We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: wildlife  (Read 237137 times)

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
Re: wildlife
« Reply #870 on: December 11, 2016, 09:07:26 PM »
Lovely pictures this morning on Facebook of Rafa's gorgeous bloodhound (Alcea? Anthea?) who made her first puppy appearances here a few years ago. She's a BIG lady now, off with family and friends on a daffodil hunt.
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #871 on: December 11, 2016, 10:20:51 PM »
Nothing wild about Althea - she's a big softie!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

David Lyttle

• Mountain Goat
« Reply #872 on: December 22, 2016, 05:48:03 AM »
South Island Robin (Petroica australis) male and female in southern beech forest near the Mararoa River. These birds are very tame which means they are easy prey to introduced predators (stoats, rats etc). However there were a lot of them present in this patch of forest.
David Lyttle
Otago Peninsula, Dunedin, South Island ,
New Zealand.

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #873 on: December 25, 2016, 06:40:55 AM »
Happy Christmas!
This morning I saw a different sort of hover-fly attracted to the Gilia capitata flower which I couldn't identify
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #874 on: December 25, 2016, 06:43:46 AM »
Some more pics of the hover-fly and the Gilia capitata
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #875 on: December 28, 2016, 11:18:09 PM »
A mass kill of marine life has been ongoing since Boxing Day in southwestern Nova Scotia.  No cause has been determined and it appears similar to what's happened in Cornwall and on the east coast of the USA recently.  A big cross-section of marine species and no land or aerial predators are touching the carcasses.  Very puzzling.  The public as you might expect is jumping to conclusions.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova-scotia/fish-kill-off-st-mary-s-bay-lobster-clams-crabs-beach-1.3913265

Has the Cornish event been explained yet?

john
John in coastal Nova Scotia

Roma

« Reply #876 on: December 29, 2016, 12:09:27 PM »
Followed this link, was attracted by another headline and found myself going through all 161 pictures of crazy lobsters ;D.  I am curious about so many things and there is so much information out there, I could sit here all day. 
Roma Fiddes, near Aberdeen in north East Scotland.

GordonT

« Reply #877 on: December 29, 2016, 12:24:29 PM »
John,  I have been following this story, and am dismayed by all the crazy conclusions people make. Given the silence of the Department of Fisheries and Oceans, I figure they still haven't found the cause. What I wonder is if that magnitude 3 earthquake that shook Weymouth NS earlier in the month might have liberated sub sediment methane. It would lead to temporary anoxia- and cause multi species die-off. That would seem to me to be a more probable cause than the experimental turbine placed hundreds of miles away in the Minas Channel
Southwestern Nova Scotia,
Zone 6B or above , depending on the year.

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #878 on: December 29, 2016, 02:35:45 PM »
The news gets worse, apparently seals and a young humpback whale* have washed ashore overnight.

Gordon, I have to agree with you that it had to be something toxic from a vent or an imbedded pocket.  I initailly thought a heat vent from the quake but the gulls would immediately be out in full force to feed. The new test tidal turbine seems to be a popular scapegoat but there's no sign of physical damage to the bodiesand no predators.

Have you heard of any similar events in NS outside St. Mary's Bay?

ps 30 Dec. 2016  - no mention of seals in subsequent reports, the whale death is apparently unrelated to the problem according to the Dept. of Fisheries.

john
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 06:32:06 PM by johnw »
John in coastal Nova Scotia

brianw

« Reply #879 on: January 10, 2017, 12:10:24 PM »
I noticed our local Lidl had nest boxes with built-in cameras in stock again yesterday. ~£30 from memory. Plug into laptop or TV types. The former are powered using the usb lead; don't know about TV type.
Not the highest quality videos but entertaining all the same last spring. Check the camera alignment before installing; mine was a bit off centre when bought.
Nothing using it as a winter roost so far this season; it's been up for a month or so after cleaning.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #880 on: January 22, 2017, 06:54:37 PM »
Apparently a small flock of Waxwings at a site between Newton Abbot and Bovey Tracey has got local Twitchers in a state of euphoria
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

brianw

« Reply #881 on: January 23, 2017, 01:49:28 PM »
The last of the Red Sentinal crab apples are feeding up to 9 blackbirds at a time over the last few days. A few Redwings on odd days too. Mostly they feed on the bird feeder sunflower seed spillage though. Noticed several RS crab apple trees in the January sales here. Bought another together with 2 Sorbus trees. Maybe I will eventually tempt some waxwings to visit.

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #882 on: January 31, 2017, 05:27:16 PM »
A friend just rang to ask if I knew what might have buried a whole rabbit in her garden. She doesn't have a dog. It was buried just beneath the surface. The only thing I can think of are a neighbour's dog or a fox. Might anything else be responsible?
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #883 on: January 31, 2017, 06:46:49 PM »
Most likely to be a fox. They will kill more than they need if they have the opportunity to be cached for lean times.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

brianw

« Reply #884 on: January 31, 2017, 08:56:46 PM »
A fox buried a squirrel in my sand bed, leaving the tail sticky out. I pulled it out and transferred it to the lawn, but it still came and checked for it a couple of days later. There clear anything I leave out over night.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal