We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Dryad Nursery summer list  (Read 7967 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Dryad Nursery summer list
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 01:52:01 PM »
Could be, Anne - but if so there's a lot of it about so you needn't worry about it!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 02:05:52 PM »
Nothing nurdy about those seedlings, Anne!
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 02:21:02 PM »
Outside the EU as in America?

Arnold

How will you get round the legislation?  Thought seeds were difficult and plants impossible.
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2014, 02:39:27 PM »
I'm not getting round it - I am complying with it - the nursery stock has been inspected while in growth, and the bulbs will be inspected as lifted before dispatch. Expensive business  ???
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

art600

« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2014, 02:50:27 PM »
Anne

I did not mean in any way to impugn your integrity.  Will you be providing a phytosanitary certificate - or is even that not required?

Even when sending seeds to friends in Europe I face interrogation from our local Post Office.  Impressed by their diligence but the people in the queue that formed were not!
Arthur Nicholls

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2014, 03:39:42 PM »
My local post office never queries whats in my packages
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

art600

« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2014, 06:43:50 PM »
Mark

Apparently they should if it is going overseas.
Arthur Nicholls

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2014, 07:04:45 PM »
Mark

Apparently they should if it is going overseas.
Seems odd that you should be closely questioned. Of course there are prohibitions and restrictions ( for both home and international mail)  (http://www.postoffice.co.uk/prohibited-goods-international?intcampaignid=Mnmailprohibitedgoodsinternational ) but surely a declaration that you are aware of these and that your package  does not contain any such items is sufficient ? For many countries a customs declaration is needed and as well as the contents I seem to remember that that also includes you signing that the contents are all admissible to the postal system. It is stated on the UK post office website that it is not the duty of that body to oversee the regulations of foreign countries...    "You are responsible for checking whether or not an item is prohibited or restricted. If you send prohibited goods or restricted goods (and you do not comply with the relevant terms and conditions), we may deal with your items as we see fit, including but not limited to, disposing of the parcels concerned (in whole or in part)."
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2014, 07:41:00 PM »
I regularly need to send copies of The Rock Garden to advertisers abroad and some time ago one of the girls asked me what was in the envelopes I wanted to post, there followed this conversation:-

Me: magazines
PO Girl: just magazines?
Me: Only ones with a strong sexual content. At this point the girl blushed, said "That's all right then and rushed on with weighing and stamping them. It was only after she had prepared my receipt I said "I was only pulling your leg, they were gardening magazines" and we had a laugh about it. She must have told her colleagues though because whenever I go in the post office with bulky envelopes to post I get "Sex stuff again Mr Nicholson?" and then I do the blushing and rapid explanations.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2014, 10:55:21 AM »
Art, I didn't take any offense - It's the first time I've done this, but I'm assuming when I have the bulbs inspected prior to sending them, I will get whatever documentation is needed. Anyone familiar with the routine might like to tell us what's involved?

www.dryad-home.co.uk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2014, 01:54:15 PM »
Anne  - For Canada:

We need to get a Permit and permit number for your nursey which shows the genera we intend to buy.  That permit # must be on all documention and the requirements for the phyto will be shown on said permit.  Advise your inspector of these requirements shown on said permit, these must be shown as "free of" on the phyto.

If a genus is covered by CITES the same applies as the permit above but you must discuss with your inspector there as you have obligations regarding CITES on your end as well.

I believe once those paper arrive there will also be a mailing label for you directing the parcel to Ag Canada with a forwarding address to the Canadian buyer.

I have copies of such papers from previous imports and will photo for you by mid-week.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:07:07 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Susan Band

• Pitcairn Alpines
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2014, 02:30:44 PM »
Hi Anne
You will find if you build a relationship with the inspector he will help you. The guys up here are really friendly. The regs differ for each country. Some only need a phyto certificate for the bulbs after they are dug. Some need import certificates issued at the customers end, this is for tax as well as health reasons. Some need checks in the ground as you have already had, for potatoe cyst. Often every three years is okay. Some have a list of not permitted items, mostly trees. Your inspector should look it up for you and give you a cost. Once you find out what is need you should be okay. The countries on website will help as well.
I found that I will rather stick to EU

Susan
Susan Band, Pitcairn Alpines, ,PERTH. Scotland

Susan's website:
http://www.pitcairnalpines.co.uk

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2014, 02:46:25 PM »
Anne  / Susan

A bit more than the potatoe cyst; here were the requirements ex Colesbourne for Canada only under "11. additional information" and the previous paragraph 10.  I presume if you grow in soil or anything containing soil or local peat etc then the soil or medium must be tested for these:

Cost for phyto & CITES was £122 which we happily paid back then.

johnw
« Last Edit: June 08, 2014, 02:56:16 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2014, 08:27:41 PM »
Oh heck - my feet are getting very cold....but I'm committed now (or I very soon will be  ::)). Thank you for everyone's advice. This may well be the last year I do it as well!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #29 on: June 19, 2014, 02:56:42 PM »
Hello Anne ,

I have just looked your Galanthus pics from your Gallery ....all is very nice - but sorry to say your "Maximus/Yvonne Hay" is a wrong named plant
Please look :
http://www.srgc.net/forum/index.php?topic=11202.msg290532#msg290532
but you will find also a lot of other pics from this plant in the web ...

Only a advice
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal