We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Lilium, June 2014  (Read 11023 times)

arisaema

Re: Lilium, June 2014
« Reply #45 on: July 07, 2014, 10:21:22 AM »
It's from the type location, so it is indeed L. henrici - and yes, these are the plants I collected seeds from. That said, the pictures were taking in a shaded forest in pouring rain, so the petals may very well be more spreading in cultivation. Protologue below, note it clearly says "perianthium albidum [...] campanulatum".

I'm heading to Huidong next, I suspect whatever Chen Yi has introduced of "henrici" originated there, thus they would in fact be L. huidongense.

arisaema

« Reply #46 on: July 07, 2014, 10:26:34 AM »
I think your right Bjørnar. This clump is just too vigorous and vulgar to be a wild Lilium species. It was initially purchased from Crûg Farm Plants in Wales. They grow a lot of wild lilies from seed and so I assumed that the identification must be right but I agree the plant they sell as xanthellum v. luteum looks nothing like the images of the wild species. Here is a link to xanthellum var. luteum in the Crûg Farm Plants nursery catalogue: http://mailorder.crug-farm.co.uk/?pid=10679

That's a rather bad mistake... I know they have bought from Chen Yi in the past, and propagated the stock in their nursery - and I seem to remember a discussion in the Yahoo Lily Group about a Dane (Lykkegård?) sending her some hybrid bulbs, which ended up being sent out to customers the same, or following, year. Seems you got an overpriced Asiatic hybrid of possible Danish origin  :P

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #47 on: July 07, 2014, 11:50:48 AM »
For those of you not on Facebook: Lilium yapingense.
Wow, These are superb - very exciting to see these, thanks!

Description of Lilium yapingense :
http://www.sekj.org/PDF/anb50-free/anb50-187.pdf
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 03:03:21 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

winwen

« Reply #48 on: July 07, 2014, 01:23:42 PM »
It's from the type location, so it is indeed L. henrici - and yes, these are the plants I collected seeds from. That said, the pictures were taking in a shaded forest in pouring rain, so the petals may very well be more spreading in cultivation. Protologue below, note it clearly says "perianthium albidum [...] campanulatum".

I'm heading to Huidong next, I suspect whatever Chen Yi has introduced of "henrici" originated there, thus they would in fact be L. huidongense.
Interesting hypothesis, Bjornar! In her email, Chen Yi stated that the lily shown was from SE-Tibet. I don't know if L. huidongense grows there.
However: when I bought the bulbs, they turned out to be L. taliense or L. duchartrei (...don't know how to separate these from each other).
Unfortunately with Chen Yi it is always a "Life is like a box of choclate....."-game. I guess about 30% of the catalogue is not what it should be. So I'm still hoping to meet the real L-123 one day.

Vienna/Austria (USDA Zone 7b)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal