We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Let me introduce myself ...  (Read 158106 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Let me introduce myself ...
« Reply #225 on: September 16, 2007, 11:20:58 PM »
Will do, Christine.
Just a thought, should it be Astrantia minor ?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 11:27:22 PM by Maggi Young »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Michael

« Reply #226 on: September 24, 2007, 02:39:17 PM »
Hehe ups... I think I introduced myself on the wong place. I just found this place for introductions today.
Well here we go again:

Hi ;D
My name is Michael, I'm 21 and I am at the 3rd year of Biology course. I live at Madeira Island (Portugal) and since i was an embryo I got freak'd by the plant kingdom!!! Recently I got really obsessed with bulbs (mainly hardy ones) and I want to try and grow some in the next few years, a real challenge!! This forum was the best thing I ever found!  :D
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:39:51 PM by Maggi Young »
"F" for Fritillaria, that's good enough to me ;)
Mike

Portugal, Madeira Island

ChrisB

• SRGC Subscription Secretary
« Reply #227 on: September 25, 2007, 08:08:57 PM »
Yes, Maggi, you are quite correct.  A quick check in the Plantfinder confirms it is Astrantia minor
Chris Boulby
Northumberland, England

SueG

« Reply #228 on: September 26, 2007, 10:30:15 AM »
Bob Brown (Cotswold Garden Flowers http://www.cgf.net/) does have astrantia minor sometimes but does not rate it highly at all, and says that it is variable in height so not all plants are quite as minor as others.
Sue
PS he's got a new web site and the featured plant on the front page is a 'ABROMEITIELLA RCB RA-P-27 ' well worth a look!!
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #229 on: September 26, 2007, 12:58:11 PM »
Thanks, Sue.  We've had Bob Brown visit here, actually, some years ago... brought me a Stokesia laevis !
The Astrantia minor, as we grew it, was a delightful little thing. Kept neat and short and flowered well..... must have been a ggod clone, so now I am even more annoyed to have allowed it to die out. >:(

By the way, Sue, I have got a super ID for you, if you'd like it:

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #230 on: September 26, 2007, 02:23:15 PM »
Although I won't be able to get to Hythe in October (see other thread), I will be driving to Chipping Campden, which is pretty near Cotswold Garden Flowers  :) :) And Hidcote (Kiftsgate closed in October :()!

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

SueG

« Reply #231 on: September 26, 2007, 03:03:02 PM »

By the way, Sue, I have got a super ID for you, if you'd like it:
(Attachment Link)
Thanks Maggie will take this up - twinkling jewels - perfect!

Although I won't be able to get to Hythe in October (see other thread), I will be driving to Chipping Campden, which is pretty near Cotswold Garden Flowers  :) :) And Hidcote (Kiftsgate closed in October :()!

Chloë

Hi Chloë
I'd make sure you have PLENTY of money and space with you as he sells some superb plants. I'm hoping to arrange a visit to the nursery next autumn for my local NCCPG group as part of a weekend trip just because I want to go again.  ;D I used to live close enough to get to the nursery once or twice a year (I couldn't afford to go more often) and went with another gardening friend who had a volvo estate so we could fit lots of plants in!

Sue
Sue Gill, Northumberland, UK

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #232 on: September 26, 2007, 11:09:55 PM »
I think Mr Brown is the ultimate optimist. He lists irises (an an example) which he has ordered but hasn't actually aquired yet. His pic of Iris cuniculiformis is wrong. Probably his plant is wrong. The original ACE collection as cuniculiformis was actually I. bulleyana.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #233 on: September 28, 2007, 05:49:35 PM »
Let me introduce myself. I'm what's been keeping Martin so busy that he couldn't find time to post any photos (or get out in the garden!) all spring and summer...well, me and two other books he was working on at the same time.

But he's especially pleased with me, as I'm his first book for children and I've just arrived from the printers, so he thought he'd show me off. The others are a book that he still hasn't finished (so he's not too pleased about that one!) and a jokey gift-book about stress (which he says he got the idea for after working so hard on me and the one he hasn't finished yet!) He's a bit of a show-off, so I expect he'll be showing you the Stress book next (it doesn't arrive from the printers 'till next week).

Ow! He didn't like that bit about being a show-off! He's bending the corners of my pages!! Ow! Get off! That hurts!!!

Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #234 on: September 29, 2007, 10:52:54 AM »
Oh, my word! Her brain is wobbling .... (there are a few of us here, rather older, who feel the same thing!).....like her baby teeth wobble before they come out ! I love it! Not much wonder her Mum looks worried. What's her name, Martin?

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #235 on: September 29, 2007, 11:04:29 AM »
Maggi, the little girl's called Millie and she's to be the main character (with her brother, mum, dad, grandad and gran) in a series of books (if this first one sells!) There's a brief synopsis of the storyline if you click the cover picture on the amazon website, but basically Millie's got the idea that she has a little baby brain, which is why she struggles with her maths homework; so she's expecting it to fall out like a wobbly baby tooth, then her big-girl brain can grow in and she'll manage her homework easy-peasy, plus the brain fairy will come and take her baby brain away and leave a load of dosh under her pillow ('cos after all, she has lots of baby teeth but only one baby brain, so it must be worth more!)
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #236 on: September 29, 2007, 11:14:43 AM »
Lesley, Bob lectures are, well the one I saw/heard, very gloomy and negative. "Too Many Plants ..." was dont buy this dont buy that. Some of the oldies didnt like his jokes
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
« Reply #237 on: September 29, 2007, 12:40:41 PM »
Bob was a teacher Mark. ;)
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #238 on: September 29, 2007, 10:50:45 PM »
Thanks Mark. I knew my own opinion was always the best one ;D
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Casalima

• Not lost in translation
« Reply #239 on: September 29, 2007, 10:58:59 PM »
"When will my baby brain fall out" - love it!! My children have ordered me to get it when I am in England!!

Chloë
Chloe, Ponte de Lima, North Portugal, zone 9+

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal