We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere  (Read 14261 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: September 2014 in the Southern Hemisphere
« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2014, 09:50:31 AM »
I should have said I posted my first post by myself, with out help from someone else.
And very well you did,  too!

I do like Cyp. goeringii - such a pretty thiing.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Jupiter

• Summers too hot, too dry and too long.
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2014, 10:43:45 AM »
Thanks Otto for the post. You don't know how many times I've wished I could wander around your garden in person... you, me, and my camera of course! Perhaps one spring in the not too distant future as we've often talked about a garden/nursery tour of Victoria for a family holiday. :)

I got home from work early today, grabbed my camera and took advantage of the lovely sunshine washing over the garden.

Epimedium 'hotlips' (thanks Otto, I love it)

Sempervivum arachnoideum

Phlox subulata f. tamanonagalei tamaongalei

Pelargonium x ardens

Isoplexis canariensis

« Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 08:42:58 PM by Jupiter »
Jamus Stonor, in the hills behind Adelaide, South Australia.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jstonor/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2014, 11:03:52 AM »
Otto, what a super plant  your Epacris reclinata is.

Jamus, your photos are a delight - love the Phlox subulata f. tamanonagalei which I don'tthink I've seen before.

Jupiter

« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2014, 11:15:32 AM »

Maggi we have some Epacris species in the bush over here too and it's always been a favourite of mine. I just love to colour! I need to find time to do some bush walks this spring and take photographs for Northern Hemisphere members who might be interested. There's a national park not too far from us here called Cox's scrub, a pretty uninspiring name for a stunningly bio-diverse spot.

Jupiter

« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2014, 11:20:03 AM »

I picked the little phlox up from a nursery here run by Ian Powell, who is a proper plantsman and former curator of the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, my favourite place ever.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2014, 01:31:25 PM »
Maggi we have some Epacris species in the bush over here too and it's always been a favourite of mine. I just love to colour! I need to find time to do some bush walks this spring and take photographs for Northern Hemisphere members who might be interested.

Yes please Jamus. 
Epacris are wonderful plants, as Otto's photo shows, but unfortunately with me they survive rather than thrive so I'd love to understand their needs better.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2014, 01:56:27 PM »
Interesting to hear your experiences with Epacris in Cork, Ashley.   There used to be a couple of plants I saw in the area here, along with some South African "heathers" but the  last cold winter  (was that 2010-2011?) killed them off.  I've never had any to try in this garden - tho' I expect they'd not care for it.  :(

fermi de Sousa

• Far flung friendly fyzzio
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2014, 02:09:01 PM »
I picked the little phlox up from a nursery here run by Ian Powell, who is a proper plantsman and former curator of the Mount Lofty Botanic Gardens, my favourite place ever.
Phlox subulata 'Tamaongalei' was a selection from the Gillanders at Woodbank Nursery in Tasmania.
Sadly it seems to be known as 'Candystripe' in the US :-X
cheers
fermi
Mr Fermi de Sousa, Redesdale,
Victoria, Australia

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2014, 02:28:32 PM »
Ah, a Gillanders selection - that would explain a good deal - those folks know good plants when they see them!
I'm surprised at the comment that the same selection is known as 'Candystripe' in the US - the plants I have seen if that name are not nearly so pretty as Phlox subulata 'Tamaongalei' - which is a little corker.

ashley

• Pops in from Cork
« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2014, 02:34:17 PM »
Interesting to hear your experiences with Epacris in Cork, Ashley.   There used to be a couple of plants I saw in the area here, along with some South African "heathers" but the  last cold winter  (was that 2010-2011?) killed them off.  I've never had any to try in this garden - tho' I expect they'd not care for it.  :(

Mine were planted after those harsh winters Maggi and given sharp drainage. 
Since then they've come through a few degrees of frost but grown a bit leggy (pruning needed) and never flowered.  The conditions must not be to their liking.
Ashley Allshire, Cork, Ireland

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2014, 04:16:56 PM »
Ah, a Gillanders selection - that would explain a good deal - those folks know good plants when they see them!
I'm surprised at the comment that the same selection is known as 'Candystripe' in the US - the plants I have seen if that name are not nearly so pretty as Phlox subulata 'Tamaongalei' - which is a little corker.

I agree with Maggi!

I have "Candystripe" here in the garden. 'Tamaongalei' caught my attention too! Such a beautiful little plant. I wish my 'Candystripe' did look like 'Tamaongalei'. It looks kind'a the same.

Maggi we have some Epacris species in the bush over here too and it's always been a favourite of mine. I just love to colour! I need to find time to do some bush walks this spring and take photographs for Northern Hemisphere members who might be interested. There's a national park not too far from us here called Cox's scrub, a pretty uninspiring name for a stunningly bio-diverse spot.

Jamus,

I would love to see photos of your native plants. I hope that you can find the time to do so, however I do understand how it can be easier said than done. We have many other responsibilities.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Jupiter

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2014, 08:12:36 PM »

Fermi thanks for the history and the correction to the name. I hate how sloppy nurseries are with names and they're always corrupting them.

Robert I'll do my best to do some walks. It's a fantastic spring here and I expect the wildflower display will be exceptional. Any particular family or genus of interest I can seek out for you?

Robert

• All text and photos © Robert Barnard
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2014, 02:43:19 AM »
Fermi thanks for the history and the correction to the name. I hate how sloppy nurseries are with names and they're always corrupting them.

Robert I'll do my best to do some walks. It's a fantastic spring here and I expect the wildflower display will be exceptional. Any particular family or genus of interest I can seek out for you?

Jamus,

Any particular family or genus?  First, thank you for asking! I enjoy bulbs and wild, not commonly used annuals and smaller perennials (i.e. generally under 1 meter), however, in general, I'm sure that a look at the landscape and your native plants would be interesting both to me and others. I'm very curious and I hope to see some photos of springtime in your area and your thoughts on how it all plays out.
Robert Barnard
Sacramento & Placerville, Northern California, U.S.A.
All text and photos © Robert Barnard

If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him stepto the music which he hears, however measured or far away.
- Henry David Thoreau

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
Event in the Southern Hemisphere !
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2014, 10:04:03 AM »
I picked this info up from a 'tweet'  by Brett Summerell :

"It's waratah time at the gardens at Mt Tomah - the waratah festival is on this weekend and till Sunday September 28"

The Blue Mountains Botanic Garden, MountTomah
Photos from Brett's Twitter page

http://www.mounttomahbotanicgarden.com.au/

Bells Line of Road via Bilpin New South Wales 2758, Australia
Phone: (02) 4567 3000 

I know we are fortunate to have several forumists/members connected with this super Botanic Garden.  :)

Jupiter

« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2014, 10:26:30 AM »

Oh just look at those gaudy Eastern states natives! How flamboyant they are, not like our refined, elegant Southern natives...  :P  Only kidding of course, they are wonderful plants, but nothing quite so showy in these parts.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal