We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - January 2015  (Read 62232 times)

Ru

• https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin
Re: Galanthus - January 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 09:08:22 AM »
Now in my garden -13 degrees Celsius at night is -20. In the alpinhause flowered Galanthus rizehensis and forms Galanthus transcaucasicus. After 2-3 days, take photos.

In my collection there was a commemorative coin of the Republic of Adygea (Russian Federation).

A similar coin is available in ebey
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Republik-Adygea-1-Rubel-2013-/151537100020?pt=Papiergeld&hash=item234850a4f4
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 10:56:55 AM by Ru »
Ukraine, Kherson. 
Mintemp -32C (Over the last 50 years. Absolute minimum - winter of 1939-1940 -39C),
Maxtemp +41C (2005 y).
I am always glad to friends! https://www.facebook.com/ruslan.mishustin

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 12:11:07 PM »
Some snowdrops in the garden today:
Galanthus elwesii 'Paradise Giant' - one with huge flowers
Galanthus 'Rosie' - a very good early double
Galanthus elwesii 'Fieldgate prelude' -
Galanthus 'Mrs Mc Namara'

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:23 PM »
Richard

Hopefully this will scare off a lot of the buyers  :) ;D :)

I'm not sure anything would do that, even with several feet of snow I'm sure some would be found digging their way in  ;D

Tim Harberd

« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 05:39:18 PM »
Hi Ruben,
       What do you mean by ''huge flowers''  ?
       Please could you measure the length of the outer petals??

Tim DH
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 05:41:01 PM by Tim Harberd »

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 09:36:47 PM »
Attention you  USA snowdrop lovers  !

It occurs to me that there is sometimes talk in these pages about the lack of galanthus available in the US of A  and some of you may be relative newcomers here and not know that Carolyn - yes, that plant-loving person from Pennsylvania - has a snowdrop list so that American 'drop lovers (I'm sure they're too nice to be "fiends"  there !!) can source some goodies mail order from Carolyn.
Carolyn has a good eye for companion planting too- and sells a few of those too - see the list and her blogs on her website
I'll bet she still has a few drops left to cheer some new American collector ..... take a look and see  :)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Irm

• Berlin
« Reply #50 on: January 08, 2015, 11:56:41 AM »
Hi, I'm a new galanthophile - little bit. I bought some snowdrops last year. They are all in my Berlin garden, I'm not a "pot gardener"  ;)
In the moment, G.'three ships' is in flower, I bought three last year, now I have 5   :D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 12:48:12 PM by Irm »

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #51 on: January 08, 2015, 01:26:27 PM »
'Three Ships' is one of those classic snowdrops that we once had but never established - must try it again, especially to get more early forms going in the garden. Most of these are normally a little later, or from a few flowers only just beginning.

The four taller and larger flowers at the rear (from left to right):-
'Reverend Hailstone' (very good early variety given to us by David and Anke Way)
elwesii var. monostictus  (ex. Kath Dryden, originally listed as caucasicus 'Late Form'. Excellent plant)
elwesii 'Mrs McNamara' (nice tall and striking early New Year variety that has been pictured a few times)
plicatus 'Colossus' (not so colossal, but normally about the earliest of these)

In the middle-back with a typically yellowish ovary:-
'Sutton Courtenay' (this does stand out when it clumps up well in the garden - a little way to go with us)

In the front (from left to right):-
'Richard Ayres' (super double)
plicatus 'Roger's Rough' (flower still to open - named for Richard Bird's garden and a good compact well flowered plant)
nivalis 'Anglesey Abbey' (green leaves, tending to poculiform, really distinctive form)
elwesii 'Kyre Park' (new to us but a very nice well marked double)
woronowii (quite an early clump of this, well worth growing in more variety)
plicatus 'Gerard Parker' (really superb garden plant which self-seeds and is named after one of the most eminent Galanthophiles of past years)

Several of these came from the Myddelton House event last year, not so hard for those living way down in the south-east to get to; (some very nice strong looking plants like 'Diggory' and 'Wasp' still to look forward to from here last year). No virescent or yellows flowering yet, and not many of these in the garden either!
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #52 on: January 08, 2015, 01:27:45 PM »
And here is the picture :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 03:19:46 PM »
This seems unusually early for 'Anglesey Abbey' to be in flower; any nivalis in fact.  'Reverend Hailstone' also comes originally from the garden at Anglesey Abbey.
Almost in Scotland.

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 07:06:05 PM »
Attention you  USA snowdrop lovers  !

It occurs to me that there is sometimes talk in these pages about the lack of galanthus available in the US of A  and some of you may be relative newcomers here and not know that Carolyn - yes, that plant-loving person from Pennsylvania - has a snowdrop list so that American 'drop lovers (I'm sure they're too nice to be "fiends"  there !!) can source some goodies mail order from Carolyn.
Carolyn has a good eye for companion planting too- and sells a few of those too - see the list and her blogs on her website
I'll bet she still has a few drops left to cheer some new American collector ..... take a look and see  :)

Thanks so much for mentioning my snowdrop business, Maggi.  I do have a lot of fun snowdrops left in my catalogue but not for long as I am about to send it out by email to my customers.  The current post on my blog is titled "Companion Plants for Snowdrops" and can be found here: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/2015/01/05/companion-plants-for-snowdrops/. 
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2015, 07:38:57 PM »
Its good  to keep the American snowdrop lovers happy, too, Carolyn!  Thanks for your notes about the USA  "happenings"  in the events thread -  hope we'll hear more about the Winterthur event  later....  8)
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Mariette

« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2015, 09:03:34 PM »

elwesii 'Kyre Park' (new to us but a very nice well marked double)

Does Your ´Kyre Park´ actually flower as a double? Mine never did nor was expected to do so, so Yours might be a mutant.

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2015, 09:31:39 PM »
G. elwesii 'Glenchantress' (a seedling of 'Comet') in flower today.  Is this early?  There are actually 2 flowers on different scapes from the one bulb (second picture).
Cyril
Scotland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2015, 09:36:10 PM »
No, you are quite right Mariette - not double at all, it just gives the impression of this because it's such a small and broad flower superficially very like the doubles we grow :-[ (thank goodness for these little emotions we can use!)

Mariette

« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2015, 09:52:31 PM »
Indeed, it´s such a chunky one that it might be taken for a double. With me, it´s just out, but not yet open. Unfortunately, I never detected the violet scent ascribed to it.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal