We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - January 2015  (Read 62153 times)

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
Re: Galanthus - January 2015
« Reply #150 on: January 17, 2015, 07:03:56 AM »
I planted a few dozen ordinary snowdrops some years ago and planted them in November, and not one appeared the next year.

Here the cold may also come in November, but I have planted dormant snowdrops in August or early September, and they have all done well.  Two or three months have been enough for them to form roots. I have understood that snowdrops start to form new roots at that time after the summer rest, but I don't have a lot of experience yet. One snowdrop I planted last year in October and in the spring it formed untypical flower with very short stem, I think someone said that it was most likely because it had not had enough time to root.
Leena from south of Finland

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #151 on: January 17, 2015, 07:48:00 AM »
I have accidentally lifted snowdrops in July, 22nd, that already have excellent roots
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #152 on: January 17, 2015, 07:56:30 AM »
I have accidentally lifted snowdrops in July, 22nd, that already have excellent roots

I just thought that I should lift G.nivalis different times of summer to see when the new roots start to form in my climate. Couple of years ago I lifted them in the end of June and then they still had good (old?) roots. Does the formation of roots differ in different species or is it a matter of temperature and rain?
Leena from south of Finland

carolesmith

« Reply #153 on: January 17, 2015, 10:36:37 AM »
Art Nouveau  :)     Sorry Maggi, wrong way up - help please.

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

edit by maggi ;  done now , Carole - sorry, I only just found this!  Very pretty, by the way!
« Last Edit: January 17, 2015, 12:03:32 PM by Maggi Young »
Wansford
North Cambridgeshire

ichristie

• Former President
« Reply #154 on: January 17, 2015, 11:41:11 AM »
Fantastic Carol very artistic you now have room for another nine Galanthus could set a trend,  cheers Ian the Christie kind.
Ian ...the Christie kind...
from Kirriemuir

snowdropcollector

« Reply #155 on: January 17, 2015, 01:32:48 PM »
Lovely day to spent in the garden, with the sun making the flowers go open  :D

Lord Kitchener
Rosie
Ivy Cottage Green Tip
Glenorma

Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #156 on: January 17, 2015, 02:38:37 PM »
Here the cold may also come in November, but I have planted dormant snowdrops in August or early September, and they have all done well.  Two or three months have been enough for them to form roots. I have understood that snowdrops start to form new roots at that time after the summer rest, but I don't have a lot of experience yet. One snowdrop I planted last year in October and in the spring it formed untypical flower with very short stem, I think someone said that it was most likely because it had not had enough time to root.

We were talking about planting dormant snowdrops in the fall that then came up, bloomed, and formed leaves in the fall or early winter that needed to persist through very cold winters in the US.  I mentioned losses of 'Faringdon Double' and 'Diggory' both of which send up leaves and bloom before our really cold weather sets in.  It is not about the roots because both of these cultivars were quite healthy looking in fall/early winter 2013 when they came up.  In spring 2014 they were still there but the leaves were battered and sometimes missing completely and they failed to come up in fall 2014.  I have no problem with established fall bloomers (leafers) or any that I plant in the spring of the previous year, just the plants from dormant bulbs.  This discussion isn't really relevant to the UK or other places (like the US Pacific Northwest) where weather patterns are very different and temperatures are more moderate.  For example, in January 2013, we experienced two separate periods when temperatures went down to 3 degrees F (-16 C) in Philadelphia.  I live in the suburbs so it was probably at least 5 degrees colder.  This is not unusual.  I really don't think that a dormant bulb planted in September is established in January even if it has nice roots.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

penstemon

• Bob Nold
« Reply #157 on: January 17, 2015, 05:17:01 PM »
I really don't think that a dormant bulb planted in September is established in January even if it has nice roots.

How about this for an explanation. Snowdrops don't experience a dormancy during winter (or even at any time, as far as I know). The bulbs may have enough stored energy to flower, but not to survive the whole winter. In order for them to survive they have to photosynthesize, and this means being able to produce cryoprotective sugars by pulling water from the soil. Even with roots, if the roots have not come into contact with the soil to a degree sufficient to allow them to pull as much water as necessary, leaves are damaged after experiencing cold.

So, in other words, you're right.
Bob
west of Denver, Colorado, elevation 1705.6 meters, annual precipitation ~30cm, minimum low temperature...cold...

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #158 on: January 17, 2015, 07:06:12 PM »
How about this for an explanation. Snowdrops don't experience a dormancy during winter (or even at any time, as far as I know). The bulbs may have enough stored energy to flower, but not to survive the whole winter. In order for them to survive they have to photosynthesize, and this means being able to produce cryoprotective sugars by pulling water from the soil. Even with roots, if the roots have not come into contact with the soil to a degree sufficient to allow them to pull as much water as necessary, leaves are damaged after experiencing cold.

So, in other words, you're right.

Bob, I have wondered about this issue for a while, especially since "in the green" can be controversial among snowdrop enthusiasts.  I believe that the decision about when is the best time to move/plant snowdrops should be determined by experience in the climate/garden where you are doing it and not by hard and fast rules.  My experience in the mid-Atlantic US over a long period of time with thousands of snowdrops is that spring planting is best especially if the snowdrop is fall-blooming or generally early blooming.  What is your experience in Denver?
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #159 on: January 17, 2015, 07:21:13 PM »
 Carolyn wrote :
I believe that the decision about when is the best time to move/plant snowdrops should be determined by experience in the climate/garden where you are doing it and not by hard and fast rules.

I agree that experience can be a much better teacher than  "received wisdom"  -  I'd just like to bring this  thought into this discussion:  there is "in the green" and "dormant" - and then there is  "dried out to within an inch of their lives"  - and there are many bulbs  which will not thrive if they are overly dried out. Real difference is between dry and dessicated !  Erythronium don't like to be too dry either.
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

RichardW

• Benington Lordship Gardens
« Reply #160 on: January 17, 2015, 07:23:25 PM »
Lovely day to spent in the garden, with the sun making the flowers go open  :D

Lord Kitchener
Rosie
Ivy Cottage Green Tip
Glenorma

Ivy Cottage GT is a great drop, will be after more next weekend  :)

penstemon

• Bob Nold
« Reply #161 on: January 17, 2015, 08:26:10 PM »
My experience in the mid-Atlantic US over a long period of time with thousands of snowdrops is that spring planting is best especially if the snowdrop is fall-blooming or generally early blooming.  What is your experience in Denver?

I would say, in general, that the earlier snowdrops (and cyclamen) are planted, the better. It never rains here after the first of November, and that may make a difference.

Here is "Theresa Stone", picture taken just a few minutes ago. At least I think that's what it is; I had a fence built and for some reason the people building it didn't pay any attention to my plastic labels.

Bob
west of Denver, Colorado, elevation 1705.6 meters, annual precipitation ~30cm, minimum low temperature...cold...

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #162 on: January 17, 2015, 08:33:48 PM »
first two flowers from twinscaled bulb: RON MACKENZIE
It is a good yellow colour also in the greenhouse
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #163 on: January 17, 2015, 10:02:20 PM »
Some terrific photos here again today Richard and all...and Hagen, your G. 'Ronald Mackenzie' is stand alone stunning. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

Hagen Engelmann

• treuer Schneeglöckchenfreund
    • http://www.engelmannii.de
« Reply #164 on: January 17, 2015, 10:30:28 PM »
who is who???

both well known cultivars with English names :)
Hagen Engelmann Brandenburg/Germany (80m) http://www.engelmannii.de]

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal