We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Sternbergia 2008  (Read 41103 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Sternbergia 2008
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2008, 07:50:22 PM »
Gerry my plant spent the Summer underneath the greenhouse staging where it was dry but I don't think any part of the Summer ranked as hot! Maybe next year I shall try and sneak it into the airing cupboard.
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

Gerry Webster

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2008, 09:07:28 PM »
David - During the Summer I keep potted Sternbergias  in full sun, plunged in sand  in a S. facing lean-to frame. No water at all. When I first tried this (in despair) I thought it would be certain death but they love it & flower like mad.
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.
His was a long life - lived well.

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2008, 09:16:03 PM »
I agree with Gerry when he says that Sternbergia require hot dry conditions in the summer - and yes, hotter than you might think sensible.  Unlike Cyclamen graecum, where we were told to bake them to get good flowering - only to find they do need damp at the roots that should continue to grow - Sternbergias can be baked as the roots do not continue to grow.

Every one of my pots has flowered.   :)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2008, 10:47:20 AM by art600 »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

art600

« Reply #78 on: September 21, 2008, 10:57:02 AM »
Not sure what happened here - possibly I bought some bulbs at a plant sale that were incorrectly labelled.

Certainly not Sternbergia, and it will be interesting to see if they are peshmenii or reginae-olgae.  I think it was a bargain even though not what I thought I had bought.   :) ;) :)
Arthur Nicholls

Gerry Webster

« Reply #79 on: September 21, 2008, 05:20:35 PM »
Well Art, at least you got something  worth having. A few weeks ago I bought a packet of  Sternbergia lutea in a garden centre with the intention of trying them in the open garden. The leaves have just emerged & they are obviously & thoroughly virused. Beware garden centre Sternbergias!
Gerry passed away  at home  on 25th February 2021 - his posts are  left  in the  forum in memory of him.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #80 on: September 21, 2008, 08:44:44 PM »
Today Sternbergia lutea pleased me during 1hour of sunshine.
Best wishes
Armin

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #81 on: September 21, 2008, 09:14:18 PM »
Wonderful Armin !!  And growing outside too !!  Beautiful !
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Gerry Webster

« Reply #82 on: September 21, 2008, 09:19:31 PM »
Armin - really nice Sternbergias - and you take much better photographs of them than I can manage.

Armin

• Prized above rubies
  • Confessing Croconut
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2008, 09:37:45 PM »
Thanks Gerry and Luc,

I started last year to replace my old loamy soil with a sand/compost mix.

When I lifted some weeks ago some of the bulb baskets in order to label them I recognized a much better growths rate compared to previous loamy situation. It seems the efforts paying off!
I Keep my fingers crossed.
Best wishes
Armin

Paul T

• Our man in Canberra
  • Paul T.
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2008, 11:56:00 AM »
Gerry,

A lot of treatments while dormant can create symptoms the first year that look like virus, but I don't know whether this is the case with Sternbergia.  I know that heat treatment of daffodil bulbs often gives distorted growth the first year, which is fine the following year once the plant has settled.  Given that you plants are so obviously ill, I'm wondering whether their treatment by the bulb companies may be the reason, rather than virus?  The first season is always a difficult one to be sure IS virus.  I am very aware of virus, and have destroyed plants where the symptoms have persisted, but sometimes the anomolies of the first year are never repeated.
Cheers.

Paul T.
Canberra, Australia.
Min winter temp -8 or -9°C. Max summer temp 40°C. Thankfully, maybe once or twice a year only.

Gerry Webster

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2008, 05:26:14 PM »
Thanks for the info Paul. I think I'll keep them segregated for a year & see what happens.

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #86 on: September 27, 2008, 02:29:13 PM »
Now today we have a sunny day and it is possibly to make pics.
Here is first St. lutea - plant in year 1998 - since this time is grows well ( without any protection free in my border ) -never any sign of virus .....
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

art600

« Reply #87 on: September 27, 2008, 02:31:58 PM »
Hans

A very nice healthy clump.  :) ;D :)
Arthur Nicholls

Luc Gilgemyn

• VRV President & Channel Hopper
« Reply #88 on: September 27, 2008, 02:43:57 PM »
I second Art, Hans, beautiful group !  Do they flower so profusely each year, even after a lousy Summer like this year's ??
Luc Gilgemyn
Harelbeke - Belgium

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #89 on: September 27, 2008, 02:44:32 PM »
Here is a

St. lutea

it is from a wild source
that is a interesting plant for me because my other clump of S.lutea has never produced andy fruits in 10 year .....
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal