We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 226448 times)

Anthony Darby

• Bug Buff & Punster
Re: wildlife
« Reply #465 on: August 11, 2015, 07:28:32 AM »
Several holidays at Bigbury, but before I remember.
Anthony Darby, Auckland, New Zealand.
"Nothing in biology makes sense except in the light of evolution"
http://www.dunblanecathedral.org.uk/Choir/The-Choir.html

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #466 on: August 13, 2015, 02:53:19 PM »
We've had a LOT of rain lately and we're sick to death of it.

Describes our summer pretty well :P

One consequence has been the lack of butterflies here this year.  Orange tips and holly blues were scarce earlier in the year.  I've seen only one silver-washed fritillary in the garden whereas most years they are common visitors, and now in late summer when buddleias are in full flower vanessa butterflies are almost absent.

By contrast hummingbird hawkmoths appeared as usual, patrolling Echium pininana, sage and valerian. 
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Roma

« Reply #467 on: August 14, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
Not obviously wildlife

Rose Gall
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #468 on: August 14, 2015, 03:07:00 PM »
Hello Roma, it looks like a robins pincushion, caused by the gall wasp, Diplolepis rosae.

arillady

« Reply #469 on: August 15, 2015, 09:54:55 AM »
 A little gecko seen yesterday.
Pat Toolan,
Keyneton,
South Australia

Roma

« Reply #470 on: August 15, 2015, 11:05:55 AM »
Hello Roma, it looks like a robins pincushion, caused by the gall wasp, Diplolepis rosae.
Thanks, Chris.  There were quite a lot of them on the rose bush, some quite tiny on the leaves but this was a really big one.

brianw

« Reply #471 on: August 17, 2015, 09:36:55 PM »
A very frustrated Parakeet trying to get at the sunflower seeds.
498563-0
We got fed up with them taking large quantities of the food. Similarly the Squirrels. Unfortunately the Woodpeckers will presumably also be prevented, but we have another spring loaded anti-squirrel feeder nearby which they can use.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #472 on: August 23, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »
Hi Brian do you have a lot of the parakeets where you are? I remember been at a cyclamen show at wisley one year and the were some on some nearby trees, they was plenty of screeching going on.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Roma

« Reply #473 on: August 23, 2015, 02:09:50 PM »
A good butterfly day today (quality not quantity).  A Speckled Wood on Calluna vulgaris and a male Common Blue on Lotus peduncularis/ uliginosus.  I didn't have my camera but may go back now.  I might find the Speckled Wood again but the field where I saw the Common Blue hasn't been grazed since the spring and is about an acre of rushes and lotus with the paths all overgrown. I still have to get to the far end with a barrow to collect ragwort :-\ It is only in recent years I have occasionally seen a Speckled Wood butterfly  but the Blue used to be very common.  I only see one once every few years now. 

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #474 on: August 23, 2015, 10:33:44 PM »
Warm, sunny conditions :o here too today brought several butterflies to the garden: speckled woods, green-veined whites, a holly blue & this slightly worn female silver-washed fritillary (Argynnis paphia) which is the largest butterfly we have in Ireland. 

Normally these are all common species in this area but have been very scarce this year.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

ian mcdonald

« Reply #475 on: August 24, 2015, 12:33:58 PM »
Hello Ashley, it was a slow start with butterflies here as well. The cold spring seemed to hold them back. The last few weeks have seen many peacocks, gatekeepers, common blues and meadow browns. The large heaths seem to have gone over now though. No commas in the garden yet. They usually arrive when the michelmas daisies are in flower.

brianw

« Reply #476 on: August 24, 2015, 01:04:19 PM »
Hi Brian do you have a lot of the parakeets where you are? I remember been at a cyclamen show at wisley one year and the were some on some nearby trees, they was plenty of screeching going on.
Most days we see 2's or 3's sometimes a flock of 6 or 8, but seems a bit seasonal, like most birds, and few around at the moment.
This particular "squirrel guard" was not designed to have such a large feeder in and I cut and bent 2 wires at the top just enough to drop it in. So what happened a couple of days ago?
499243-0
It shot straight out the top and up the single fencing wire ~6' hanger, as soon as I went out of the door. Amazingly small space. Now rebent so the gap is no larger than any of the side openings.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #477 on: August 24, 2015, 07:35:53 PM »
Back to the brawing board then Brian ;D
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

brianw

« Reply #478 on: August 24, 2015, 10:56:57 PM »
It was on the feeder the next morning when I drew the curtains. Can't lip read squirrel yet but I am sure I saw it say "I could get through there yesterday, why can't I now?" Just hoping for the best now.
Some small birds still try unsuccessfully to get through the bottom tapered holes as they are nearest the bottom feeding holes. A cylinder shape cage would be better at the bottom, but most birds happily go through higher up and drop down.

ian mcdonald

« Reply #479 on: August 25, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
I suppose that deer stalkers and their "clients" consider that getting close to a deer in order to murder it with a gun, is skill. I decided to look at a corrie to see what plants were there. The rock is quartzite and I did not expect much in the way of "alpines" but you never know. Parking the car I followed the track to the summit for a short way before turning off for the corrie and the scree slopes. I was walking slowly looking at the ground for small plants, stopping to identify them and take the occasional drink. It was a hot day. I had been there for quite some time when I thought I saw something move out of the corner of my right eye. Turning, I stopped dead in my tracks. Not more than twenty paces away there was a red deer stag, walking at the same pace but on slightly higher ground. He stopped and looked down his nose at me, with a superior expression, I thought. What to do? I could not out-run him. From my position he looked like a well built horse, with antlers. We stared at each other for a time, then I thought, should I try to take a photo. The camera was around my neck. What would his re-action be? Would he run off, or charge. I said, can I take your picture, no reply. I slowly raised the camera and took a picture. He just stared at me. I remembered my reason for being there and moved off again. So did he. After a while I stopped. So did he. What was going on? This happened several more times. Then a thought like a lightening bolt struck me. He was parallel walking, just like two stags in the rutting season. This was his corrie and I was the intruder. How long had he been with me? He must have seen me a long way off. Perhaps he had been resting during the heat and had been sat down, only rising as I approached. He must not have seen me as a threat. I studied his size. If I had got down on all fours I would have been about a third his size. We were approaching a large sloping outcrop. He walked to the right of it and I was heading for the centre. If I carried on I would have come out above him. I did not want to suddenly appear above him so I went to the left, following a stream and botanising. I did not see him again but think he probably watched me until I had moved a good distance away and back to the car. Skill? no. Luck, probably. Magical? You bet.  The King of the castle.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal