We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Bulb Pests  (Read 24608 times)

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
Re: Bulb Pests
« Reply #75 on: February 05, 2008, 12:36:29 PM »
Dontcha just love it when the US government declares a pesticide dangerous, with very serious health implications (especially of children and pregnant women) and severely restricts its use while our government declares it perfectly safe for us all to continue consuming our 'acceptable daily dose' throughout our lives. For a start, an 'acceptable daily dose' of a poison may not do serious harm on its own in laboratory conditions with rats (that the scientists can see) but when consumed by us with a whole cocktail of other 'acceptable daily doses' of other noxious poisons, the long-term result can be quite different!

And when the powers-that-be do decide to limit use of a dangerous pesticide (whether fungicide or insecticide) the first thing they do is stop amateur gardeners using it in tiny quantities ('cos we can't be trusted not to swig it while potting up our bulbs) while still allowing the agricultural 'industry', golf courses, etc to continue pouring thousands of tons or millions of gallons of the stuff onto our foods and into our water courses and aquifers.

Makes you head straight for the organic food section, especially if you've kids to feed.

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #76 on: February 05, 2008, 01:17:13 PM »
Try Dursban
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #77 on: February 05, 2008, 01:40:01 PM »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #78 on: February 05, 2008, 01:54:06 PM »

Nexion I use for my sowing pots as protection against "Trauermückenlarven" -sorry -but I dont know the word in english -this helps really .
Hans here is the name:
These belong to the Sciaridae, the grubs or larvae cause the most damage to our plants.
They like high humidity.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #79 on: February 05, 2008, 02:05:40 PM »
David : I use Confidor - but we have always be careful with this insecticides ( and fungicides )
the real advantage of Confidor is that you can watering -thats better as to spray it

Luit : Thank you - this is what I mean .....
here is it :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sciaridae
« Last Edit: February 05, 2008, 02:24:09 PM by Hans Joschko »
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #80 on: February 05, 2008, 02:29:39 PM »
David : I use Confidor - but we have always be careful with this insecticides ( and fungicides )
the real advantage of Confidor is that you can watering -thats better as to spray it

Hans, i have not heard of Confidor but a quick Google suggests that although it is available in some parts of Europe, Australia and South Africa I could find no mention of it in UK sites
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #81 on: February 05, 2008, 06:18:15 PM »
I think that during the first week of June every member across Europe, who grows Narcissus and Galanthus, should spend at least an hour on a warm/hot day looking for the fly. If I have them present before the leaves die back I'm sure others will too. Maybe the fursther south you are you could look for them in late May

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #82 on: February 05, 2008, 06:54:30 PM »
June; a warm/hot day; an hour! Which planet do you live on, Mark ::)
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #83 on: February 05, 2008, 07:05:14 PM »
OK if it's warm enough for shorts ... If I could get a tan last summer it must have been OK on certain days but then I have an unfair advantage with my genes - boot cut Levi's just now

David Shaw

• SRGC Publications Manager
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2008, 05:21:07 PM »
Mark, whilst I am quite sure that we don't have narcissus fly a conceretd look in June is not a bad idea.
Why don't you prepare us a worksheet with pictures of the fly, what and were to look and how to tackle any fly that might be found?
David Shaw, Forres, Moray, Scotland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2008, 06:37:00 PM »
Just sat in the greenhouse with a torch and caught a big fat cutworm that was eating my cyclamen. Thats the second this week so do not know how many left. Hate to think what the neighbours make of it.
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2008, 06:45:23 PM »
Just sat in the greenhouse with a torch and caught a big fat cutworm that was eating my cyclamen. Thats the second this week so do not know how many left. Hate to think what the neighbours make of it.

Probably 'poor old boy,wife's thrown him out again'! :P
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2008, 07:14:12 PM »
[

Tony, when I was young, I admired famous English tiger- and lionhunters - and now? what are you hunting now? narcissus flies and cutworms (insects  :o) - times changed totally ;D ?

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2008, 08:01:19 PM »
Actually, Gerd, the most common British hunting target nowadays is a Dentist, specifically the rarest species, the National Health Dentist.... this is an ever-increasing pastime across the UK with particularly avid hunters in Scotland, where only one in five people have access to one of these precious animals.....the rest are left to try to find the other variety, becoming more widespread bu not at all popular, the Private Dentist.....the lack of popularity of the Private Dentist is entirely down to cost..... only the richest snowdrop collectors can afford one of these ( in stark contrast to the world of Galanthophiles, where the most expensive IS the most popular). The majority of the nation is left to try to satisfy their instinct for hunting and bloodlust by pulling out their own teeth with pliers.

Try a Google search of Dentists in the UK and see the sorts of newspaper reports....sadly this is not a joke :-X
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #89 on: February 07, 2008, 08:36:05 PM »
Gerd I have given up on tigers but I would still give chase to a good looking woman (in my dreams)

Maggie I still have a NHS dentist for the moment but Mrs W.or as I usually call her plumtious lost hers last month. It now costs the equivalent of a good snowdrop per month to keep her healthy
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal