We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Galanthus - January 2015  (Read 62140 times)

kentish_lass

• Nothing succeeds like excess
    • Jennie's Daylilies
Re: Galanthus - January 2015
« Reply #375 on: January 30, 2015, 06:04:20 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments re. Swift Moth larvae.  Alan I am going to remove Hemerocallis from a raised bed in partial shade and use it as a Galanthus bed and cover with netting as you do.  I do not have a great deal of luck with potted plants so this may work better.  How do you secure your netting to the ground - bricks, pegs?  Do you raise it off the ground using posts?

I have been wondering if I could make individual net covers using strong wire into a tee pee and wrapping netting around as sewing the netting onto the baskets is arduous to say the least!  However, wherever I have covered the bulbs with baskets I have not had any losses as far as I can tell.

I do see Swift Moth larvae quite often in my soil but hoped they would not make it into the woodland area where my snowdrops are planted - WRONG!  As Tim said - it is always the coveted snowdrops that seem to get attacked  :'(
Jennie in Kent, England

To plant a garden is to believe in tomorrow.......

my blog:  http://pick-a-lily.squarespace.com/

My pics: https://picasaweb.google.com/jenniesivyer

Alan_b

• 'finder of the light'
« Reply #376 on: January 30, 2015, 06:49:25 PM »
Jenny, I use canes with ceramic balls on the top to raise the netting above the bed and weigh-down the edges with anything heavy I can find - such as bricks.  If you want to be really professional/up-market then something like this might work http://www.harrodhorticultural.com/plastic-raised-beds-and-protection-cid7.html

Swift Moths lay their eggs on the wing, apparently, so I use the finest mesh netting I can find in the hope that eggs would not fall through.  This should work against Narcissus Fly also
Almost in Scotland.

Dean C

« Reply #377 on: January 30, 2015, 07:29:40 PM »
John Gray, Diggory and Glenchantress  :)

Brian Ellis

• Brian the Britisher
  • 'Dropoholic
« Reply #378 on: January 30, 2015, 07:34:02 PM »
Super snowdrops Dean, and so clean :o
Brian Ellis, Brooke, Norfolk UK. altitude 30m Mintemp -8C

Carolyn Walker

• American Galanthophile
    • Carolyn's Shade Gardens
« Reply #379 on: January 30, 2015, 07:58:10 PM »
Thanks everyone for your comments re. Swift Moth larvae.  Alan I am going to remove Hemerocallis from a raised bed in partial shade and use it as a Galanthus bed and cover with netting as you do.  I do not have a great deal of luck with potted plants so this may work better.  How do you secure your netting to the ground - bricks, pegs?  Do you raise it off the ground using posts?

I have been wondering if I could make individual net covers using strong wire into a tee pee and wrapping netting around as sewing the netting onto the baskets is arduous to say the least!  However, wherever I have covered the bulbs with baskets I have not had any losses as far as I can tell.

I do see Swift Moth larvae quite often in my soil but hoped they would not make it into the woodland area where my snowdrops are planted - WRONG!  As Tim said - it is always the coveted snowdrops that seem to get attacked  :'(

Jennie,  I find that the jerry-rigged methods usually are hard to put in place and usually fall apart not to mention storing them.  I cover my snowdrops to prevent rodent damage when newly planted with a product called a Low Pest Control Pop Up in either 4x4 feet or 4x8 feet: http://www.gardeners.com/buy/low-pest-control-pop-ups/8587837RS.html?start=13&cgid=GardenPestControls_Cat.  It pops open like a children's play tent and is just as easy to fold back up flat and small for storage.  Being green it stays clean but still let's in enough light. It comes with attached loops and metal stakes to hold it down tight.  Good for theft deterrent too.  Made by Gardener's Supply in the US.
Carolyn in Bryn Mawr, Pennsylvania, U.S.
website/blog: http://carolynsshadegardens.com/

Dean C

« Reply #380 on: January 30, 2015, 08:08:37 PM »
Super snowdrops Dean, and so clean :o
Thanks Brian, they've had enough 'rinsing' in this weather and a great airing last night in the wind! Got my John Gray in the rock garden as the grit mulch keeps it clean when it droops!

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #382 on: January 31, 2015, 12:35:39 PM »
6 or maybe 7 days open and despite warm days and windowsill treatment 'Moortown Mighty' still doesn't open wide enough to show off the inners. The outers are too thick to do the snowdrop pinch. Today I gently raised the flower by resting two outers on two fingers

First time growing Galanthus graecus.

'Moortown Mighty'
Galanthus graecus
Antrim, Northern Ireland Z8
www.snowdropinfo.com / www.marksgardenplants.com / www.saveourswifts.co.uk

When the swifts arrive empty the green house

All photos taken with a Canon 900T and 230

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #383 on: January 31, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »
Very happy to see my group of Trumps has almost doubled the number of flowering sized bulbs since last year

Yann

• Journal Access Group
  • Growing and collecting plants since i was young
« Reply #384 on: January 31, 2015, 04:45:36 PM »
Galanthus 'Primrose Warburg'
North of France

Uwe

« Reply #385 on: January 31, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »

a nice garden-center find (nivalis )  from this week , here a little more green than usual at the nivalis with green tips  :)

snowdropcollector

« Reply #386 on: January 31, 2015, 08:02:46 PM »
Nice find Uwe :), try to find some more.
Richard, Netherlands....building up my collection again

Anne Repnow

« Reply #387 on: January 31, 2015, 08:06:30 PM »
That clump of 'Trumps' is gorgeous, Mark!  :o
Well done, Uwe, you must have a good eye for these special beauties. An excellent find.

My 'Modern Art' is doing weird things. Besides producing perfectly normal scapes, it produces very short ones with flowers which have hardly any spathe. Is that something that happens regularly?
Anne Repnow gardening near Heidelberg in Germany
carpe diem, quam minimum credula postero

carolesmith

« Reply #388 on: January 31, 2015, 08:26:27 PM »
I think you may have posted a picture of 'Modern Art' and 'Courteen Hall'. ???
Thanks Steve you are quite right  - I do have a problem with the names "Modern Art" and "Art Nouveau" - although I am quite happy distinguishing the drops. I will try and amend my posting.
Wansford
North Cambridgeshire

mark smyth

• Hopeless Galanthophile
« Reply #389 on: January 31, 2015, 09:55:14 PM »
Jo very briefly shows off 'Wind Turbine' 3.30 minutes in
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b050b6qd/spotlight-31012015

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal