We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Gardens visited during 2008  (Read 47775 times)

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
Re: Snowdrop Gardens visited during 2008
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2008, 04:40:48 PM »
I got there about 15 minutes after opening and the scrum in the sales tents was just dieing down (so I missed all the goodies).  I'm told it had been pretty rough in there.  I did spot a forum member carrying three or four plastic bags who said he had quite inadvertently managed to be first in line.
Almost in Scotland.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2008, 05:43:24 PM »
I am sure you have most of them Mark ;), but just for you: Wol was selling

alleni, Anglesey Abbey, Armine, Ballerina, Bertram Anderson, David Baker, Bill Bishop, Blewbury Tart (also available behind the bike sheds, thanks John! ;D), Blond Inge, Bungee, Byzantinus ex Warham, Comet, Curly, Daphne’s Scissors, Diggory, Ding Dong, Erway, Fenstead End, Fieldgate Superb, Forge Double, G71, Galatea, Gerard Parker, Greenish, Green Necklace, Grumpy, Heffalump, Hill Poe, Imbolc, John Gray, Jessica, Kite, Lapwing, Little Ben, Maidwell L, Mighty Atom, Modern Art, Mrs Thomson, Percy Picton, Pride o’ the Mill, Primrose Warburg, Rodmarton, Sentinel, Sibbertoft Magnet, Sibbertoft Manor, Sibbertoft White, St Annes, Three Ships, Washfield Colesbourne, Wendy’s Gold, White Swan.

The largest number available of any of them was 5  :-\ as they were listed as just Sue’s spares, however I am pleased to say that there were some more available from round the back  ;Dwhich were perhaps a little past their best...until next year!

Rod Leeds had a fair selection as did Joe Sharman.  The sales tables were busy and there were a lot of satisfied customers.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 05:45:00 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2008, 05:45:56 PM »
fingers crossed for next year. I have many of those but I always buy extras to keep single bulbs happy with a friend
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2008, 06:30:05 PM »
You may have to cross more than fingers for next year Mark, this was reputedly a one off.  Private visits only presumably in the future.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2008, 06:55:39 PM »
And here,  from the photographer and driver of the house, some pictures that overcome the sun etc which my point and shoot didn't!  Thank you David ;)
First some that fits Wols premise:
"It pays, as we did, to serve your apprenticeship growing the established varieties that have proved garden worthy over time"
Tried and trusted Maidwell L and good old Comet, for the lovers of yellow snowdrops Primrose Warburg is probably a must have.

To relieve the whiteness  ;D Katherine Hodgkin, she is a stunner isn't she?

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2008, 07:10:14 PM »
As we had Penelope Ann in the car with us here is a nice clump showing her off!
Marjorie Brown which has a blue cast to its leaves, Little Ben which makes a lovely clump of large flowers on short scapes (so I had to have one  ::) ), Jonathan - quite similar to Grumpy, John Tomlinson which has olive-green markings, Jessica which is one of the finest green tipped elwesii, Bill Bishop - another large flowered 'drop which, when fully open is very elegant, Bertram Anderson and finally Ballerina.  That's the lot you may all breathe a sigh of relief Maggi  :-*

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2008, 07:30:05 PM »
Brian, I noticed you spelt Marjorie in Marjorie Brown the conventional way. In the visit I made to East Lambrook yesterday it was spelt differently (see picture below) which I took from the plant label. I had assumed it was just an unconventional spelling of the name. Mind you people in Devon have never rated the educational achievements of the Somerset people ;D

« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:32:15 PM by David Nicholson »
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2008, 07:47:09 PM »
Brian, David (your driver) certainly takes a good photo - you can see straight away that it is not a point and shoot like mine.  Really nice.

John
« Last Edit: February 07, 2008, 07:49:23 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2008, 08:50:31 PM »
I'm enjoying all these photos, just sorry camouflaged Ian got all the cake :-\
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2008, 09:49:58 PM »
Brian,

You have an exceptional  memory or must have taken notes while there. Otherwise, I cannot imagine how you could recall such a list of plants for sale - or was there a list available? And thank you, and John, for the photographs; great clumps and drifts of snowdrops really show off the plants at their very best; such a contrast to the miserly clumps (term used loosely) in the photographs at East Lambrook.

I spoke to Wol Staines this morning and he was delighted with the day though still in shell shock and exhausted as they had not expected such a large number of people to visit. They also,  obviously after talking to SRGC members, commented that it was a group of knowlegable enthusiasts - who else would come to visit a garden in the winter? - and that it had been a true pleasure to speak to so many people who were obviously keen gardeners and plantspeople.

The garden is opening for another day shortly.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2008, 10:16:59 PM »
Brian, I noticed you spelt Marjorie in Marjorie Brown the conventional way. In the visit I made to East Lambrook yesterday it was spelt differently (see picture below) which I took from the plant label.

David I merely did the same as you and copied the label, however Sue's label agrees with the Snowdrop Book which Rob is obviously going to buy (see thread elsewhere!)

Paddy, Of course it was my exceptional memory enabling me to copy it off the list that Wol gave us whilst we waited (patiently) until 1.30 - to the minute- when we were allowed in.  It's good to hear it is opening again shortly - is this still in Snowdrop season?  I hope you enjoyed the clump of Pride o'the Mill, it is certainly a very good snowdrop.

Brian

Brian

tonyg

• Chief Croconut
  • Never Stop Looking
    • Crocus Pages
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2008, 10:29:19 PM »
As we had Penelope Ann in the car with us here is a nice clump showing her off!
Brian - I think I know who you are talking about but don't let ANYONE dare call her Penelope in public :o

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2008, 10:46:02 PM »
I just looked up the weather forecast for the weekend. Double figures every day = snowdrops open, yes!

Is anyone going to the Est Lambrook day?
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2008, 11:10:14 PM »
Brian,

To be honest, I didn't take great note of when the garden was opening again just that it was in the near future.

'Pride o' the Mill' certainly makes a good clump/looks very well in a clump.

Waiting to hear what you bought! Yes, very nosey. You too John.

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2008, 09:47:50 AM »
Brian - I think I know who you are talking about
  I don't think we'd dare Tony, perhaps we should try it at the next meeting and then duck! ;D

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal