We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Narcissus seed sowing  (Read 3797 times)

Jack Meatcher

Narcissus seed sowing
« on: November 15, 2014, 03:57:01 PM »
For information, last December I used an Ian Young technique for sowing Narcissus seed. I'd rec'd some N. cavanillesii seed which I sowed at about 5cm depth and in a hole made by poking my finger in the compost. I poured all the seed in together, covered it up and watered it in. I looks like I got 100% germination and the things have grown like weeds. I've never before had Exchange Narcissus seed germinate within the year after sowing.
Interestingly, Bob Wallis told me that Narcissus (and other bulbs) like to be packed closely together when I said I thought I was "over-potting" my bulbs, ie., using too large a pot. They certainly don't seem to suffer from the situation that Quinces do - one strong seedling survives and kills off all adjacent seedlings.
Just a bit of feedback for thought.

Oh, I'm still new to this alpines lark so forgive me if I've stated the well known and obvious.

Jack Meatcher
The Learner

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Narcissus seed sowing
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014, 05:45:19 PM »
Many bulbs do seem to "enjoy the company" of others - and because of this Ian often uses "surrogate" bulbs - segments of polysytrene packing, the "s" shaped foam nuggets, to pack round  bulbs if he only has a very few of one kind to live in a pot. He also uses other kinds of bulbs to pad out a pot - for instance he might put little crocus bulbs in a narcissus pot to grow on. This creates a drier environment round the bulbs- it becomes better drained and drier- preventing any wet rots .
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Lesley Cox

• way down south !
  • Gardening forever, house work.....whenever!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 08:26:49 PM »
Like a bulb pot with a rogue grass seedling left to flourish is well drained compared with one containing just the bulb(s). Just occasionally my neglect and bad culture pay dividends instead of punishing me. ???
Lesley Cox - near Dunedin, lower east coast, South Island of New Zealand - Zone 9

brianw

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2014, 07:42:14 PM »
I remember at an AGS meeting, many years ago, being told to sow iris seed by the finger poking method. The first seeds to germinate and root down provide the drainage for the rest to follow. I assume this is particularly relevant to bulbous subjects with nice coarse annual roots, as separation at a later stage will be easy.
Edge of Chiltern hills, 25 miles west of London, England

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2014, 07:49:07 PM »
The late and sadly missed Jack Brownless was a great exponent of the fingerhole method of planting  :)

brianw

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2014, 09:35:03 PM »
This reminds me of the advice to root cuttings round the edge of a pot, because of the better drainage. The better drainage is presumably because you have just poked a number of sticks down it. Porous pots have long ago disappeared; if they ever really existed. Maybe I just need to double or treble the amount of coarse grit in my seed compost to get the same effect, and then feed a little more. I doubt it is as simple as more air and water, but the effect it has on the chemistry happening with the initial germination.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2014, 06:38:09 PM »
Hi Brian I always plant my cuttings at the edge of the pot, they always root better than others further in, I always though it was due to it being warmer there.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

brianw

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2014, 09:56:43 PM »
Hi John. In plastic pots there will be bigger temperature swings with ambient changes round the outside of the pot. Maybe the stress induced by the swings induces rooting, or changes in water or air flow with the swings. We could try identical pots and cuttings with 1 pot insulated well and the other allowed to follow ambient swings. See if there appears to be a difference.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2014, 01:30:40 AM »
Like a bulb pot with a rogue grass seedling left to flourish is well drained compared with one containing just the bulb(s). Just occasionally my neglect and bad culture pay dividends instead of punishing me. ???

This is what I always do with bulbous plants.  I let a weed or a small plant like a Viola grow in the pot along with the bulbous plants.  It removes a lot of water from the mix, and tells you if the mix is too dry or lacks nutrients.  I call them indicator plants.  Bulbous plants in general do not tell you there is a problem until it is too late.  If the indicator plant gets too big and greedy, you can give it a haircut with scissors.  When the bulbous plants go dormant, I stop watering and let the indicator plant absorb moisture from the mix until it wilts and dies.  I get excellent survival of my dormant bulbs this way.  Without the indicator plant, the soil in a pot of dormant bulbs will remain quite moist for a long time, especially if you use a large deep pot, which I do because the bulbs develop so much faster in a large pot.  You have to be careful with lilies, because they don't like to go completely dry.  Another great advantage of an indicator plant is that its roots hold the soil mix together, so that you can dump the whole thing out and transplant it in one block.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2014, 06:09:30 AM »
Hi Brian I don't know much about temperature swings, but I was always taught to plant cuttings this way. You get the odd cutting failing but most succeed, we could try your idea see what happens and compare notes.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2014, 09:11:33 AM »
If there is only a bulb or two of clones of my seedling daffs, they are given 'pot buddies' - the pot is sectioned off with bits of plastic bottles so the bulbs are separated but the roots intermingle. Not suitable for showing, obviously, but it seems to work.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2014, 10:38:26 AM »
This is what I always do with bulbous plants.  I let a weed or a small plant like a Viola grow in the pot along with the bulbous plants.  It removes a lot of water from the mix, and tells you if the mix is too dry or lacks nutrients.  I call them indicator plants.  Bulbous plants in general do not tell you there is a problem until it is too late.  If the indicator plant gets too big and greedy, you can give it a haircut with scissors.  When the bulbous plants go dormant, I stop watering and let the indicator plant absorb moisture from the mix until it wilts and dies.  I get excellent survival of my dormant bulbs this way.  Without the indicator plant, the soil in a pot of dormant bulbs will remain quite moist for a long time, especially if you use a large deep pot, which I do because the bulbs develop so much faster in a large pot.  You have to be careful with lilies, because they don't like to go completely dry.  Another great advantage of an indicator plant is that its roots hold the soil mix together, so that you can dump the whole thing out and transplant it in one block.

Excellent advice

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2014, 04:46:53 PM »
I now know what to do with the exceedingly large number of Viola seedlings I've been fretting about! ;D
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

brianw

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2014, 10:09:31 PM »
I like the idea of plant buddies, for plants at a similar stage of growth, but "weeds" that germinate in seed pots that may be kept for several years can be a problem when they take over. Never thought about slipping a single bulb into the middle of a seed pot to simulate that initial germination. Yet another experiment waiting for someone.

Gene Mirro

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2014, 11:50:25 PM »
I like the idea of plant buddies, for plants at a similar stage of growth, but "weeds" that germinate in seed pots that may be kept for several years can be a problem when they take over. Never thought about slipping a single bulb into the middle of a seed pot to simulate that initial germination. Yet another experiment waiting for someone.

If you are growing dryland bulbs, you will be drying them off every summer.  So the indicator plant or weed has a one-year maximum life expectancy.  If you trim it regularly with scissors, it won't get very big anyway.  It's a little extra work, but it's great to have a pot full of healthy bulbs instead of a few empty husks.
Gene Mirro from the magnificent state of Washington

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal