We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Let me introduce myself ...  (Read 156753 times)

Cris

• Bolbos em Flor
Re: Let me introduce myself ...
« Reply #270 on: October 30, 2007, 09:48:27 PM »
Hi

Aslhey, it is an Allium, but I don´t know the variety. In spring I hope to post more pics of it, and you can identify it. 

Pascal, soyez bienvenu dans ce forum, je l'ai découvert il y a peu de temps et je le trouve trés intéressant. 

Cris
Lisboa, Portugal

WimB

• always digs deeper...
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
« Reply #271 on: November 16, 2007, 03:42:34 PM »
If haven't introduced myself yet  :-[
so here goes

I'm Wim Boens, I live in a small village in Belgium, called Zwevezele (near to Bruges). I'm still studying, I'm in my last year western european archaeology at the university of Ghent.

In plants my interests are mainly shade loving plants, rock garden plants and small bulbs.

Greetings
Wim Boens - Secretary VRV (Flemish Rock Garden Society) - Seed exchange manager Crocus Group
Wingene Belgium zone 8a

Flemish Rock Garden society (VRV): http://www.vrvforum.be/
Facebook page VRV: http://www.facebook.com/pages/VRV-Vlaamse-Rotsplanten-Vereniging/351755598192270

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #272 on: November 16, 2007, 09:15:51 PM »
Hello, Wim, glad to have you introduce yourself!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #273 on: November 17, 2007, 04:55:15 PM »
Hello to Everybody,
Actually I have introduced myself in the Bulblog forum, but I have noticed just now that there is a special topic for this. :o

So, I am Katherine Jozsa (pronounce: something like Yosha) from Budapest, the capital of Hungary. This is a small country with low mountains (max 1000 m), so I have started a few years ago to collect alpines. ;D
And now, reading the bulblog I am more and more interested in small bulbous plants. Especially cyclamens (they have tubers, I know), but others too. In Hungary there is a single nursery which has a few special alpines, and there are no nurseries which have small bulbs >:(. Hungarian people are busy with politics and running for money, so they don't have time for gardening.
Fortunately there is a society for "plant-lowers" here, in Budapest, and we make seed exchanges with many botanical gardens and nurseries of the world.
I am married for 11 years with the best husband who ever existed, and we make wonderful trips in the Alps and take many photos with alpines (OK, he makes the photos, and I determine the plants). Last summer we spent two weeks in the Dolomites.
In the meantime I am working in our miniature prepress studio, but this is the less interestig thing in my life.
We don't have a garden of our own, only a balcony. but we live in a big house with 9 flats which has a garden, so I can have a little space for my plants (mostly in pots and plastic troughs). And there is an unheated and frost free staircase with big windows which is my glasshouse ;D.
I am very happy to meet you all here, on this forum, this is fantastic!
Here is a Thlaspi rotundifolium from the Dolomites to cheer you in the winter (I hate winter):
Kata Jozsa - Budapest, Hungary
Zone 6

http://gardenonbalcony.blogspot.com

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #274 on: November 17, 2007, 05:24:19 PM »
Hi Kathrine ,

A warm welcome from Germany !
Here a question : I have heard that my name "Joschko" comes maybe from Hungary - is it true ?
I believe that "Josef" is Joschi  - so your name is similar ?
You are lucky to be in Hungary -there grows many fine plants like Helleborus ,Paeonia,Sternbergia .....

Have fun
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #275 on: November 17, 2007, 06:27:12 PM »
Hi, Hans!
You are right, Jozef = Joschi and Joschka too.
And indeed, here live some good plants: the Sternbergia colchiciflora, some Helleborus species (odorus, purpurascens and dumetorum), Paeonia officinalis ssp. banatica, Colchicum hungarica and C. arenarium, Pulsatilla hungarica, Primula auricula ssp. hungarica (I have never seen that), Linum dolomiticum, and so on. But they are extremly rare and difficult to find. :(
Zone 6

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #276 on: November 17, 2007, 06:44:26 PM »
Hi Katherine ,

Thank you for confirmation  :D
Yes - this plants are rare .....but if you are diligent .....may be some days you can show us pics.
Do you grow any Helleborus ?
Maybe we can swap something in future.....
Paeonia officinalis sspp. banatica have I found in Slowenia and Croatia  ;D

Katherine J

• Lurking and learning
    • Flowers from the Alps
« Reply #277 on: November 17, 2007, 07:10:10 PM »
No, I don't grow Helleborus, but I have a friend who does, and I'm sure he would give me seeds if I ask him. We will talk about next summer. ;)
Zone 6

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #278 on: November 17, 2007, 07:40:39 PM »
Katherine ,

Here is a pic of a P. bantica in my garden -this plant I have received from one of my friends -this clone comes orginaly from the loc. class. in Hungary :)
I grow

Enjoy
Hans

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #279 on: November 17, 2007, 09:31:47 PM »
Welcome Kathrine, Wim and anyone else I've missed.  All the best from sunny Canberra, Australia.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #280 on: November 18, 2007, 04:50:21 PM »
Welcome to this great forum Katherine and don't you dare complain about your 1000 m "low" mountains, we don't come even close to that out here in Belgium...  ;D

Welkom Wim - altijd blij een land- en streekgenoot hier te zien !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

dominique

• River Dweller
  • passionated by bulbs since 1978,
« Reply #281 on: November 27, 2007, 06:38:36 PM »
I'm trying to post a photo.
If it is well suceded, you can seed an Allium flower, a lovely plant that grows wild here.

Hi Cris
your pic  is Allium roseum.
I am a new member of SRGC and of this forum. I'm french, in Burgundy where the rivers Saone and Doubs married them. My garden ( 3500m2 ) has sandy soil off danger from the water level. I love particularly bulbplants ( Crocus, Colchicum, Narcissus, Sternbergia, Tulipa, Galanthus, Leucojum and Allium), Gentiana, Primula and dianthus. I am sure that this forum will give before all new friends from all over the world with the same passions and different experiences.

Pascal, bienvenue réciproque. Ce sera facile d'échanger nos points de vue en français !!!
do

Pontoux France

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #282 on: November 27, 2007, 07:11:06 PM »
Bievenue Dominique to the best forum in the world !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #283 on: November 27, 2007, 07:14:14 PM »
Welcome Dominique!
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

Joakim B

• Euro Star
  • Journal Access Group
« Reply #284 on: December 06, 2007, 01:18:36 PM »
A late welcome to everyone and especially to Katherine or is it Katalin?
I am also gardening in Hungary near Zalaegerzeg (maybe wrong spelling) when I visit Hungary. I am half Hungarian after my father but I do not speak the language so I am more Swede now and am getting more Portuguese than Hungarian with time.
I have also heard of cyclamen growing in Hungary at lest my grandfather used to love them when he was walking in the alps (or what is left of them  when they come to Hungary) near Sopron. We have found a nursery that once sold cyclamen and they are now growing in Sweden. It may be Dutch bulbs that have nothing to do with Hungary but for us they are special.
I mostly grow iris myself in Hungary and roses so they are not really alpine plants but we are trying to have some other plants as well like sedums.
Take care and it is nice to see people from all over the world here.
Kind regards from
Joakim in Portugal
« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 07:15:04 PM by Maggi Young »
Potting in Lund in Southern Sweden and Coimbra in the middle of Portugal as well as a hill side in central Hungary

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal