We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Watering Paramongaia plants  (Read 1346 times)

Chuck

Watering Paramongaia plants
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:22:04 PM »
I planted some Paramongaia seeds last year and  they all came out fine from seed. In the winter I let them go dormant and right now some are slowly coming up in one pot but not moving in the other pots I have. I am just curious how you guys do your watering. I am planting in perlite, bark, and lava rock because I am afraid of over watering and killing them.  Right now I am spraying them about every three days when they are dormant and watering them when leaves come out. I hope this is the correct way to do it.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
Re: Watering Paramongaia plants
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:13 PM »
I'll be very interested in the responses myself.  I just recently received a nice healthy bulb, well rooted, of Paramongaia myself.  I potted it in very gritty mix and set it outdoors in the sun.  It quickly made leaves, and now I wonder how to treat it for the rest of the summer?

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

PeterT

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2014, 08:03:20 AM »
Caution led to poor growth for me. A little more soil in the compost and less caution with the watering (while in growth) this year has given me a much better plant. Mine is the Summer growing form from Bill Dijt.
living near Stranraer, Scotland. Gardening in the West of Scotland.

jshields

• Shields Gardens
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 07:13:28 PM »
Mine has since browned off its leaves, so I shoved its pot back under the eaves but left it out in the sun and what warmth we've had this odd summer.  I guess I'll leave it dry till it shows some sign of wanting to grow again???

Jim
Jim Shields, Westfield, Indiana, USA
http://www.shieldsgardens.com/Blogs/Garden/index.html

Chuck

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 06:30:16 AM »
It has been about a year and I think I have figured this out. I have them potted with perlite and lavarock.  I keep them in near full sun. I tend to water during growth every week once. In California we get rain in the winter and it is cold. They do not really like that, so you must bring them inside during rain even during growing season. I fertilize every 3-4 weeks

They really like good drainage and when they go dormant, I water them every 10 days. You want the pot partially moist but not wet. Wetness will rot the bulb. But a bit moist is fine, you do not want to get them bone dry.  Last year they went dormant during late spring so I started reducing water when the leaf tips brown.

They tend to come back in the fall and you can start watering when you see them starting to send out shoots. But you must be careful not to rot the leaves or get them sun burned. If you are paranoid you can dig them out and look at them.  They do not mind being moved around at all.

The seeds can be store in the fridge for over two years and still have good germination. If you start the seeds at the wrong time do not worry, they tend to normalize themselves once they figure out the differences in light.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal