We hope you have enjoyed the SRGC Forum. You can make a Paypal donation to the SRGC by clicking the above button

Author Topic: Cyclamen 2015  (Read 61086 times)

David Nicholson

• Hawkeye
  • Journal Access Group
  • Why can't I play like Clapton
Re: Cyclamen 2015
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2015, 07:13:25 PM »
  Hans - that is one good looking Coum

I think so too ;D
David Nicholson
in Devon, UK  Zone 9b
"Victims of satire who are overly defensive, who cry "foul" or just winge to high heaven, might take pause and consider what exactly it is that leaves them so sensitive, when they were happy with satire when they were on the side dishing it out"

krisderaeymaeker

• former president Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging
    • Vlaamse Rotsplanten Vereniging  Flemish Rock Garden Club site and Forum
« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2015, 08:19:40 PM »
nice flowers today :
Cyclamen coum "Porcelain"
Hans 8)

Oh yes , great plant indeed ! 
Kris De Raeymaeker
from an ancient Roman settlement near the Rupel
Belgium

"even the truth is very often only perception"

"Small plants make great friends"

Hans J

• Gardener and Gourmet
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2015, 09:14:24 PM »
Thank you all for your compliments  :D

Hans
"The bigger the roof damage, the better the view"(Alexandra Potter)

SJW

« Reply #48 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:39 PM »
Some coum flowering in the greenhouse.
Steve Walters, West Yorkshire

SJW

« Reply #49 on: January 19, 2015, 01:26:12 PM »
And, washing my dirty linen in public, here's what happens when you get the watering wrong and water collects on the crown. Really stupid! Particularly annoyed about the Maurice Dryden, it's one of my oldest coums and I repotted from clay into a larger plastic pot last autumn with a view to then double potting for showing in the Spring as the plant can flop a bit otherwise. I should really have been much more careful after moving the plant into plastic. I don't think I'll be overly troubling the judges...!

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #50 on: January 19, 2015, 05:13:20 PM »
Hi steve I know where your coming from I've done the same with a loverly scented Coum, just hoped I've saved it. While I'm at it come anybody give me some advice please, I recieved a delivery of cyclamen today, 6 plants in all in growth,  in plastic bags. I can't plant them till the weekend as its dark when I get home from work, what's the best way to store them till then. Thanks John
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

Graeme

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2015, 05:47:19 PM »
Thank you all for your compliments  :D

Hans
another one on my wants list.........
"Never believe anything you read on the Internet" Oscar Wilde

SJW

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2015, 11:59:41 PM »
Hi steve I know where your coming from I've done the same with a loverly scented Coum, just hoped I've saved it. While I'm at it come anybody give me some advice please, I recieved a delivery of cyclamen today, 6 plants in all in growth,  in plastic bags. I can't plant them till the weekend as its dark when I get home from work, what's the best way to store them till then. Thanks John

John - it would probably be ok to leave them in the bags to contain the roots but open the tops so that air can circulate. Then just put them somewhere cool and in good light indoors until the weekend.

johnstephen29

• Hello from East Lincolnshire
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2015, 10:47:48 AM »
Thanks for the advice Steve, your a star.
John, Toynton St Peter Lincolnshire

ruweiss

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2015, 08:18:29 PM »
Yesterday in our meadow garden - rain and snow, +2°C, but the self sown
Cyclamen coum in the grass did not mind. Rather early for my taste.
Rudi Weiss,Waiblingen,southern Germany,
climate zone 8a,elevation 250 m

SJW

« Reply #55 on: January 27, 2015, 02:08:46 PM »
Lesley's posting in the "January 2015 in the Southern Hemisphere" thread about the disappearance of Trillium seed pods has prompted me to post these two photos. The first is a dark flowering hederifolium that was covered in leaves in the autumn. The second is a purpurascens. Not a pretty sight. I know that rodents are partial to cyclamen seed pods(although I've never lost any that way) but in all my years of growing cyclamen I have never seen a plant's leaves munched right back to the top dressing like this >:(. I think it must have been mice (judging from the evidence in the traps that I subsequently set) but fairly unusual I'd have thought. It's not as though we're having a severe winter with freezing temperatures and snow cover and the rodents desperate for food - there must be plenty about for them to eat. Nothing else has been touched, just a few cyclamen in pots...

Melvyn Jope

« Reply #56 on: January 27, 2015, 04:21:15 PM »
Hello Steve, do you think it might be worth looking at night with a torch or remove the grit on the pot to see if anything is hiding just to ensure its not caterpiller damage?

Matt T

• Nuts about Narcissus
« Reply #57 on: January 27, 2015, 04:36:59 PM »
Wouldn't mice prefer to tuck into a fat, juicy tuber rather than the leaves? I'd be inclined to see if any other critter might also be lurking/visiting.
Matt Topsfield
Isle of Benbecula, Western Isles where it is mild, windy and wet! Zone 9b

"There is no mistake too dumb for us to make"

johnw

• rhodo-galantho-etc-phile
« Reply #58 on: January 27, 2015, 04:55:29 PM »
One autumn I moved a big Maddenia into the greenhouse and set the tub on bricks.  Unbeknownst to us a mouse moved in through the drainage hole and set up home and family.  That was until one morning when all the cyclamen leaves were eaten and some tubers thrown hither and yon.  Most of the plants survived though some took a few years to make new growing points.

Snow ankle deep here though the Annapolis Valley had a raging blizzard, already 2 ft of snow there as of 11am, more to come.  Boston seems to be getting the worst of it.
John in coastal Nova Scotia

SJW

« Reply #59 on: January 27, 2015, 05:19:03 PM »
Melvyn, Matt - yes, I was a bit mystified and initially thought it could be slug or caterpillar damage but there is no trace of slug or snail trails on the pots and no caterpillar frass either. I've also not come across caterpillar damage quite so extensive - they don't usually help themselves to all the leaves! It's also happened to a number of pots and the common denominator is that they were all on the greenhouse floor rather than the bench (run out of room!). I'll check again tonight and also remove the top dressing just to make sure but in the end all I could conclude was that it's bl**y mice!

Scottish Rock Garden Club is a Charity registered with Scottish Charity Regulator (OSCR): SC000942
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal