We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium, June 2014  (Read 11022 times)

Roma

Lilium, June 2014
« on: June 04, 2014, 07:16:08 PM »
Lilium carniolicum
Lilium albanicum
Lilium oxypetalum insigne
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
Re: Lilium, June 2014
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2014, 01:27:23 AM »
Roma,

Thank you for sharing the lovely lily photographs. In our part of California it is a bit hot for L. oxypetalum insgne. I keep trying. They are so beautiful.

Thanks for sharing. They look great!
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Robert

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 12:22:05 AM »
Yes it is June  :o

Sometimes our lilies seed around the yard, sometimes the rodents drag them around. This Lilium regale came up and grew through our Magnolia stellata rosea. How it got there I will never know but it works for us!

I grew on some seedlings of 'White Henryi' x henryi many years ago. They are strong growers; taking drought, heat and everything else and they still bloom well every season.
Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 09:07:02 AM »
Lilium candidum
and Lilium philadelphum
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Robert

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 03:26:45 AM »
Down in the Sacramento Valley at our valley home there is a giant Hydrangea macrophylla 'Isu No Hana'. When this Hydrangea was still small I planted some Lilium sagentiae seedlings near it. Clearly I wasn't thinking about how large the Hydrangea would grow. The lily has been dug and moved a few times with pieces remaining. Now a 3 meter lily stalk grows out of the top of this Hydrangea. The photograph is from a piece left from the last time I moved this lily. It is only 2 meters tall.

Lilium davidii is easy and long lived even in the hot Sacramento Valley.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

pontus

« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 10:00:12 PM »
I have finally had sucess with some of my beloved dryland lilium sp! :) they love teh sun and heat we are having this summer, and some even flowered in may!

lilium kelleyanum, kelloggii and columbianum.

I also have a large bud on my humbolditii....:) :) more images will follow in teh next few days!

Pontus

Robert

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 12:28:11 AM »
Pontus,

Are your Lilium kelleyanum fragrant? Lilium kelleyanum grows in our area. I have to admit that I've never seen any that look like yours in our area. Were they grown from wild seed? If so, from what area of California did they come from? Around here, ours are much more orange-red. They are always fragrant.

Anyway, your lilies are beautiful, some with nice trusses! I hope that your L. humboldtii comes on to bloom. They are such a beautiful site.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

pontus

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 11:07:59 PM »
I cannot remember if they where fragrant, as they finished blooming about 10 days ago, but I think they had a slight fragrance.

do you have pictures of some kelleyanums from your area?

I purchased them from a nursery that had indeed grown them from californian seed originally.

in the whait for humbolditii, here are some more gems...the fabulous Derek Fox hybrid from kelloggii, 'Lake tulare', and also lilium wiginsii and a nice form of pardalinum giganteum as well as Canadense

Pontus

Robert

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 03:18:24 AM »
Pontus,

I do not have a photograph of Lilium kelleyanum. It would be interesting to know about yellow forms of L. kelleyanum. It is variable on the east side of the Sierras, so I would not be surprised to find out there are yellow forms. It would be no different than L. parvum that has pink and yellow forms or the gradation of L. pardalinum in the Marble Mountains as it changes to variety or subspecies wigginsii as one moves up the mountain.

Some day I must investigate the lilies on the east side of the Sierras. There is much going on over there with the lilies.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 12:37:55 PM »
Beautiful lilies Pontus.
I love the form of canadense.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Tony Willis

• Wandering Star
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 07:19:22 PM »
Lilium candidum in the wild-Macedonia last week
Chorley, Lancashire zone 8b

pontus

« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2014, 09:34:35 PM »
And here it is, in my opinion one of the most beautifull lilies in existance! Lilium humbolditii! :) ....

What a nice surprise it was to find this bloom open this morning!! :)

Pontus

Geoforce

• Learning is Living
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 11:07:32 PM »
Pontus

Really like you photo od L. canadense.  Don't think I've ever encountered one with spots that widely spread.  I'm more familiar with the buff yellows with spots only in the throat.

Geo
George Forsythe, Pennsylvania, USA
"Learn something new everyday."

Roma

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 09:06:08 PM »
The Martagon lilies are coming into flower
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

Robert

« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2014, 12:43:52 AM »
An acceptable pink trumpet seedling to plant out into the garden next season.  :)

And more L. davidii. This must be their year. Not much variation in this batch of seedlings.
Robert Barnard

- Henry David Thoreau

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal