We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Scilla peruviana planting depth?  (Read 1297 times)

kGarden

• kGarden Blog
Scilla peruviana planting depth?
« on: December 03, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »
I have some Scilla peruviana to plant and sites are divided on planting either "tend to grow naturally just above the soil so when planting, leave the tip showing" and "Plant 4" / 10cm deep"

These will be planted out. not in containers.  Heavy clay here, so I plan to plant with plenty of drainage material. I would appreciate your advice on both depth and any suggestions on for soil improvement etc.
Started collecting snowdrops Spring 2013. Suffolk, UK.

Karaba

• My 2015-2016 seed list (in french)
Re: Scilla peruviana planting depth?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2014, 07:44:51 AM »
Depth depends on what you look : tip at ground level, base at 10 cm deep  ;D You can plant a little deeper with the tip at 10 cm deep, I never see much difference but I've never actually it in heavy clay...Usually and finally, bulbs "choose" they deepth and they often give more bulbils when they are not deep.
Scilla peruviana is quite hardy but need to rest at dry during summer. They should be plant early since they do leaves in autumn.
Yvain Dubois - Isère, France (Zone 7b)  _ south east Lyon

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal