We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - January 2015  (Read 62163 times)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
Re: Galanthus - January 2015
« Reply #195 on: January 18, 2015, 07:38:28 PM »
And what to do with the rest?

I'm sure there are plenty who could suggest what could be done ;)
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #196 on: January 18, 2015, 07:52:01 PM »
Quote from: annew on Today at 06:02:41 PM
 And what to do with the rest?

I'm sure there are plenty who could suggest what could be done ;)

I have already dispatched to Anne, via fine carrier pigeons, the suggestion that she could trial her plants in the environs of an Aberdeen garden.......
( I think the carrier pigeons will seal the deal  - always supposing they get there in this wind  ::)  )

Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

annew

• Daff as a brush
    • Dryad Nursery: Bulbs and Botanic Cards
« Reply #197 on: January 18, 2015, 08:03:03 PM »
Well, it seems I have one for all tastes! I'll make sure none go to waste! Mariette, you are right, that would be a good combination, but so far the paler leaves go with the yellow flowers.
MINIONS! I need more minions!
Anne Wright, Dryad Nursery, Yorkshire, England

www.dryad-home.co.uk

chasw

• Another passion
    • mini40register
« Reply #198 on: January 18, 2015, 09:06:46 PM »
I had the same thought Maggie about Northamptonshire  ;) ;)
Chas Whight in Northamptonshire

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #199 on: January 18, 2015, 09:07:47 PM »
I have already dispatched to Anne, via fine carrier pigeons, the suggestion that she could trial her plants in the environs of an Aberdeen garden.......
( I think the carrier pigeons will seal the deal  - always supposing they get there in this wind  ::)  )

I don't think they'd get through the weather safely, sorry Maggi ;D

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #200 on: January 18, 2015, 10:39:10 PM »
Here's a close up of the reverse poc (RP). As you can see from the parentage, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but sometimes failure isn't all bad. :)

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Rick Goodenough

« Reply #201 on: January 19, 2015, 12:38:37 AM »
Here's a close up of the reverse poc (RP). As you can see from the parentage, it wasn't quite what I was hoping for, but sometimes failure isn't all bad. :)
Anne, your inverse poc is a stunner and given its 1/2 yellow genes, I bet a back cross with Wendy's Gold pollen may get you a gold heart on that poc. You would know better than I.  And if others send pigeons, I will talk to Gandalf to see if the Eagles are available. Beautiful work and you should be proud them all. My favorite might be Galanthus Dryad Gold F...tall and good sized mark on inners. Rick
Fanning the snowdrop flame.

emma T

• Famous original snowdrop hat lady
« Reply #202 on: January 19, 2015, 06:38:06 AM »
Mmm I'd just go in the car (if it was working ) , eagles aren't that bothered helping people
Emma Thick Glasshouse horticulturalist And Galanthophile, keeper of 2 snowdrop crushing French bulldogs. I have small hands , makes my snowdrops look big :D

annew

• Daff as a brush
« Reply #203 on: January 19, 2015, 06:48:43 AM »
I bet a back cross with Wendy's Gold pollen may get you a gold heart on that poc.
That sounds like a good plan!

www.dryad-home.co.uk

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #204 on: January 19, 2015, 07:29:48 AM »
Here lies the problem - if you found one new yellow snowdrop in your garden, you would name it wouldn't you .... ?

Actually, NO!  If it was a pure nivalis it would just get lumped into Sandersii unless it had some very exceptional qualities.  If it was pure plicatus it would likewise need to look significantly different from the other yellow ones.  I do come across yellow plicatus in the wild from time to time, yesterday for example (see picture below). 

Now, Anne, I believe your yellow snowdrops are unique being the only ones identified as nivalis x plicatus hybrids.  And they all look somewhere between nice and lovely.  But I'm sure in the same situation many professional snowdrop growers would pick one or two, based on appearance, ease of twin scaling (and hopefully garden-worthiness) and suppress the rest so the world never gets to hear about them.  Too many similar ones and you devalue the currency.  Just find the others a spot in your garden/nursery where they can grow, possibly interbreed and see if nature can improve on what you have achieved already.         
« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 08:39:23 AM by Alan_b »
Almost in Scotland.

Leena

• Leena's You Tube Videos
« Reply #205 on: January 19, 2015, 07:40:26 AM »
Dryad Gold 5 appears to make a difference, having broader ATPs, which render an umbrella-like shape to the flower. Although I like the elegant shape of the others as well. Before You send any to the compost-heap - they´d be very welcome here!

I like no 5 best, the same reason as Mariette, but I would also welcome any one of those in my garden. :)
You can sell them as a mix. ;)
Leena from south of Finland

Tim Ingram

• Umbels amongst others
« Reply #206 on: January 19, 2015, 08:16:35 AM »
I would agree with Alan - they would all fit effectively into a 'Dryad Gold' Group or Grex unless any one stood out especially, and from a gardener's perspective this would be a plant like 'Wendy's Gold' which is such an excellent garden plant. I think all Galanthophiles will be full of admiration and excited by the further possibilities of your crossing programme. Garden worthiness is the key rather than just looks so it would be good to trial them under your present numbering system, maybe in friend's gardens too (suddenly you will have a lot of these ;)) and in time give one the title 'Dryad Gold Star' (or such like) to distinguish it from the 'Dryad Gold' Group/Grex. I think there will be a pretty good following for all of them! :D
Dr. Timothy John Ingram. Nurseryman & gardener with strong interest in plants of Mediterranean-type climates and dryland alpines. Garden in Kent, UK. www.coptonash.plus.com

Maggi Young

• Forum Dogsbody
  • Global Moderator
  • "There's often a clue"
    • International Rock Gardener e-magazine
« Reply #207 on: January 19, 2015, 09:29:06 AM »
Mmm I'd just go in the car (if it was working ) , eagles aren't that bothered helping people

I'm a tad worried - eagles eat pigeons  ::) 
Is you car still very sick, Emma?
Margaret Young in Aberdeen, North East Scotland Zone 7 -ish!

Editor: International Rock Gardener e-magazine

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #208 on: January 19, 2015, 10:27:54 AM »
G. plicatus 'Warham'  - am I talking about the correct snowdrop?  Or is G. plicatus x byzanthinus ex Warham something different.

Sorry Paddy I missed this earlier.  You may be talking about the same thing and you may not!  With bulbs provenance is everything.  My G.plicatus ex Warham is not yet in flower and I haven't yet looked at G. 'Warham Rectory' to see what that's doing. It seems to me that it must have been a fantastic visit to Warham as that's where G. 'Fatty Puff' and G. 'Diggory' originate too.

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #209 on: January 19, 2015, 10:54:40 AM »
Anne, your inverse poc is a stunner and given its 1/2 yellow genes, I bet a back cross with Wendy's Gold pollen may get you a gold heart on that poc.

Galanthus 'Heart of Gold', eh?  That one would be a winner!
Almost in Scotland.

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal