We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - January 2015  (Read 62186 times)

Tim Harberd

Re: Galanthus - January 2015
« Reply #90 on: January 10, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Hi Maggie,
   Apologies from me… I see I have been an offender on the pixel size. I didn’t realise there was a problem, because (under 200kb) the website accepts them, and I don’t tend to look at photos I’ve posted on the forum.

My pictures were coming in at anything up to 1280 pixels wide.. Which I now see (having looked at some of them) does create problems… I’ll change the settings!

However Mark’s pictures…. At 800pixels…. Don’t create a problem on my screen… Am I missing the point here?

Tim DH

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #91 on: January 10, 2015, 06:36:43 PM »
Thanks for this ,  Tim.

We have found, over the years, that 760 proves the best size to be viewable on the majority of screens- just that!
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #92 on: January 10, 2015, 07:16:21 PM »
Yes I'll do that
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #93 on: January 10, 2015, 08:27:23 PM »
Thank you Mark. I would like to use GO and GO3, first and second picture. Send to my e-mail please?
A friend of mine starts a Galanthus festival. So I have to tell a lecture.....and Godfrey Owen is a snowdrop star.... in my eyes....
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

ruben

• alpines and bulbs
    • http://www.passionforbulbs.be/
« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2015, 03:58:30 PM »
Very windy but a Sunny day! A good day to fotograph some drops in flower.

Galanthus reginae-olgae 'Llo n'green'
Galanthus 'Franz Joseph' (a very good early double one)
Galanthus gracilis, a good species

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2015, 05:39:02 PM »
Galanthus 'Cressida' (neat plicatus/nivalis hybrid double) with 'Green Light' in bud to the right.  'Cressida' always flowers in January and this year I have noticed that a number of the 'Cressida' bulbs are producing two scapes; quite a feat for a double snowdrop.  I don't know if this is something I have failed to notice hitherto or whether this is just a particularly good year. A couple of other forum members have 'Cressida' so I would be interested to know if they have ever noticed her doing this.   
Almost in Scotland.

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2015, 08:16:41 PM »
Alan - 'Green Light' is not quite at that stage in our garden, but now I see where the name comes from - the foliage really does light up. Will be exciting to see this in flower  :)
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

snowdropcollector

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2015, 08:32:29 PM »
Alan, your Cressida does behave the same with me. It produces, with larger bulbs, two scapes. I noticed it last year and this year some bulbs are doing it again. It is also a good multiplier  :).
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2015, 08:37:16 PM »
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2015, 09:01:59 PM »
Very windy but a Sunny day! A good day to fotograph some drops in flower.

Galanthus reginae-olgae 'Llo n'green'
Galanthus 'Franz Joseph' (a very good early double one)
Galanthus gracilis, a good species
Ruben, G. gracilis is a very dainty species.  My G. gracilis 'Corkscrew' is nearly open but we are now having very windy, wet weather.  G. 'Franz Joseph' must be one of the best 'double' selection.  Must search for it but have not seen it on any list.  I think 'Llo n' Green' is a G. nivalis selection.
Cyril
Scotland

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Hi Maggie,
   Apologies from me… I see I have been an offender on the pixel size. I didn’t realise there was a problem, because (under 200kb) the website accepts them, and I don’t tend to look at photos I’ve posted on the forum.

My pictures were coming in at anything up to 1280 pixels wide.. Which I now see (having looked at some of them) does create problems… I’ll change the settings!

However Mark’s pictures…. At 800pixels…. Don’t create a problem on my screen… Am I missing the point here?

Tim DH

Mark's photos at 800 display on my screen with a bar under them that I have to move to see the whole photo, and I can't see it all at once.  I don't think it's my screen which is actually quite large for a laptop.  Also the parts of the photos that I can see are too big and don't look right.  I think even smaller than 760 actually looks better, not so in your face.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

freddyvl

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2015, 10:30:36 PM »
I think 'Llo n' Green' is a G. nivalis selection.
Formerly classified by G. reginae-olgae ssp vernalis based on the faint mid-line stripe on the leaves but now considered to be a G. nivalis.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2015, 09:22:34 AM »
I must admit that I have great difficulty telling nivalis and reginae-olgae ssp vernalis apart.  Some reginae-olgae have very narrow leaves with a very obvious stripe but in general I don't believe that the presence or absence of a mid-line stripe down the leaves is a reliable indicator of species.   
Almost in Scotland.

Dean C

« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2015, 08:07:10 PM »
A couple in bloom for me now. Deer Slot showing a 'proper' mark not a 'cow hoof'. An unnamed elwesii which I refer to as 'Pisces' due to a friend pointing out the inner looks like a decapitated fish and it being my zodiac sign!

Cyril L

• "Squirrel"
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2015, 09:02:57 PM »
Formerly classified by G. reginae-olgae ssp vernalis based on the faint mid-line stripe on the leaves but now considered to be a G. nivalis.
Thank you for the clarification.  Like Alan said, it is sometimes difficult to tell the difference between the two species.
Cyril
Scotland

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal