We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Snowdrop Gardens visited during 2008  (Read 47774 times)

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
Re: Snowdrop Gardens visited during 2008
« Reply #75 on: February 10, 2008, 12:11:34 PM »
Don't stop, whatever you do!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
  • Every day's a school day
« Reply #76 on: February 10, 2008, 12:12:22 PM »
And now (at long last I hear you groan) pictures of the special snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey:

(a couple of shots showing the 'gulley' with gently sloping sides where the specials are growing)

43490-0

43492-1

('Augustus')

43494-2

43496-3

(Bloomer)

43498-4

(Anglesey Abbey - the more desireable Proculiform type)

43500-5

(Henrys White Lady)

43502-6

(Rodmarton?)

43504-7

(My favourite of the day - 'Kirtlington Tower' - has anyone seen this for sale anywhere?  Please PM if you have)

EDIT:
(My favourite of the day - 'Kirtling Tower' - has anyone seen this for sale anywhere?  Please PM if you have)

43506-8

(Magnet)

43508-9

Hope you enjoyed my account of our trip to Anglesey Abbey - please let me know if you want me to post about the day we spent yesterday in Hampshire?....

John
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 03:44:18 PM by KentGardener »
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

Paddy Tobin

« Reply #77 on: February 10, 2008, 12:17:28 PM »
Keep going John,

Paddy
Paddy Tobin, Waterford, Ireland

https://anirishgardener.wordpress.com/

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #78 on: February 10, 2008, 12:19:00 PM »
John

What camera do you have?  I think I remember you saying it was a point and shoot - surely not with the quality of the wonderful shots - and we have not even reached Anglesey Abbey.

More please

Hi Arthur - it is just a FujiFilm FinePix S 5600.  I think it was about £130 last in late 2006 (or early 2007)

John
John

John passed away in 2017 - his posts remain here in tribute to his friendship and contribution to the forum.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #79 on: February 10, 2008, 12:38:28 PM »
The last few from Anglesey Abbey, I promise!.....

(KentGardener and Alan_B)

43518-0

(something for the non Galanthophiles among us)

43520-1

(Part of the newly created Woodland Walk  - give it 5 years and I think this alone would be worth a trip to Anglesey Abbey)

43522-2

The gardeners try to remove all the name labels from the snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey - so here are some that I am not 100% sure of the names:

43524-3

43526-4

43528-5

I think enough time has been spent sitting in front of this laptop - so now time for some gardening!...

John
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 12:42:55 PM by KentGardener »
John

art600

• Travels light, travels far
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2008, 12:53:08 PM »
The gardeners try to remove all the name labels from the snowdrops at Anglesey Abbey - so here are some that I am not 100% sure of the names:

Do not understand why they would do that.  One of the joys of Glen Chantry for non-galanthophiles was the use of discreet labels.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 10:40:25 AM by Maggi Young »
Arthur Nicholls

Anything bulbous    North Kent

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #81 on: February 10, 2008, 01:32:17 PM »
The without-a-label yellow is most likely Primrose Warburg, but could possibly be Spindlestone Surprise (although that's less frequently seen as a large clump as still rarer). The big flowers in the second pic looklike Gerard Parker. Dunno about the bottom one. I expect the rarer ones may have labels removed as an anti-theft thing.
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Martin Baxendale

• Quick on the Draw
  • faster than a speeding...... snowdrop
« Reply #82 on: February 10, 2008, 01:35:02 PM »
That clump of Augustus at Anglesey Abbey is an incredibly large and robust one, and apparently virus-free. I have a small clump of a virus-free stock from Ron Mackenzie but it's not as big and strong as that (although it's just started flowering after chipping so may get bigger - I should feed it).
Martin Baxendale, Gloucestershire, UK.

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #83 on: February 10, 2008, 03:35:46 PM »
Thanks John for your photographic trip to Anglesey Abbey, excellent photos and most enjoyable.  One point to note is that it is Kirtling Tower present home of Lord and Lady Fairhaven.  The snowdrop was found there by none-other than Richard Ayres (ex head gardener at Anglesey Abbey and now I believe a NT gardens consultant) who laid out the grounds for Lady Fairhaven.  When we went they had just discovered that there was a large population of Tulipa sylvestris there which had been mown down for years and never allowed to flower.  Also in clearing the moat they discovered many historic Daffodils.

Well John that was a real treat, what about Brandymount?? ;)
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:50:42 PM by Brian Ellis »
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #84 on: February 10, 2008, 03:47:55 PM »
One point to note is that it is Kirtling Tower present home of Lord and Lady Fairhaven.

Thanks Brian - edited to correct spelling.  Where can I get one?   ;D

Well John that was a real treat, what about Brandymount?? ;)

It took over 2 hours this morning to edit photos and write up the Cambridge trip.  I need to wait until Ian's back is turned before I can start on Brandy Mount.

cheers

John
John

Lvandelft

• Spy out IN the cold
  • Dutch Master
« Reply #85 on: February 10, 2008, 03:49:47 PM »
Beautiful and very interesting pictures John. These drifts with double Galanthus, never seen it here.
How you show Galanthus in the "Countryside" I like them really. (But no reason for me to become a Galanthophile.)

The tour starts by proceeding along the ‘woodland walk’, designed to have plants of winter interest and culminating in a fantastic grove of Birch trees (and yes, the gardeners do wash the trunks to keep them looking so good!) 

Seeing the woodland walk with birchtrees I had to think of when we were in Scotland,  someone (sorry Im not telling the name!) told us after my wife asked how a birchtree came to such a white bark, we were told it had just been washed before. My wife still not believes it!

Thank you John.
Luit van Delft, right in the heart of the beautiful flowerbulb district, Noordwijkerhout, Holland.

Sadly Luit died on 14th October 2016 - happily we can still enjoy his posts to the Forum

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #86 on: February 10, 2008, 06:42:55 PM »
We were fortunate enough to visit two gardens on Saturday, well one garden and one ex garden!  The second of the two was the one time home of Hayrick Greatorex who bred the famous Shakesperean Doubles.  He lived in a ramshackle wood and corrugated iron bungalow at the bottom of a 9 acre garden (owned by his wife’s family) and his sister in law sometimes lived in an old railway carriage there!  There is now just one acre of the garden left which had surrounded this bungalow and it is owned by Broadland District Council and cared for by local volounteers, prominent among whom is Richard Hobbs.

It was Richard who kindly took us to see the Greatorex ‘garden’, now left much to its own devices it is sensitively maintained as a woodland and in the summer is a patch of stinging nettles.  We travelled down a long lane and arrived at a locked gate. The only evidence of former habitation was a clay pipe about 18” high.  There was a small natural pond on this gently sloping site and the snowdrops had been very much left to their own devices, and had done what they do naturally, resulting in some interesting  crosses.   There was a small natural pond on this gently sloping site.  First some general shots.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 10:43:25 PM by Brian Ellis »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #87 on: February 10, 2008, 06:43:24 PM »
Wandering round we spotted all sorts of snowdrops, round the pond were many ikariae, there were also woronowii, nivalis and plicatus - but no elwesii and there are quite a few flowers which, like scharlockii have split spathes.  One or two looked like Greatorex doubles and there were a few which had double heads on rather thick scapes, we had a fascinating time wandering around and spotting crosses and variations.  I hope you enjoy these pictures.

For more information on Heyrick Greatorex you can read Richard’s article in the current Daffodils, snowdrops and tulips yearbook.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2008, 06:45:31 PM by Brian Ellis »

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2008, 06:47:35 PM »
...and some of the green tipped ones.  Thanks to David for the photography but most of all Richard for letting us go there.

KentGardener

• SRGC OOAgent
« Reply #89 on: February 10, 2008, 07:00:22 PM »
Brilliant!

Thanks Brian, what a great place to visit - and very interesting.

regards

John

John

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal