We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus January 2008  (Read 31542 times)

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
Re: Narcissus January 2008
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2008, 06:28:38 PM »
Here some Narcissus romieuxii in my garden.

Luit,
a beautiful color. Primula yellow.
You raise them in a sand bed?
Best wishes
Armin

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2008, 07:56:44 PM »
Thank you for your comments.

Luc, I used to grow them in pots, but that was sooooooo much work.  ;)
This way is easier, but I could make more than hundred of pots.

Gerd, I only cover them with a glas when it's really winter, until now only in December when one could skate on th canal.

Armin, I just grow them in our ordinary gardensoil which is sand.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2008, 08:08:12 PM »
Today I saw a seldom seen Narcissus on Showtables.
It was at he Weekly Flowershow in Lisse and is called the Chinese Sacred Lily,
which in China is used at the celebration of Chinese New Year, (this year eight February)
Only in China is a production of this Narcissus (Narc. tazetta var. orientalis of
600 Hectares ( appr. 1500 acres)
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2008, 11:30:13 PM »
I have one Narcissus hedraeanthus coming out in the darkness that is my bulb house. The stem is 2 cm and the flower less than 1cm wide.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2008, 11:38:30 PM »
I have one Narcissus hedraeanthus coming out in the darkness that is my bulb house. The stem is 2 cm and the flower less than 1cm wide.
Been out with your miner's lamp, again, Anthony? Your Nar. hed. is barely visible to the naked eye... irresistible, aren't they?

Today I saw a seldom seen Narcissus on Showtables.
It was at he Weekly Flowershow in Lisse and is called the Chinese Sacred Lily,
which in China is used at the celebration of Chinese New Year, (this year eight February)
Only in China is a production of this Narcissus (Narc. tazetta var. orientalis of
600 Hectares ( appr. 1500 acres)
That is some acreage of this tazetta, Luit!
I think the tazetta varieties we can buy in our florists shops  must come instead from the Netherlands or perhaps the Scilly Isles... I must get some in celebration of the Chinese New Year- and Ian's homecoming that day! :D
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2008, 11:48:46 PM »
Luit, I was told romieuxii cant grow outside. I must put mine out but maybe in a trough.

Many Narcissus buds ready to burst in my garden. Already in flower are 'Bagatelle' and 'Bowles Early Sulphur'. 'Fairy Gold' is doing very well after almost being wiped out by the dreaded fly. There will be 8 flowers this year. Time to get some chopped
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #66 on: January 29, 2008, 04:47:55 AM »
Great pics everyone.  Still catching up with everything I missed from a week away frmo the forum a couple of weeks ago.  Some wonderful Narcs in here.  Tony, could you add me to the queue for 'December Gold' as well, although in my case just for a bit of seed of it?  Looks lovely and sounds like a very large flower.  It'll take a while from seed but might be worthwhile if something even close to the parent appears!!!  ;D

Great stuff everyone!!
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #67 on: January 29, 2008, 07:33:31 AM »
I must get some in celebration of the Chinese New Year- and Ian's homecoming that day!

Happy New Year Maggi!   :-*

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2008, 09:29:36 AM »
Luit, I was told romieuxii cant grow outside. I must put mine out but maybe in a trough.
Mark, in your climate many of N. romieuxii can grow outside. They can stand a lot of frost!
For instance Narc. Julia Jane is grown in Holland outside for many years. The only damage can occur
to the leaves with strong frosts. If you plant them very late in november they will start flowering
also very late.
The only problem is when you leave them in the garden, they will most years not flower.
The bulbs need much heat during the resting period.

Gerdk

• grower of sweet violets
« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2008, 10:18:18 AM »
The only problem is when you leave them in the garden, they will most years not flower.
The bulbs need much heat during the resting period.

Luit,
Did the romieuxii , which were shown here experience a resting period during summer 2007 - i.e. were they stored without soil in a room?
I can second your opinion concerning  hardiness. Even here in a somewhat colder area N. romieuxii survived outside, but no or only few flowers.

Gerd
Gerd Knoche, Solingen
Germany

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #70 on: January 29, 2008, 12:55:10 PM »
Yes Gerd, it is the same as I told before, see:
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=1195.msg26873#msg26873
But I keep the bulbs in the pots or trays in the sandy soil they are growing in.
I believe when storing the bulbs inside, they would dry out too much.
(The prof. growers have of course better equipment for storing bulbs because they can add some
humidity if necessary).
Luit

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #71 on: January 29, 2008, 01:11:06 PM »
I also encountered bitter proof that these early mediteranean Narcissus don't really enjoy to be grown outside in our conditions.

I have a clump of Narc. bulbocodioides x mesatlanticus growing outside it gave me 7 or 8 flowers last winter.  After the funny 2007 season - early heat + wet summer I'm left with two bulbs and one single flower...  :'( I think I'll pot them up and make sure they get the summer rest and heat they long for.  :-\
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ian mcenery

• Maverick Midlander
  • Always room for another plant
« Reply #72 on: January 30, 2008, 12:01:38 AM »
This one by contrast doesn't mind a bit of moisture and has seeded itself in a plant of Ypsilandra tibetica
Ian McEnery Sutton Coldfield  West Midlands 600ft above sea level

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #73 on: January 30, 2008, 09:16:21 AM »
Here are some of my N. hedreanthus, a species which I like very much, being somewhat height challenged myself! Also N. albidus SF110 which is a lovely clean white, and N. 'Atlas Gold'. I'm not convinced by the petunioides type of flower that reflexes back upon itself, it's not very daffy-like.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #74 on: January 30, 2008, 09:53:22 AM »
Your pot of N. albidus looks very neat Anne - pristine white is the right word for it  I guess.
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal