.

Maggi, I agree concerning the use of shotguns. But keep in mind - the whole garden would be ' clean ' - there are no cats, dogs, squirrels, blackbirds or unpopular neighbors left.

But now - back to seriousness.
There is a granule here in Germany which is used against the larvae of different flies on the roots of carrots, onions and cabbage. This agent has a certain long-term effect, which means the plants are protected for a long time (I don't know the period).
Unfortunately here in Germany the registration of this granule (Nexion Neu/ Chlorpyrifos) is only for the vegetables mentioned above. This means application on daffodils is not permitted, maybe this is differnt in other countries.

Gerd

Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #44 on: February 03, 2008, 09:27:12 PM »
Hi et all,
I'm pleased to notice the Narcissus fly and its different combat methods caused rich feedback.
Coming back to my thesis. If spring wheather is warm and dry, many flies will hatch a bit earlier and at once. Infestation increases...

Martin questioned earlier whether i.e. temperature has an influence on the development time on narcissus fly maggots.
I say "yes". Because another hobby of mine is fishing. I catch trouts usually with ordinary fly maggots. You can stop and delay by some weeks the maggot development by storing your maggot box in the refrigurator at cool 5-7°C. But if you leave your box unattended in a warm place i.e. forgot the box in your car parking in sunshine you quickly (within 1day) get chrysalis when the temp. is right. Latest after 4 days you will have handreds of new flys in your box. If you then open the box to check if there are still maggots ::)...Halleluja! :o ;D   
« Last Edit: February 03, 2008, 09:30:17 PM by aruby »
Best wishes
Armin

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal