We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: June 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere  (Read 28110 times)

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: June 2014 in the Northern Hemisphere
« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2014, 01:06:19 AM »
Albuca humilis grown from seed sent to me by Palustris....................

Thanks! I love it!

I have some Albuca humilis seedlings coming on. Are they as fragrant as it is said?

Nicotiana sylvestris is not rare and might be considered a weed. In our hot climate, fragrance, especially in the evening or at night, is divine! I do keep them thinned. Sort of.  :)
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2014, 06:17:22 AM »
I have some Albuca humilis seedlings coming on. Are they as fragrant as it is said?
I can't say that I've noticed it. A.shawii is certainly more noticable.

Nicotiana sylvestris is not rare and might be considered a weed. In our hot climate, fragrance, especially in the evening or at night, is divine! I do keep them thinned. Sort of.  :)
They're just popping up now here. Reliably 2 to 2.5 metres by the end of August and uber fragrant.
My N.glauca is in bud already, but lacks fragrance as I'm sure that you're aware - considered a weed in parts of California I believe?
West Oxon where it gets cold!

meanie

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2014, 07:27:58 AM »
A few more general shots.

Salvia froskoalii (spelling?) is proving to be a star. Four feet tall and multi-branched.......................

Digitalis lutea is another that is romping away this year...................

Digitalis parviflora in bloom. I lost three stems to slugs or snails (chomped through), but a few remain..................

Lobelia tupa is going to be another superstar this year. Despite being described as a bit borderline it is thriving here..................

Robert

« Reply #108 on: June 20, 2014, 01:47:11 PM »
I can't say that I've noticed it. A.shawii is certainly more noticable.
They're just popping up now here. Reliably 2 to 2.5 metres by the end of August and uber fragrant.
My N.glauca is in bud already, but lacks fragrance as I'm sure that you're aware - considered a weed in parts of California I believe?

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep a look out for Albuca shawii.

Writing of weeds..... Despite the heat we still have a few Digitalis in bloom. Maybe I should get a few photos as they are looking good. Mostly hybrids as many of the species have crossed with each other and I let them all seed about. I think that maybe I complain too much that the garden is devoid of flowers when the weather turns hot and dry. It is not so bad considering that it is 35 - 40+c almost everyday now until late September.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Steve Garvie

• Rainbirder's photostream
« Reply #109 on: June 20, 2014, 02:29:10 PM »
A few more general shots.

Lobelia tupa is going to be another superstar this year. Despite being described as a bit borderline it is thriving here..................

Lobelia tupa that I grew from seed survived the -18C mini Ice Age of a few years ago. It behaves like a deciduous perennial here though it's apparently evergreen in Chile. In a good year can be up to 5feet. I just wish we had some Hummingbirds to pollinate it!
WILDLIFE PHOTOSTREAM: http://www.flickr.com/photos/rainbirder/

Steve
West Fife, Scotland.

meanie

« Reply #110 on: June 20, 2014, 04:58:24 PM »
Lobelia tupa that I grew from seed survived the -18C mini Ice Age of a few years ago. It behaves like a deciduous perennial here though it's apparently evergreen in Chile. In a good year can be up to 5feet. I just wish we had some Hummingbirds to pollinate it!
That's what I don't get. Minus five is the best that I've seen quoted for it (and they were trying to sell it), yet mine has taken -15°c. I do cover it with the fallen Taxodium leaves, but that's it. I never cut the stems off until the spring when it's back in growth. The other mistake that I think some people make is to assume that it likes it damp like the other perennial Lobelia - mine is in a dry spot and is thriving. I expect it to hit 2/2.5 metres easily this year.
I do get a fair amount of viable seed from mine.

Thanks for the reply! I'll keep a look out for Albuca shawii.

Writing of weeds..... Despite the heat we still have a few Digitalis in bloom. Maybe I should get a few photos as they are looking good. Mostly hybrids as many of the species have crossed with each other and I let them all seed about. I think that maybe I complain too much that the garden is devoid of flowers when the weather turns hot and dry. It is not so bad considering that it is 35 - 40+c almost everyday now until late September.

If you draw a blank on the Albuca seeds let me know as mine reliably produces seed.

I like the sound of the hybrid self seeding Digitalis!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2014, 05:59:14 PM by meanie »

rgc

« Reply #111 on: June 20, 2014, 05:33:24 PM »
Hi
Lilium nepalensis in the garden today. One flower plus a another that should open very soon. Sorry for the poor quality of the photographs especially with my hand holding up the flower.
Bob
Bob, Stirling

Robert

« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2014, 12:20:14 AM »

If you draw a blank on the Albuca seeds let me know as mine reliably produces seed.

I like the sound of the hybrid self seeding Digitalis!

That sounds wonderful! I'll do some looking around first and see what turns up here in the states.

It was a busy day today but I did manage to photograph a few of the open pollinated digitalis hybrids. These two photos turned out okay. I've had many species in the garden over the years. I'm sure that these are 10 generations out or more out.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

meanie

« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2014, 06:14:06 AM »
That sounds wonderful! I'll do some looking around first and see what turns up here in the states.

It was a busy day today but I did manage to photograph a few of the open pollinated digitalis hybrids. These two photos turned out okay. I've had many species in the garden over the years. I'm sure that these are 10 generations out or more out.

No probs! I still have some left from last year which I could post straight away if you have no luck.

My interest in the east European Digitalis grows. As they're fairly unusual in the UK and rather different in the form of their flowers I find they are very adaptable, looking equally at home next to spikeys (such as Aloe striatula) as they do in with herbaceous cottage garden plants.

I also have seed for D.parviflora. It grows next to D.lutea so there is a chance of cross pollination, but in the past it has always come true. Come to think of it there should be seed for D.lutea too.

Lori S.

• hiking & biking on our behalf !
« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2014, 06:41:11 AM »
June is wonderful here!!  Let's see if I can summarize it in photos...
Pyrethrum leontopodium; Penstemon humilis v. brevifolius; Gentiana verna; Androsace sempervivoides; Erigeron compositus v. discoideus (not rayless, obviously, so I guess I should quit calling it "var. discoideus", which is supposed to be rayless):
448318-0  448320-1  448322-2  448324-3 448326-4

« Last Edit: June 21, 2014, 04:44:01 PM by Lori S. »
Lori
Calgary, Alberta, Canada - Zone 3
-30 C to +30 C (rarely!); elevation ~1130m; annual precipitation ~40 cm

Lori S.

« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2014, 06:55:33 AM »
Oops, only 5 photos per post - that seems new?  Ok, this might take a while then.   ;D
[Phacelia sericea; Potentilla uniflora; Arenaria kansuensis; Dianthus scardicus; Eritrichium howardii:
448334-0 448336-1  448338-2 448340-3 448342-4
Lori

Lori S.

« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2014, 06:59:29 AM »
Phlox hendersonii; Coronilla vaginalis; Erigeron pinnatisectus; Penstemon nitidus; Globularia cordifolia:
Lori

Lori S.

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2014, 07:02:38 AM »
Ranunculus parnassifolius; Aethionema schistosum and Androsace; Aethionema glaucescens; Silene bolanthoides - 2 plants, slightly different flower colour:
Lori

Lori S.

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2014, 07:05:06 AM »
Androsace fedtschenkoi; Carduncellus pinnatus in bud; Fritillaria kamschatcensis; Townsendia parryi; Aquilegia laramiensis:
Lori

Lori S.

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
Rhodiola rosea; Dianthus and Penstemon x 'Pink Holly'; Dracocephalum nutans; Lithospermum ruderale; Verbascum atroviolaceum:
Lori

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal