We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Let me introduce myself ...  (Read 157442 times)

Ian Y

• Bulb Despot
  • Administrator
  • Why grow one bulb when you can grow two:-))
    • Direct link to the Bulb Log SRGC
Re: Let me introduce myself ...
« Reply #405 on: April 07, 2008, 09:55:11 AM »
Hi David may I also extend my welcome to you.
I am always delighted when we get another forum member I look forward to seeing some pictures of your plants.
Ian Young, Aberdeen North East Scotland   - 
The person who says it cannot be done should not interrupt the person doing it.
https://www.srgc.org.uk/logs/index.php?log=bulb

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #406 on: April 08, 2008, 06:16:39 AM »
A warm welcome David, to this best of all plant websites. Are you by any chance related to Cora McConachie? I have met her just once, many years ago but she was a loyal nursery customer for ages, it seems. I'd like to know if she is still well and gardening.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

DavMac

« Reply #407 on: April 08, 2008, 10:46:04 AM »
Lesley,
I don't think that I am related to Cora. My grandfather and one of his brother emigrated to New Zealand just before WWI and my greatuncle died in France.

My mother was a Bayne and her family comes from your area so you may know some of my relations on that side.

I think that we may have a friend in common. When I was living in Palmerston North I grew a lot of plants with Jenny Mair and learnt a lot from her.

David
David McConachie, Korokoro, New Zealand

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #408 on: April 08, 2008, 10:36:47 PM »
Yes, I do know Jenny tho' haven't seen her for years. We usually meet at things like the recent NZAGS Study Weekend but I don't think she was there this time.

I do know a lot of Baynes in Dunedin, tho' I think most of them are Baine or Baines. David, of course. What a botch up that was (probably! :-\)
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Heinie

« Reply #409 on: August 10, 2008, 09:29:42 PM »
Hi Forum Members.

I am Heinie from Cape Town , South Africa and probably the first member from here. I grow Clivias as a primary hobby but have a very keen interest in any bulbous plants. I became addicted to Daylilies about a year ago because there are such beautiful colours and shapes around. My collection is expanding rapidly and have just completed potting my first crosses of some 70 seedlings into individual 2 litre plastic bags.

You will find out more about myself as the discussions go along here in future.

Heinie
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #410 on: August 10, 2008, 09:43:40 PM »
Hi Heinie,
it is great to have you in the forum!
Best wishes
Armin

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #411 on: August 10, 2008, 10:05:08 PM »
Terrific to have you join us, Heinie. We do look forward to  learning more about you.

Actually we do have at least one other South African here in the Forum: Rogan Roth in Pietermaritzburg, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa  though he has not been around much forthe last few months, I think he is busy with a new house!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #412 on: August 10, 2008, 10:19:03 PM »
Hi Heinie ,

nice to meet you here   ;D ( we both know us from other forums too )

I'm glad that you are now like to share your knowledge about south african plant with all of us !!!

Maybe you can post some pics of your growing area and your plants here !

Enjoy your stay here on this wonderful forum
Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Heinie

« Reply #413 on: August 10, 2008, 10:54:57 PM »
Thank you Aruby, Maggy and Hans for the welcome. I am looking forward to learn from this Forum members about different plants from around the world here.

Hans, I will certainly continue to post my plants on this Forum too but I will have to find my way around here first to see what the discussion headings on the main menu is about. I do not want to misplace my posts and upset the apple cart so to speak.

Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
« Reply #414 on: August 11, 2008, 12:21:37 AM »
Hello Heinie, by all means have a look through the main index because there are so many different topics and points of view, but don't be too worried about posting something in the wrong place. Our marvellous Saint Maggi keeps us all on the right track and sorts our posting problems, and never a grumble from her, or not here anyway. Maybe Ian gets an earful occasionally.

My All Black lads will be with you at the weekend. You will be nice to them, won't you?

arillady

« Reply #415 on: August 11, 2008, 01:08:14 AM »
Yes welcome Heinie from another fairly new member of this forum who has learnt so much already from the diverse interests that forum members display. 
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #416 on: August 11, 2008, 06:35:00 AM »
Welcome Heinie from another Aussie member.  As Lesley says, don't be too worried if you post something somewhere incorrect.... The Maggi will move it for you, with a smile.  As you'll discover as you wander through the site, she is also open to bribes with chocolate to fix up mistakes!  ;)

All joking aside, we're a friendly bunch and rarely get upset with anyone, so post away and don't be too worried about putting a foot wrong.  8)
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #417 on: August 11, 2008, 11:31:32 AM »
Hmm! I thought when my ears were burning that someone was talking about me...... ;)
Thank you for your kindly words about me, Folks.... I am feeling more saintly by the minute..... :-[ :-*

Heinie, as my friends tell you, don't worry about things.... I can usually sort out a muddle if it arises.....I get practice sorting out my own muddles  :-[   The Forum is easy to navigate, I think ( well, I can manage it!) and you can correct lots of little mistakes yourself by simply returning to "edit" your post . This thread is helpful, too :
http://www.srgc.org.uk/smf/index.php?topic=41.0
« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 11:33:20 AM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Heinie

« Reply #418 on: August 11, 2008, 12:50:18 PM »
Maggie,
Thank you for the kind advice. I will have no problem finding my way around it is only to get through all the lovely posts of a long time ago to present. I am also a member on two other plant Forums where the same program is made used of. Although the Main Menu on the Home page is a little different and perhaps easier with many more sub sections I have no problem to navigate and I will get assistance from kind members too who will pick up that I am going in the wrong direction. I will post some photos of my Clivia shade houses soon. It may be something a little different to what you are used to here but enjoy it please.

Here are two links to the Clivia Forum and the Gardener Forum run by my local friends. Have a look and join us there too as we are all plant growers.

http://www.gardenerforum.co.za

http://www.cliviaforum.co.za

« Last Edit: August 11, 2008, 12:53:00 PM by Heinie »
Regards
Heinie
poussion@telkomsa.net
Cape Town, South Africa

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #419 on: August 11, 2008, 02:09:35 PM »
Welcome from me too Heinie, as a new grower of some South African species I look forward to reading your posts to further my learning.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal